Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-21-2003, 08:29 PM   #81
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Helmet Debate in Arkansas

Or was that 800lb cruisers with single disc/drum brakes, 15 degree lean angles, barco-lounger seating position's and a DUI condusive "lifestyle"?
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-21-2003, 10:50 PM   #82
arizonagerg
Founding Member

Nope. Didnt say that. A seatbelted body in a car is restrained with the head free to flop around. Also, with a seatbelt, the head is not likely to strike anything in most collisions. I wear my helmet 90% of the time while on my bike. Lets face it, a bike offers zero protection in a collision, so I will take whatever I can get. A car offers quite a bit of protection on its own, and when equipped with seatbelts and airbags used properly, is quite safe.
arizonagerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 10:59 PM   #83
arizonagerg
Founding Member

Not being familiar with racing safety systems and philosophy, I cant answer that one. However, I will guess: Dont racers wear some kind of roll around their neck to limit mobility? (A friend participated in a county demolition derby where helmet AND neck collar/roll were required.) Do all the other extesive safety systems helm mitigate? Dont they teather the helmet to the car? What about the Hans device, and Dale Earnhardt's crash? Once again I am not very knowledgeable, but wasnt a neck injury/head snap part of the equation? Isnt the Hans device and other similar set ups to help stabilize driver's head/neck/spine? Or am I full of caca on this?
Old 01-21-2003, 11:03 PM   #84
arizonagerg
Founding Member

See my response to your post above. And... what gooseman said.

No need to take it personal and get sarcastic.

Peace.

Old 01-21-2003, 11:27 PM   #85
arizonagerg
Founding Member

Default Re: Good post but technically

Good point, but..... during a collision, isnt it masssive accelerations/decelerations that will cause the injuries? (Hard on the bones, guts, and brain) Your body hitting something and going from 60 mph to zero in fractions of seconds? Of course this all relates to the dissipation of kinetic energy also.

When the public safety nazis say "speed kills", they have a point. Driving faster isnt inherently dangerous itself, BUT, when a collision DOES occur, for whatever reason, an object travelling at a higher speed has alot more energy to dissipate. A vehicle going 40 mph has 4 time the energy of one travelling 20 mph. Dissipation of that kinetic energy, especially rapid dissipation, equals injuries.
Old 01-21-2003, 11:33 PM   #86
arizonagerg
Founding Member

Go get em Viper! Hey, I always enjoy your posts on the fjrowners website too.

Greg (still looking for that sweet deal on a used fjr to replace the Connie)
Old 01-21-2003, 11:42 PM   #87
arizonagerg
Founding Member

I seem to remember reading a summary of motorcyle fatalities (injury collisions not included) a few years ago that showed the overwhelming cause to be alcohol impairment. #2 on the list was in-experienced riders. (Most young riders on hot bikes I bet). Take away those two, and the motorcyle crash statistics went way down. In other words, if you ride sober, and are experienced, and/or show good judgement and ride within your abilities, the "motorcyles are dangerous" mantra is not quite so strong.
Old 01-22-2003, 12:12 AM   #88
arizonagerg
Founding Member

Hate to say it but I was right. Ok, so I didnt hate saying it.

See the link: http://www.hansdevice.com/information-sheet.htm
Old 01-22-2003, 03:33 AM   #89
dwr461
Founding Member

You're of course right KPaul. I was sleepy having worked trhe night shift. Thanks for correcting me.

Take care,

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 03:47 AM   #90
dwr461
Founding Member

In any motor vehicle accident, we'll use cages as the example, you sustain at least three impacts. First the car strikes whatever object that causes a change in it's momentum. We'll call it a bridge abuttment for today. This would of course initiate a rather sudden change in momentum. Then you're body (unseatbelted for our discussion) strikes the steering wheel assuming you are propelled straight forward. This is the second impact. People also go up, over(the steering wheel), and through the windshield and under the seat. Be we'll ignore that for the time being. Then all you're internal organs strike the inside of their various body cavities. This is the third impact. So you're correct Arizonagerg. Where it becomes interesting is that you're liver is held in place by ligaments. These tend not to have very high elastic properties. That's why athletes tear them frequently. You can dissect your liver went it is suddenly pulled away from the ligament in a accident. Picture one of those cheese slicers that uses a wire to cut the cheese. As much as two thirds of your blood volume can potentially be in your liver at any given moment. You can of course see why this is frequently fatal. I hope no one was eating while they read this.

Take care,

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote