Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-25-2003, 01:52 PM   #1
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Manx Dreams - You Too Can...

Cool bike, way too much scratch, probably a Jay Leno special or some other rich-*****. outta` my league
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-25-2003, 04:58 PM   #2
Pacer
Founding Member

You don't want one anymore because you can afford a car? Someday I hope to build a cool vintage cafe racer. Until that happens I will just keep riding my fizzer.
Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 05:16 PM   #3
GogglesPaisano
Founding Member

Default Re: Manx Dreams - You Too Can..?

You could approximate the style for way less scratch than that.

Don't get me wrong, that's one _gorgeous_ Norton, but spend a year accumulating parts and a good bike to base it on and you'll have a less-trick but still-good-on-the-street Norton cafe racer.

Hell, take one Commando and add clubmans, fairing, tank, bob the tail, and throw some period pipes on it and you're there! I'm seriously considering doing similar...

-=Goggles=-
GogglesPaisano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 05:35 PM   #4
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Romance is dead...

Look up the Manx on the internet, guys. Ride it and die.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 06:44 PM   #5
dwr461
Founding Member

Great looking bike. But I would buy a Royal Enfield and do the cafe racer kit. Compared to the $18,000 for this Norton, you could completely rebuild it's engine with performance mods and still have enough money to buy another bike. And I wouldn't feel bad about racing the Royal Enfield like I would the Manx.

Take care,

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 12:02 AM   #6
xmike5
Founding Member

I CAN afford a car, but I CAN'T afford that.
xmike5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 04:18 AM   #7
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Not me

Beautiful bike but way over my head.

Instead, I built an SR500 cafe racer with aluminum tank from the Tank Shop, Guliari seat, etc, etc. Now I have similar performance with a measure of style and panache, all for under $1500.

Old 01-26-2003, 06:08 AM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

I never rode a Norton single, but a friend had a 1954 BSA B-33 500cc single. It was the first year of swing arm rear suspension. Another friend had a 1951 BSA 500 with the hardtail. I rode them both a few times. I used the '54 to get my motorcycle license. You had to run-and-bump start it because you could stand on the kickstarter with both feet and it would not kick through. This meant you had to park it on a hill. Tune-ups were a real treat because someone had welded the points backing plate to the case, so you had to loosen the entire assembly and tweak the crankshaft to set the points.

Both had the same brakes, which is to say you would have done nearly as well to just use a stick like a soapbox racer.

These bikes are nostaligia rides only. Pick a sunday and ride early before anyine else is on the road. Better yet, buy a poster or a Revell kit and spend the money on a used Concours, a used Gixxer and a used dirtbike. And still have enough left to buy a used truck to haul the dirtbike in.
Old 01-26-2003, 07:16 AM   #9
rsheidler
Founding Member

I want it, but the price/performance ratio just won't meet KPaul's standards!

Seriously, as much as I lust for something like that, I have gotten spoiled by real brakes and suspension over the past 30+ years. Guess I will have to continue with my SR500 project (similar to what pplasm did). Plus, my SR has sentimental value -- my first race bike and the vehicle my wife and I took on our first date.

But damn, that Manx looks great!
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 07:24 AM   #10
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Clarification for MO staff

That's a lot of scratch for a relic! Get a Gixer AND a dirtbike, man! --MO

It's not a relic, it's a replica. The engine is a re-do of the original using modern materials and mods that Norton should have made to improve reliability and retain oil. Power is like 20% up over the original. Costs L7,800.00 in the box.

One of these has done 4 years of vintage racing in the USA without a rebuild.

They build racing, racing/road-going and touring models. This one is pure race of course.

I wouldn't buy one either, but it's cheaper than the original when you allow for inflation since 1964.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote