Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Manx Dreams - You Too Can... (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/1559-manx-dreams-you-too-can.html)

jmeyn 01-26-2003 06:27 AM

Re: Manx Dreams - You Too Can...

Plus how do you like that seat? They probably provide aftermarket spikes for those who can't handle the luxury.

jmeyn 01-26-2003 06:31 AM

Thanks rsheidler! I can always count on you to understand my posts.

I'm with you on the brakes and suspension. Those things were deadly dangerous. What great riders they had!

jmeyn 01-26-2003 06:45 AM

Re: Manx Dreams - You Too Can..?

You can get most of the cosmetic parts from England on the web. Replicas, and not cheap.

The only advantage of this Manx is that it is certified legal for vintage racing yet has a reliable bullet-proof engine. Unfortunately you have to race with original Norton brakes. LOL.

18 grand for a street version (which is available) is crazy, as you say.

longride 01-26-2003 07:44 AM

Old British bikes can do strange things to your mind. I still love the old Triumphs, Nortons, and BSA's of old. Sometimes people just don't understand........

sqidbait 01-26-2003 08:26 AM

The entry on Ebay has a link to a personal website. If you follow that link, you'll find that this guy is trying to sell a lot of bikes...

http://www.geocities.com/faespratt/

AJS7R

Ducati 955 race bike

Indian 50

Matisse

T100R

...and a bunch of others...

-- Michael

jmeyn 01-26-2003 11:14 AM

Something about the really crazy guys that rode them, and the legendary race venues. Mike Hailwood made a terrible development rider because he'd never complain about a bike; just find a way to ride around the problem.

ImprezaRS 01-27-2003 04:34 AM

you'll also see he's exceded his bandwidth allocation... :-/

AO

seruzawa 01-27-2003 05:06 AM

I always lusted after a BSA Lightning Rocket, back when the largest Honda was a 305 SuperHawk (a jewel of a bike itself, for the time, why they replaced it with the comparatively crappy CB350 I'll never know, but I digress).

I still love the things. It's just too bad that the fiction of the dream or riding them becomes punctuated with the reality of the smell of smoking Lucas electrics. Too bad the Brits were too hidebound to change. Coupled with the anti-business policies of Britain's Labour govts of that era they simply couldn't compete with the Japanese.

Still, I saw someone riding a pre-unit 650 a couple of months ago. I wonder if I could find a fixer upper anywhere.......

SlowBear 01-27-2003 06:56 AM

Seruzawa,

The myth that the British labor government a much to do with the death of the British motorcycle industry has been repeated so many time people just assume it is true. Take a look at Burt Hopwood's book "What Ever Happened To The British Motorcycle Industry". Once you get past Mr. Hopwood's tendency to vilify people, specifically Edward Turner, and excuse his own mistakes you'll find some interesting things.

The first one is that by the time the Labor government came to power it was much to late for anything to save the industry. Not even going into what killed all the others (James, Matchless, AJS, etc.) and lost the lightweights battles take a look at the prototype three cylinder Hopwood and Doug Hele built in '65 (pages 214 to 217) the amazingly ugly 1969 triple (page 229) and the 1971 version that finally sold well (page 230). Anybody want to guess how well the prototype would have sold in '66 without the Honda CB750 or Kawasaki 500 on the market for three and two years respectively?

The British killed themselves, government stupidity (Conservative and Labor) provided a little help but saying the government had a role is like saying the person who made the rope has a role when people hang themselves. Specifically blaming Labor would be like blaming the person who finds the body, if they'd just gotten there sooner he might have lived. The British just proved that capitalism works, a group of companies didn't make what people wanted, another group did. The former failed and the later thrived.

SlowBear

seruzawa 01-27-2003 07:23 AM

I didn't mean to place the major blame on the anti-business practices of the time. Obviously smart management could (and with other companies did) find a way around govt stupidity. Those companies had only themselves to blame for their failures. Britain in general was on the downslope.

They proved that it is difficult to sell 1930's quality vehicles in 1970. American autos nearly went the same route, even without the anti-business interfrence of the govt.

If it weren't for the Japanese the American and British auto industries would probably still be building 30's quality cars today.