Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Motorcycle Crash Study Update (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/1548-motorcycle-crash-study-update.html)

DeadVFR 01-23-2003 03:52 AM

Re: Motorcycle Crash Study Update

So tempted to say 'First Post', but I won't....

Abe_Froman 01-23-2003 04:31 AM

"Edward Moreland, AMA vice president for government relations, urged motorcyclists to contact their U.S. representatives and senators to ask them to support the House funding for motor-vehicle safety research that is included in HR 5559.

'The funding is a far cry from the amount needed for a comprehensive motorcycle accident study, but it's a move in the right direction, Moreland said.'"

I will not be renewing my membership to the AMA. Even a motorcyclist organization cannot refrain from demanding money from the public teat, I guess. If this study will be so great, pass around the plate to citizens who will pay for it willingly. If no one will, it's obvious that we don't want it very much, and we don't need the feddle gubmint to tell us "well, if you won't pay for it, we'll just take the money off you to do it."

seruzawa 01-23-2003 04:48 AM

A comprehensive safety study could be a good thing. It all depends on the political climate.

If we have an administration that is similar to the looneys who ran Jimmy Carter's DOT then expect to see the data cooked to support the elimination of motorcycles altogether. At the very least you would see a concerted effort to put in horsepower limits, as the DOT bureaucrats have before.

Who knows what insane ideas they might come up with. Back then the DOT was poised to require linked braking on all motorcycles. They even wasted a bunch of money trying to develop a "safe" motorcycle with, get this, rear wheel steering. Expect ABS to be required at the very least, which could be a good thing if it's cost can be kept down.

If we have an adminstration that is less intrusive and more concerned with doing something decent than just bureaucratic empire-building maybe some good will come of it.

Most likely we'll just see some useless band-aid proposed and the cagers will continue to get away with murder with their phony "I didn't see him" excuse. I don't mean to be pessimistic, but the history of this sort of government involvement in bike safety leaves much to be desired.

saddlebag 01-23-2003 04:55 AM

I think the AMA has good intentions and one has to be realistic. There are many important projects that would never be realized if one waited for public charitable contributions.

Nevertheless, in this case I think the AMA is shooting us in the foot. They will inevitably find that speeding, stunting, drinking, and riding without full armor can be hard on one's health. This will only give the government more ammo to increase traffic fines, lower BAT levels, mandate dress, etc.

Perhaps its a self perpetuating scheme, force the government to crack down and then fight against them.

KPR_1 01-23-2003 05:12 AM

I'm afraid it will lead to mandatory helmet use. I want to make that decision myself.

mconlon 01-23-2003 05:15 AM

Good thing you didn't say that...

Abe_Froman 01-23-2003 05:18 AM

Important projects? Important to whom, sir? My freedom is the only federal "government project" that is important to me, and they have done an extremely poor job handling that one.

Abe_Froman 01-23-2003 05:20 AM

I beg to differ----the history of government involvement with virtually anything leaves nothing to be desired. No one is better at getting involved and throwing confiscated money around. Why is it passe' to assert that government has no business in this, along with 95% of everything else? Why is this idea shrugged off? Has no one any backbone anymore? Are you all sheep?

mconlon 01-23-2003 05:29 AM

What are they going to find out?

That most crashes were caused by drivers "not seeing" riders. Solution: make riders wear more visible clothing. Why do you think that always-on headlights were mandated in the first place?

That most fatalities and critical injuries are caused by head injuries, many of which could have been prevented by wearing a helmet. Solution: mandatory helmet laws. Why do you think that such laws are already in place in many states?

That most crashes are inexperienced riders on large displacement motorcycles. Solution: tiered licensing like in England, Japan, and Europe. I am very suprised this hasn't happened already.

I shake my head in wonder at the AMA supporting this and yet lobbying hot'n'heavy against helmet laws. Seems contradictory to say the least.

The last thing we will see is the implementation of stiffer penalties for right of way violations and moving vehicle violations that result in injury or death--until that happens, expect "I didn't see him/her" to remain a viable defense for drivers who kill, and for crash rates to remain unsurprisingly the same regardless of safety legislation for motorcyclists.

Grr.

captainwhoopass 01-23-2003 05:31 AM

I think they also tried front wheel drive.