Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-21-2003, 08:59 AM   #71
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Default Re: Thank you for starting the flame war

I wear a full face helmet, almost always (always when traveling over 25mph). I oppose helmet laws. Perhaps those for mandatory helmet laws should get an "improved" motorcycle, one with steel all around and maybe 4 wheels for enhanced stability. Wait a minute if everyone got one of those we could still get killed/injured particularly with different sized vehicles. The safest for all would be for everyone to drive the exact same make and model vehicle. Of course vehicles themselves are inherently dangerous do we really need them? We're all gonna die anyway how 'bout letting each of us live (pursue happiness) as we want between here and there?
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-21-2003, 10:49 AM   #72
Ken_Packard
Founding Member

Default Re: Helmet Debate in Arkansas

Making the decision whether or not to wear a helmet is like this...

Walk up to your buddy, with a Louisville Slugger in your right hand.

Now say to him, "Buddy, I'm going to hit you in the head with this bat. You can't talk me out of it. It is your turn. It won't be a little bunt either...I'm gonna swing for the fences, Sosa stlye. It may be over the head, in the temple, or maybe right in the face or on the jaw. Now, you have a choice. Do you want me to just swing right now, or would you like to put on this nice, shiny Arai helmet? I'm going to hit you either way...all you have to tell me is if you want to take it as naked as when you came out of your Momma or if you want to wear this helmet."

Buddy says, "Nah, I don't need that helmet. I'll just take whatever comes. I can handle it. Besides, I think that I can duck before the bat actually hits me."

This little analogy puts everything in focus for me. Let Buddy make his choice. He, like every other helmetless rider, may eventually have to face the consequences of his choice (hopefully he never does). There are plenty of motorcyclists who are comfortable with this trade. I am too. The fact that I think Buddy's choice proves that he lacks even the basic intellect of Neanderthal doesn't matter.

Helmets laws are not the answer. Additional rider training DOES have value and should be further explored. However, isn't goverment regulated training and the proposed stepped licensing programs the same helmet law "wolf" in another sheep's wool?

Should not people be able to choose whether or not to participate in those as well? Or would they be mandatory, with helmet use still being a matter of choice? More shades of grey there...

Ken_Packard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 02:29 PM   #73
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

I find it interesting that this comes out of Arkansas, a state that ranks below the median in most quality of life indicators. One would think that politicians there might have better things on their minds.

If government is going to meddle in the private lives of it's citizens it might as well do so in the most beneficial manner. Politicians in Arkansas and everywhere else would do a lot better in terms of improving public health and well-being by adequately funding Medicare, Medicade and devising some better system of access to health care than most americans enjoy at the moment. I wonder if the pharmaceutical, insurance and health care lobbys are a bit tougher to take on than motorcyclists? Nah, that wouldn't have anything to do with it.

I, like many of the posters on this topic, share the practice of always wearing a helmet. But I also think it's my business and not anyone else's. Certainly not the governments. Especially a government that chisels kids on school lunch programs and will not stand up to lobbyists on most health care issues. If the powers that be really care about my personal well-being there are better ways to prove it to me and everyone else. Helmet laws reek of hypocrisy. Laws like this are an illusion crafted to convince the voting public that something is being done to improve their lives without actually doing anything substanitive, or taking on anyone likely to get you voted out of office. You want to enact helmet laws to improve my life, fine, but how about eliminating the loopholes in the patent laws that allow pharmaceutical companies to keep generics off the shelf long after the original patents have expired over naming issues? Then, at least, I would admire your consistency.

I might have come up with a second use for my helmet - to throw it at the bozo who is sponsoring this law.

sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 02:41 PM   #74
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: What logic?

Agree.

Me and KPaul. Sheesh........
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 02:44 PM   #75
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: A change of heart.

Wimp.
Old 01-21-2003, 02:47 PM   #76
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: Someone define 'Free Country' for me.

I think that the above is the least clear post in the thread. You can do better than that, longride.
Old 01-21-2003, 02:52 PM   #77
jmeyn
Founding Member

You have just shown that stupid riding kills. Riding without a helmet is another form of stupid riding. It kills.

What's the moral?
Old 01-21-2003, 03:00 PM   #78
jmeyn
Founding Member

Unfortunately, it's hard to pick the superbike buyer who will be the next thinee. I agree with you that education is very important, and experience even more so. But attitude is the key. Too bad that the easiest way to judge attitude is to read the obituaries.

Old 01-21-2003, 03:05 PM   #79
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

"Anyone who believes helmets are not effective is an idiot. "

Sorry, but I disagree with this. I believe that at least some of the people who believe this are not stupid, just misinformed/ignorant of the facts. I have heard some of the arguments by the anti-helmet crowd, and to people who only get their information from their peers, those arguments would be pretty convincing. I would like to think that at least some of these people could be convinced of the truth about helmets by a knowledgeable source. The closest comparison I can come up with is use of the front brake. For a long time, many riders were afraid to use it because they "knew" that if they did, they would be thrown over the handlebars. However, nowadays most riders know that this won't happen, exactly because that is what they are taught.

Anyway, (reaching REALLY deep into my own utopian fantasy) I think that if we can teach people the facts about helmets, they would use them on their own instead of the goverment mandating their use.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:54 PM   #80
r1derbike
Founding Member

He died because he was a stupid motorcyclist...any more stupid questions? ;-}

Outta here...Charles (viper)

'00 RWB R1 #34...'cuz there can only be THE ONE.

'85 ZX900 Ninja...the mutha' of all modern sportbikes.

'03 FJR 1300...'cuz ya' gotta keep HER happy.

Click on link below to see my R1, FJR, and Ninja.

http://www.photoaccess.com/share/gue...19C25C12&cb=PA
\'00 RWB R1 #34...\'cuz there can only be THE ONE.
\'85 ZX900 Ninja...the mutha\' of all modern sportbikes.
\'03 FJR 1300...\'cuz ya\' gotta keep HER happy.
Click on link below to see my R1, FJR, and Ninja.
http://www.photoaccess.com/share/guest.jsp?ID=A0B19
r1derbike is offline   Reply With Quote