Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-20-2003, 11:13 PM   #41
obandoj
Founding Member

Default Re: Helmet Debate in Arkansas

You think helmets break necks, don't you arizonagerg, then why do car racers wear them? To put sponsor logos on them? I think not!
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-21-2003, 12:05 AM   #42
dwr461
Founding Member

After having worked hundreds of MVA,s (motor vehicle accidents), I promise you this fact. Helmets will help save your life in the event of an accident. The majority of deaths and disabilities from motorcycle accidents result from traumatic brain injuries not chest or neck trauma. If you think about the basic physics of a moving body this will make sense. The weight of an object has much less effect than the velocity. Velocity is squared in the force formula. The extra weight of the helmet will not increase the force of your impact greatly. But finding a way to disperse the force of impact from velocity over a greater area will reduce the likelyhood of internal trauma.

But the best way to save your life is as Longride says better driver education. If you can avoid the accident all together than that's the best option. The truth is (I'm stating the obvious here I know) if you wreck on a bike you're far more likely to be injured or dead than in a vehicle. That's why you should wear your seatbelt, it keeps you in the car.

As to if the government should mandate helmet usage: no. This allows natural selection to function as it should.

On another point, to our helmetless ones: what do you do when a bug or rock hits your forehead while at speed? Really this is a serious question. I'm missing paint on my helmets from these small, low weight, high velocity, impacts.

Take care,

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 02:46 AM   #43
chariton
Registered Member

You are totally right on the last one. Last summer I was going up the mountain. I was wearing my helmet but with the visor opened all the way because of the heat. I was doing 20-30 miles per hour when a bug shot into my eye. My eye was red and sore for a day. I daren't think what could happen at higher speeds or with a heavier bug,rock...
chariton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 02:56 AM   #44
triumph900
Founding Member

How does everyone feel about seatbelt laws??
triumph900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 02:59 AM   #45
seruzawa
The Toad

Ever noticed the tobacco debate? The social burden theory was the linchpin of the legal actions. Huge settlements were gotten based on the claim that "society" needed to recover the costs of smoker related illnesses. I don't want to get into the level of deception that has been used by the anti-tobacco nuts, but suffice it to say that virtually none of the monies recovered are going to cover the costs of treating smoker's illnesses.

In some places even more lawsuits are being filed by medical interests to get even some of the money. It seems all of the money is just going into the usual machine and being used to give the various special intersest even more billions to waste.

So even if you buy the social burden theory realize that it is in actuality used as a scam to loot even more cash from the productive sector of society for the benefit of the looter sector.

And we do not live in a democracy, thank heaven. We live in a republic.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:01 AM   #46
triumph900
Founding Member

Motorcycles are NOT singled out. There are seatbelt laws in many states. And I wasn't asked if I wanted the extra cost of the airbags installed in ALL of my vehicles. They weren't options. The Man is everywhere!
triumph900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 03:09 AM   #47
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Dave, you make many good points. I was also in the business of picking up the wreckage (now retired), and have also seen similar things. Some think if they wear a helmet they are immune to dying, which we know certainly isn't true. We do know that in a motorcycle crash, wearing a helmet is better than none. We also know being in an auto is safer that being on a motorcycle. I would hate to see our society outlaw everything that could be a hazard to our well being. Otherwise there may be mandatory helmet laws for old people and taking showers. I believe natural selection takes place each day a sportbike is sold to someone that thinks the helmet will save him from his stupidity. What I do when a bug or rock hite me in the head is yell real loud! Actually the only time I don't wear a helmet is on my dresser, and the big fairing and windshield block that stuff. On my Ninja, a full face Shoei is the dress of the day.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:09 AM   #48
seruzawa
The Toad

Perhaps then you should frequent some other site where the average poster meets your higher level of mental acuity. You really don't want to slum with us trailer trash dummies, do you?

Old 01-21-2003, 03:17 AM   #49
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: What logic?

I agree with most of your points. I do feel that young and inexperienced riders sohould not be capable of buying a motorcycle that can do 10 second quarter miles and go 180 mph. We need manadatory riding education and a stepped licensing system. Motorcycling is not a game. You WILL die, helmet or no helmet, if you have neither the skill to operate the machine, or respect it's power. As for your argument that "if it saves one life it's worth it", then certainly not allowing mororcycles on the road at all will save many more than one. If you really believe in that, you would wear a helmet in the shower, because the number of deaths and head injuries there is staggering.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:20 AM   #50
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

If wearing a helmet increases injuries in cars, then why do all the auto racers have to wear them?