Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-24-2003, 02:55 AM   #1
pplassm
Founding Member

Default No Guzzi?

How about KTM, Gas Gas, Vertemati, VOR, Beta, or TM? Every time I go to these shows (At least here in the US) I am dissappointed. A few years of living in Europe had me spoiled with the bi-yearly show at Munich.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-24-2003, 04:29 AM   #2
intruderman
Founding Member

Default Re: No Guzzi?

Yeah, it seems the Euro market for bikes is much more diverse than ours.
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 04:32 AM   #3
intruderman
Founding Member

Default Re: Atlanta IMS Show: Personal Observations

I'm glad you mentioned the Benelli. It was stuck near a low traffic part of the arena and would have been easy to miss. It was stunning wasn't it? There was a Benelli dealer on hand and he was guessing there wouldn't be more than 30 of the high-end spec Tornado Tre's brought into the USA. Talk about exclusivity!
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 08:08 AM   #4
decotriumph
Founding Member

Default Re: No Guzzi?

Gas Gas and Vertemati were represented. The Observed Trials demo used Gas Gas bikes as well. None of the others you mentioned were there.
decotriumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 08:10 AM   #5
decotriumph
Founding Member

The Benelli was excellent. If I weren't old, fat and broke, I'd buy one! I hope they do well and can get some good dealers set-up in the US.
Old 01-24-2003, 09:33 AM   #6
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Defending the Kawasaki Concours

"The local Kawasaki dealer honestly advised me to buy the BMW then, saying it was a better bike. The Concours hasn’t changed in those ten ensuing years, "

What is the price difference between the BMW and Concours? Did you ride a Concours vs the BMW? If so wasn't the BMW more crude motowise? What about the Kawasaki ZZR1200?

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 10:03 AM   #7
decotriumph
Founding Member

Default Re: Defending the Kawasaki Concours

Well, that WAS ten years ago. The BMW was a new model then, with paralever suspension, etc. The Concours reminded me of my early 1980s Suzukis, ten yeras after. There was nothing wrong with the Kaw; it just didn't have any personality. I prefer twins and triples to buzzy four cylinders, so I liked the BMW motor better. The BMW was a little more expensive, but resale is better on the Beemer. As far as the riding experience, the Concours seemed cruder to me.

I don't know about the ZZR1200. It looks good, but i haven't ridden one yet....maybe during Bike Week I'll get a chance.
Old 01-24-2003, 11:12 AM   #8
maladg
Registered Member

I thought the Honda Rune was pretty interesting. If Captain Nemo built a custom for Buzz Lightyear, it would probably look something like the Rune. Of course I have NO interest in owning anything like it.

I was suprised that KTM was not at the Atlanta show, considering that their sales numbers are up - maybe they were there and I just missed 'em. BMW's exhibit was just flat dull. These folks really need some new product-and I'm a bit predisposed to like Beemers. At least BMW's exhibit was not as boring as the Harley's.

Vendor exhibit numbers were down, too. MIA were MOTORPORT, KENDON, and numerous others.

Several posts have mentioned that Guzzi was MIA. Well, it is not the first time. Actually they have not been at the ATL show in at least 3 years.

We were pleased to FINALLY see an FJR1300. One of lifes little mysteries - why Yamaha has been so determined to make sure as few people as possible even see an FJR for so long. Hey suits, BRILLIANT marketing! For this late 40's, beltline challenged fellow, the ST13 felt a bit more comfy than the FJR, but the ST"s seat was in the max up position. I watched a Honda rep lower it, but did not try the lower position. I don't remember any mag testers mentioning the ultra sano way that the FJR's bags detach.

Friday attendance was light. A business friend reports same for Sunday. Hope it was packed on Sat. For about 4 years, ATL had NO BIKE SHOW. We don't want to be exiled back to show Siberia - ie- the awful and laughable local dealer show, featuring JB Redneck and the Cheap Dumbass Band - you have to see em to believe it and revel in the utter awfulness of it all.

Bottom line - other than the FJR and ST13, not a lot to interest me - no eye candy at all, even at Aprilia. Ducati did not show - the ones I saw were there courtesy of a local dealer....not a great show this year. I suppose the down economy is mostly to blame. There is always next year!
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 11:52 AM   #9
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Defending the Kawasaki Concours

The Concours will forever be stuck with the label "good bike for the money."

It works very well and the engine rips above 6000 RPM but is a bit gutless down low. It was basically a knock-off of the BMW K100.

I've got quite a few miles on a friend's Concours and it is a decent bike but very appliance-like and boring. The 80s motor is also very buzzy through the bars.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 11:55 AM   #10
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Rune: swing and a miss

Honda is a little late to the party with the Rune styling. If one follows current customizing trends, the "street sweeper" fender style is long gone. The old school chopper look is what's in right now.

I think the Victory Vegas is really right on the money. It's superior to Victory's old designs which were very disjointed and not flowing at all, more like a collection of parts.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote