Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-27-2003, 09:02 AM   #1
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: World Superbike and Supersport Lineup

Thanks Longride:

KPaul should be pleased to note that there are a couple of Italian Kwackers, a 1000 gixxer and a couple of R1s contesting WSB this year.

Looks like Aprilia will sit out this year -- guess the MotoGP effort takes all their resources.

Cheers

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-27-2003, 09:41 AM   #2
KPaulCook
Banned

Yep, just a matter of time. Maybe Aprilia will be back with a production triple (see their V-Twin is now obsolete )if the rules allow.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 11:39 AM   #3
MuzzyMatt
Founding Member

Racing is racing is racing...

I don't care if the lineup of bikes is reduced this year and mostly Ducati--IT"S STILL MOTORCYCLE RACING AND IT"S STILL FUN AS HELL TO WATCH!

And, KPaul, the Sporting Twin will never be obsolete to those who enjoy plentiful torque throughout the rev-range.
MuzzyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 02:39 PM   #4
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Why then?

"the Sporting Twin will never be obsolete to those who enjoy plentiful torque throughout the rev-range" Then why aren't their Twins in MotoGp.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 04:15 PM   #5
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

It looks like the 600s are raising the bar pretty high this year, still waiting for the Honda to weigh in. The 600s (AMA and World Supersport)might be almost as interesting to follow as MotoGP this year. Lucky us!
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 10:17 AM   #6
hawkrider
Founding Member

Default Re: Why then?

Think real world application for a moment. Most of us who ride enjoy our bikes for different reasons. My V-twin suites me, the power delivery, handling etc. Not everything hinges on racing applications.

My new 745Li does not have a Williams GP spec BMW engine under the hood. It must be therefore, "obsolete". Get my point?

Based on your theory the inline four is obsolete in Moto GP! Last time I checked the Honda V5 is the dominant powerplant.

RIP Inline four...
hawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 10:29 AM   #7
rsheidler
Founding Member

I guess that since V-10s are the dominant powerplant in Formula 1, those of us who drive around in cars powered by inline4s and 6s, V6s and V8s are all making due with obsolete peices of crap?

Cheers

Bob
Old 01-28-2003, 10:34 AM   #8
rsheidler
Founding Member

To bad that we probably will not see any of the World Supersport races televised here.

I often find the so called "support classes" to provide some of the best racing -- eg 250GPs and Pro Thunder in AMA (both sadly history - RIP), 125 and 250 GPs in MotoGP etc.

At least we SHOULD get pretty good TV coverage of the AMA 600s. Might well be the best of the lot for race spectators.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:44 AM   #9
hawkrider
Founding Member

Sir you are indeed wise!
hawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 03:40 PM   #10
rsheidler
Founding Member

I would love to have to put up with your obsolete peice of crap 745L1!

As to the V5 being the dominant powerplant, I am predicting (OK, there is a large element of wishful thinking here) that an inline 4 (Yamaha), V4 (Ducati) or maybe even inline 3 (Aprilia) will have somthing to say about that for 2003.

Barros and Checha were damn fast in testing at Valencia, and Capi and Troy have been really fast on the new Ducati, so perhaps the dominant engine configuration is still to be determined.

Bob