Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Helmet Debate in Arkansas (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/1539-helmet-debate-arkansas.html)

intruderman 01-20-2003 03:44 AM

Re: Helmet Debate in Arkansas

I will always wear a helmet, but I don't think we need Big Brother (or Big Sister down in Arkansas) making it the law. I don't buy that theory of helmetless bikers placing a burden on "Society". In my opinion we've got a lot of unnecessary laws because some legislators think they can create a utopia on Earth that way.

Buzglyd 01-20-2003 04:10 AM

Thank you for starting the flame war

Be prepared for a bunch of limp-wristed, panty-waisted nanny-types to start swearing at you and talking about "good public policy."

electraglider_1997 01-20-2003 04:35 AM

***** on Helmet laws. If you want to wear a beanie then fine, do so. The government should stay out of this and most other things. We elect officials because we have a paradigm of doing so. It would be nice to have no government officials. Then nonsense laws affecting every facet of life wouldn't be made. Everytime someone is injured, an outcry comes from politicians hoping to get the limelight. How about a moratorium on new laws and an actual reversal of all unconstitutional drivel. Life would then be so sweet.

longride 01-20-2003 04:46 AM

I suppose if I take your logic to it's conclusion, I don't understand why people are stupid enough to ride motorcycles at all.

seruzawa 01-20-2003 05:48 AM

Oh sure! Then what would happen? You know as well as I do that people are stupid (except, of course, for us intellectuals) and will use freedom to do wrong things like buy a powerboat or some other useless device that doesn't contribute to the public good. People must be protected from themselves and who better than me to set up a set of rules?

If we go your way the next thing we know people might have the right to speak or assemble or be secure in their homes or have the right to defend themselves or even be able to join whatever church they want.

If that happens we'll be in a right mess!

Anton_1 01-20-2003 05:50 AM

Try it sometime. Pick a nice sunny day when you are just running down to the corner store, put on some safety glasses, hop on your bike and go. Its amazing, the sun on your face, wind in your hair, the reasons we ride to begin with. Before I get shot down in flames, Yes, I wear a helmet 99.9 percent of the time but every now and then am willing to forego a lid to enjoy the ride. I don't recomend go over about 40 without a helmet, bugs and rocks hurt, and would never go on a freeway without one, I have had rocks off trucks take sizable chips out of my helmet. That said, its a free country, people can do whatever they d@mn well please as long as there only hurting themselves so what busness is it of mine, yours, or the government's if someone chooses to wear or not wear a helmet. Sorry for the rant.

obandoj 01-20-2003 06:37 AM

Nobody should be forced to wear a helmet. It is a free country and I don't buy that social burden theory.

Having said that, riding without one is plain stupid, there are too many ways to injury out there, waiting for a head to hit.

Pythagoras 01-20-2003 06:53 AM

The thought of preventing injuries is an admirable one but why is that motorcyclists are singled out? Some would argue that it is because morotcyclists often suffer severe head injuries and cost tax payers money. That then gives the government the right to intervene and force safety measures upon us. The trouble is, independent studies consistentlyshow that motorcyclists are just as well insured, if not more so than car drivers so when we are injured, we pay for it ourselves through higher premiums. There are some who will be injured and uninsured and yes, the public will end up paying for that and the amounts can be considerable. But the actual number of uninsured riders suffering these accidents compared to drivers is very small. Motorcyclists are just not the burden they are portrayed to be. Yes helmets prevent injuries on motorcyclists but the same could be said for drivers as well. That is why NASCAR drivers all wear them. If every driver and pasanger in America wore helmets you would see a far greater protection of life and a far greater reduction in the monetary burden that tax payers must bare. So, I say, if government wants to mandate helmets for motorcyclists, that is fine, but unless they do so for drivers as well, then their arguements for public safety and reduction of medical costs are hypocritical and discriminatory.

Dynaguy 01-20-2003 07:10 AM

I agree with the tone of this thread. The "burden on society" argument can be used to support almost any invasive legislation and should be resisted. I disagree with helmet laws for the same reason I disagree with seatbelt laws and other legistlation deemed to protect me from myself. I have ridden in South Carolina without a helmet and will never do that again. The difficulty is that as we allow more government intrusion into our lives, it becomes easier to tolerate increasing doses.

kawazuki 01-20-2003 07:18 AM

This was pretty much exactly the point I was going to bring up. I bet non-helmeted cagers suffer more head injuries than helmeted cagers do, in accidents. Any Arkansas'n MOridians want to step up to the plate on this? My suggestion would be to get ahold of the freshman legislator that was against this bill, and suggest to him that he try and get language added to the bill requiring helmets for anything which allows travel faster than a walk.

Hey, it'd have a great side effect. If Mrs. Soccer Mommy was wearing a helmet while driving her Ford Behemoth, she couldn't talk on the cell phone, so maybe she'd pay some attention to the 6 ton beast she was piloting.

-Kawazuki