Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-21-2003, 05:21 AM   #61
dwr461
Founding Member

Default Re: Helmet Debate in Arkansas

Ok now my eye hurts too. I have a friend who (I'm not making this up) got hit by a bird. This happened while at speed on the interstate. It was just a small bird, a sparrow maybe. I don't know birds. Anyway it hit him in the chest and knocked him flat back on the seat. Of course his hands came off the bars and he had the wind knocked out of him, but his feet stayed in the pegs. He didn't crash. But he did put over and have a smoke. He had a really impressive bruise right in the middle of his chest the next day. The moral to this story is that maybe a fairing with a windshield is a good idea.

Take care,

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-21-2003, 06:24 AM   #62
blackgpz
Founding Member

Amen, brother. Anyone who rides without a helmet is an idiot. I oppose helmet laws so that Darwin's theory can take it's natural course.
blackgpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 06:33 AM   #63
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default What fact?

"No, the fact that you ride a motorcycle is because the government LETS YOU".

The fact that we ride motorcycles is indeed a fact. The fact that the government lets us do so is also a fact. That a well ridden motorcycle is only marginally more dangerous than a well driven cage and infinitely safer than a poorly driven cage is a fact.

That you are stupid is ridiculous. That your behavior when you ride a motorcycle without a helmet is stupid and irresponsible is a fact..

That you don't care what I think is your loss; but if you don't, why did you post the article?
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 06:40 AM   #64
jmeyn
Founding Member

That's nit-picking. In any case we are talking about an Arkansas state law. Arkansas is not a republic. I don't know what it is.
Old 01-21-2003, 06:56 AM   #65
jmeyn
Founding Member

"Statistics" of this kind are for sale to the highest bidder. The social burden of helmetless riders includes the direct relative healthcare and emergency services cost plus the pain and suffering of friends, family, onlookers and newspaper readers.

I think you're wrong about majority opinion concerning motorcycles. I bet 10% love 'em, 10% hate 'em and the rest don't care one way or the other as long as they share the rode like good citizens.

Paranoia is a good defence mechanism when you ride, but you don't have to base the rest of you life on it.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:05 AM   #66
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Good post but technically

Good post. Technically it is energy rather then force that varies with the square of the velocity. Conservation of energy is the concept here. At the time of crash that kinectic energy has to go somewhere either heat, compression of your head etc. On the other hand, force is directly porptional to acceleration (F=ma). Acceleration is the rate of change of the velocity. An object at constant speed, velocity(ignoring the affects of air resistence) has zero acceleration thus would have zero force, on the other hand it would have energy i.e. equal to 1/2 mass x velocity x velocity = 1/2m*v*v i.e. porportional to the velocity squared.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 07:06 AM   #67
jmeyn
Founding Member

Right on!
Old 01-21-2003, 07:27 AM   #68
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: What logic?

I don't know if you read Rider mag, or not but there was an artical in there about accidents, and the jist of it was that If you have a m/c license, over a year or two of experiance on the bike your riding and are straight and sober while you ride, your chance of an accident or injury is statisticaly almost zero, it's newbi's riding over their heads, or DUI's that are "over-represented" in accident statistics, I agree with some kind of stepped license for the first couple of years, maybe mandatory helmets for three years, or an L plate. As for not allowing motorcycles at all, thats not the point I was trying to make, more people die in bed than on bikes, are you going to sleep on the couch? I was trying to say, if it comes to wear a helmet or don't ride, the bright side is it may save a few dipsh*ts from croaking themselves and making us look bad.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 08:18 AM   #69
gooseman_1
Founding Member

Helmets WOULD break more necks IF they didn't have a teather to the head-rest (as all racers do). So, that problem is easily solved. Nuff said.
gooseman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 08:27 AM   #70
TheFox
Founding Member

Default This is a really bad example.

C'mon Longride, this is an extreme example. I'm sure I could come up with a million and one stories about how someone lowsided and their head slid across the pavement 20 feet and lived because they didn't have their face ground off. Or they bounced their head on the ground and the helmet cracked, and they survived.

On top of that, was the 10 year old wearing a PROPER helmet? I doubt, seriously, he had on the correct size motorcycle helmet. Kid probably had on one of his dad's, or perhaps his BMX or skateboarding helmet.

I am against helmet laws too, because I think it should be individual choice. But holding up this guy as an example is just silly. He died while popping a whieelie, on a side street, with his 10 year old son on the bike? This guy was not acting in the best interests of his child and you know it. Hell, politicans who read this won't repeal helmet laws, they'll outlaw bikes outright!

Probably name the law after the kid that croaked too...."Bobby's Law" or somesuch...I hate that BS, when they name the law that bans something after the poorwiddlecutie that got killed because some moron had to be irresponsible and f it up for the rest of us.

--The Fox

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote