Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-23-2003, 07:35 AM   #1
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Ask the CHP

Maybe you guys know this already but.
[*] What kind of bikes are in your fleet? Which are the most reliable? fun to ride?
[*] What kind of trends are they noticing? SUV road rage? Cell phone ?
[*] What are the common mistakes motorcylcist make? i.e. What is their gut feel for the major causes of motorcyle accidents ?
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2003, 08:00 AM   #2
obandoj
Founding Member

Do you wear Easy Leakers?
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 08:14 AM   #3
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

What an opportunity. A couple of questions:

How many CHP officers own a personal bike?

Where does the motorcycle patrol learn to handle their service bikes so well? Wouldn't it be useful to offer the same training to citizens?

I've been riding a lot of years and watching M/C cops ride while on duty is always an example of premier riding skill.

Thanks!
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 08:15 AM   #4
bobbob_3
Founding Member

Why ride 2-abreast with open face helmets (as here in VA) as opposed to staggered with full face helmets?
bobbob_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 08:16 AM   #5
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default Questions for coppers ....

lane sharing is a fact of life here in sunny california, and while i've never been ticketed, i've ocassionally had a finger waggled at me. i'm curious as to what kind of lane-sharing practices might trigger a ticket. also: what kinds of bike modifications are likely to get a ticket? do they pretty much ignore exhaust mods?

finally: these guys must see plenty of motorcycle accidents. what is the most common mistake riders make that could cost them their lives? i mean beyond the obvious (drinking and riding).

thanks for this opportunity ...
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 08:32 AM   #6
Bikeaddict
Founding Member

How many miles do they ride a day on average?

Any types of injuries specific to just riding?

Are they allowed to wear better protective gear than jackets and openfaced helmets?

What specialized defensive manuevers are taught (like if a felon tries to run them off the road or use the car to take them out?).

How many duty hours do they spend on bikes?

BikeAddict
Bikeaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 08:38 AM   #7
dug
Founding Member

While I realize that the CHP has more motorcycle oriented training than the average rider,

Why do they wear such little personal protection?

In the warmer months, open-faced helmets, short-sleeved uniforms and leather work gloves seem to be the extent (barring the high boots, which still don't seem to afford any crush protection).
dug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 08:48 AM   #8
johnnyb
Founding Member

Yeah, and is there a RULE that says IQ must be below 80? Oh come on, I'm KIDDING...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 08:56 AM   #9
VAX
Founding Member

I once saw a group of 8 or 10 CHP motor officers riding on California highway 33 in Ventura County. It was apparently a training run and they were ripping along pretty good in the Sespe Gorge area.
VAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 09:04 AM   #10
dsouthard
Registered Member

Why are you guys so unhappy?

I have a 25mi commute that I ususally do by motorcycle (N. Vasco in the bay area, currently on a white xb9r, not speeding, honest). Like most other motorcyclists, I usually give oncoming bikers a friendly wave. Most of the time, the other riders wave back -- motorycylists are a gregarious bunch.

The exceptions to the "wave back rule" are a few Harley owners and all CHP riders.

I can understand the Harley guys. They just spent a lot of money on bolt-on chrome accossories and a leather costume so that they'd look like some approximation of a real Harley biker. A friendly wave is out of character with the image they are spending their .com $'s trying to portray.

But the CHP riders confuse me -- they are getting paid to ride a motorcycle in California! Why be so unhappy? Would you rather be in a cage? Are the bikes too slow handling? Do you hate other riders? Can't take the left hand off the bars? What gives?

Just curious....

dsouthard is offline   Reply With Quote