Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-23-2003, 02:48 PM   #41
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Not to be dis-respectful - but you're nuts!

The Hierarchy of Mass idea is probably not gonna fly, but there is some validity to the basic concept.

We do have stricter licensing laws for drivers of heavy trucks specifically because their potential for inflicting damage is greater. Stricter speed limits, different vehicle standards. Pedestrians, and sometimes bicyclists, are given legal right of way in some cases.

You are right that the "I didn't see him" arguement generally doesn't fly. When the "him" is a 5-year old kid, the public wants to impose the death penalty on the driver, but if it is a 35-year old motorcyclist, the mood is that the cyclist should have known the risks.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2003, 03:06 PM   #42
saddlebag
Registered Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Crash Study Update

Paleeze, our constitution is only slightly less ambiguous than the Bible. For instance:

Clause 1: The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

Exactly how the hell would one argue that anyfriggin thing "allocated" is not for the general welfare or common defense of our country?

Believe me, I am no fan of the size and power of our current government, but I do believe that they can (and in some cases do) provide for goods, services, and regulations that benefit our nation's interests.

The reason I assumed you are white is because your original post sounded like a number of them I've read from a relative's backwoods right wing race baiting, non white bread Christian hating publications. If you are not then I am sorry, but you know you are.

As for someone that claims to be "educated" you certainly appear to have no ***** clue. Much of the technology that you enjoy (and our country has prospered from) in everyday life was developed via one government program or another. Do you really think the very Internet we debate this on would even exist were it not for a government project (certainly preceded by a study)?

saddlebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 03:09 PM   #43
saddlebag
Registered Member

If the people causing it happen to live or partake in their filth. Clue one: they don't.
Old 01-23-2003, 03:18 PM   #44
saddlebag
Registered Member

Default Re: The consequences of pollution are inherent.

Sure, if you have the means to fight it. Our government established to promote general welfare does have the means to detect and stifle such travesties be they accidental or criminal.

Look, I'm as disheartened as you about our current nanny state, but as much as you like to quote the Constitution it appears you've never taken a look. We got precisely the gov't its writers asked for.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:28 PM   #45
arizonagerg
Founding Member

Default Re: Not to be dis-respectful - but you're nuts!

Agreed on all. Unfortunately motorcyclists do suffer from a bias in collisons. Apparently everyone has been so brain-washed by the, "I didnt see him" mentality, that no-one expects anyone to actually see a motorcycle.
arizonagerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 04:43 PM   #46
arizonagerg
Founding Member

Default Re: The consequences of pollution are inherent.

Actually, in civil litigation the burden is not "beyond a reasonable doubt", but is the "preponderance of evidence", or 50.1% to get a judgement.

Still, I agree with you, that is the government's job. Please, please, please.... lets not throw more things at the courts. There is far too much being decided there already. Broken as the system may be, we elect congress to make decisions on our behalf. That is not the judicial branch's responsibility.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:50 PM   #47
arizonagerg
Founding Member

Reality is that these excise taxes dont totally pay for the roads.

And where is there a private turnpike? Not in any of the 7 states I have lived in. Seriously, is there a privately funded road out there?

Call me a sheep if you want, but I have been in third world contries where there is limited to no infrastructure. They have given me appreciation for the US of A, and that at least some of my tax dollars are going to good use. Its pretty easy to ***** about our freedoms and systems when we have it so good. When your struggling for food, shelter, and minimal survival, dont think it so important.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:16 PM   #48
Betamax
Founding Member

Tiered licencing is an excellent idea, but too many Americans will jump up and down and assert that they have the constitutional right to kill themselves on large-bore motorcycles, so it'll never fly here.

The visible clothing idea is good, but it would no doubt suffer a similar fate.

I almost pulled in front of a motorcyclist the other day when I was in my cage. I pulled out a couple of feet, then saw him and stopped. He rode by, shaking his head at "another stupid cager", even though he was dressed in all black on an all black, older motorcycle with the headlight off.

I wanted to chase him down and explain his stupidity, but there'd be no point.
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 07:44 AM   #49
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Saddlebags, if you are truly no fan of our ever increasing government, and wish to clarify your perceived ambiguities of our constitution, allow me to suggest the Federalist Papers for your perusal. You will find that our founding fathers (James Madison in particular) wanted to remove all doubt that the newly formed federal government would be a severely LIMITED one. As for your faith in the benifits of goernment programs, you would do yourself a favor by regularly reading LewRockwell.com and Reason online. When your done with that please feel free to e-mail me through MO if you wish further discussion on these matters. VWW

BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote