Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-21-2003, 04:51 AM   #51
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Someone define 'Free Country' for me.

I think the clearest issue in this debate, is helmet wearers feel they will not get head injuries nor die because of wearing a helmet.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-21-2003, 05:02 AM   #52
r1derbike
Founding Member

Default Re: Helmet Debate in Arkansas

I live in Arkansas. I wear a helmet. Not wearing a helmet is stupid...any questions?

Rights? Rights? I've got the right to vote for a helmet law so helmetless idiots don't keep raising medical and insurance costs in this state for motorcyclists.

Riders' rights to choose don't include the right for me to pay for their stupidity.

Outta here...Charles (viper)

'00 RWB R1 #34...'cuz there can only be THE ONE.

'85 ZX900 Ninja...the mutha' of all modern sportbikes.

'03 FJR 1300...'cuz ya' gotta keep HER happy.

Click on link below to see my R1, FJR, and Ninja.

http://www.photoaccess.com/share/gue...19C25C12&cb=PA

\'00 RWB R1 #34...\'cuz there can only be THE ONE.
\'85 ZX900 Ninja...the mutha\' of all modern sportbikes.
\'03 FJR 1300...\'cuz ya\' gotta keep HER happy.
Click on link below to see my R1, FJR, and Ninja.
http://www.photoaccess.com/share/guest.jsp?ID=A0B19
r1derbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 05:09 AM   #53
nee_dragger
Founding Member

I read the article in The Morning News concerning proposed legislation by Rep. Cecile Bledsoe and R- Rogers. Just because some study finds that most riders involved in accidents receive serious head trauma when riding without a helmet, they think legislation will correct it. Duh? We ALREADY KNOW that if out head comes in contact with something slightly harder and at a reasonably fast speed, and it's not protected, that WE WILL be injured, maimed, or killed. WE KNOW THIS, it's common knowledge since we became old enough to walk. But if we chose to be stupid and not protect ourselves voluntarily, we'll find out the hard way. I call the process 'a thinning of the herd'. Those of us smart enough to see the consequences of our risk (riding), will take the proper precautions. Those who are not will eventually pay the price. It's that simple. It's a shame government feels like it needs to protect us from ourselves. I guess Bledsoe and Rogers are not of the motorcycle riding type, otherwise they would understand how we feel. Someone needs to send these posts to Bledsoe, Rogers, and whomever else is involved in this legislation and see how unpopular helmet laws are with the riding public. I for one will wear a helmet 100% of the time when riding my motorcycle. I don't want to be taken away from the herd.
nee_dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 05:09 AM   #54
nee_dragger
Founding Member

I read the article in The Morning News concerning proposed legislation by Rep. Cecile Bledsoe and R- Rogers. Just because some study finds that most riders involved in accidents receive serious head trauma when riding without a helmet, they think legislation will correct it. Duh? We ALREADY KNOW that if out head comes in contact with something slightly harder and at a reasonably fast speed, and it's not protected, that WE WILL be injured, maimed, or killed. WE KNOW THIS, it's common knowledge since we became old enough to walk. But if we chose to be stupid and not protect ourselves voluntarily, we'll find out the hard way. I call the process 'a thinning of the herd'. Those of us smart enough to see the consequences of our risk (riding), will take the proper precautions. Those who are not will eventually pay the price. It's that simple. It's a shame government feels like it needs to protect us from ourselves. I guess Bledsoe and Rogers are not of the motorcycle riding type, otherwise they would understand how we feel. Someone needs to send these posts to Bledsoe, Rogers, and whomever else is involved in this legislation and see how unpopular helmet laws are with the riding public. I for one will wear a helmet 100% of the time when riding my motorcycle. I don't want to be taken away from the herd.
Old 01-21-2003, 05:09 AM   #55
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Just one question. Why did this guy die?

Father, son die in motorcycle wreck

Associated Press

AUGUSTA, Ga. - A father and his 10-year-old son died in a motorcycle crash Saturday night in their subdivision.

Lawrence ****s III, 47, took his son Jonathan on a ride on his new Suzuki motorcycle about 5:15 p.m. He popped a wheelie and lost control, said Deputy Turner Grover Tuten.

The motorcycle slammed into a brick mailbox, throwing them into the street, he said.

"He was showing off to his son," Tuten said. "I imagine it was a pretty good rate of speed."

Lawrence ****s suffered massive chest injuries and a broken neck. Jonathan fractured his skull.

Both were wearing helmets.

Information from: The Augusta Chronicle

http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/news/...cs/4984694.htm
Old 01-21-2003, 05:09 AM   #56
dwr461
Founding Member

Thank you Longride. I'm like most people who are in the public safety field in that I'm practically a Libertarian. If what I choose to do doesn't affect you, leave me alone.

But back to the subject at hand, I've seen people killed both with and without helmets on their heads. Your best choice is always avoiding an impact where possible. Just like you said.

I think some people don't wear their helmets because of fashion. Lets face it there are certain brands who among some of their riders the bike is a fashion statement rather than transportation. Real, full face, working helmets do not "go" with that fashion. The most unfortunate part is that large amounts of EtOH (alcohol) does "go" with that perceived fashion. This does not lend itself well to accident avoidance. I do freely admit that the majority of riders of this brand most likely don't engage in that particular stupidity. But I have come to believe that at least around here a much larger percentage than other riders do exactly that.

As such, I feel that the two most deadly things associated with motorcycles are 1) a lack of training 2) alcohol. The reason being is that they both impair your ability to avoid an accident. But because accidents do happen (that's why they're called accidents) I choose to always wear my helmet, jacket, boots, gloves and either draggin jeans or textile pants. Fortunately riding a BMW has the statement of rich dork riding Bavarian Money Waster, so the safety gear isn't frowned apon by my fellow riders. Believe me in the deep south where I live it's some hot stuff.

Anyway, it's time to get down from my soapbox. Sorry about preaching to the choir but I get rather emotional about this subject.

Take care,

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 05:10 AM   #57
nee_dragger
Founding Member

Old 01-21-2003, 05:10 AM   #58
nee_dragger
Founding Member

Old 01-21-2003, 05:10 AM   #59
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I thought thinning the herd is why the made sportbikes.
Old 01-21-2003, 05:14 AM   #60
dwr461
Founding Member

Longride, I just reread your post. Ooops, I re-stated everything you just said. Sorry the night shift makes me stupid. Must go get some day sleep.

Take care,

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote