Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-20-2003, 05:23 PM   #31
hawkrider
Founding Member

Default Re: Helmet Debate in Arkansas

Sir, you are absofuginlutely correct!
hawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2003, 05:38 PM   #32
desertbilly
Founding Member

Default Someone define 'Free Country' for me.

No speed limits? No taxes? No zoning laws?

The challenge of democracy is balancing the rights of the many with the rights of the few. Of course we have governmental controls. How many MO'ers want limits on soccer-mom SUV's and cel phone usage in cars? Does anyone think kids bedrooms in poor apartment complexes shouldn't be required to have smoke detectors? Or that school nurses shouldn't have to reports suspected cases of child molesting? These are also substantial constraints on individual liberties.

We all like laws that benefit us or comport with our idea of what's right and dislike the ones that restrict us. That's human nature.

It's normal. It's okay.

Even if helmetless riders have plenty of insurance, their half million dollar in expenses raise premiums for everyone else. Those without insurance cost taxpayers instead of other insurance consumers. Head injuries are the worst for human and financial loss. And most are so easy to prevent, with a simple, DOT approved full faced lid.

I'm not for mandatory laws, because I come down 51% on the side of the moron's right to kill themself, but I don't think there is anything about this issue that is simple or clear.
desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 06:03 PM   #33
arizonagerg
Founding Member

I bet your wrong. No official stats here, but I bet cagers suffer from spinal/neck injuries the most in collisions. Adding a few pounds to the noggin will only increase the number and severity of these injuries.
arizonagerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 06:05 PM   #34
arizonagerg
Founding Member

Lets be logical. Helmets would most likely increase injuries in cager collisions. (See my reply above)
Old 01-20-2003, 06:08 PM   #35
arizonagerg
Founding Member

"Freedom, is probably the most misunderstood American concept there is. With any "freedom" comes "accountability and responsibility." Period."

Well said. I see alot of griping on this thread, but few intelligent arguments.
Old 01-20-2003, 06:11 PM   #36
arizonagerg
Founding Member

Very well said!
Old 01-20-2003, 06:52 PM   #37
JohnGeisz
Founding Member

Hey, now Dominator, you said you weren't going to check back... we knew you would. LOL

I agree with everything you said, but I wish people would come to your conclusion without having to make a law out of it.
JohnGeisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 06:59 PM   #38
JohnGeisz
Founding Member

Default Speaking of Helmet Use...

Here's something I've always wanted to do...

While I'm driving my cage around the city in my baddest Brit-cut suit, throw on my Moto-6 and Scott 'moster-eyes' hologram goggles and see how nervous the drivers around me become.

Betcha I don't get cut off! BWAAA-HAAA-HAAAA!

Ahem, sorry, one of those sudden spells of id. Better now.
JohnGeisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 08:47 PM   #39
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: What logic?

Whether the state can or cannot not restrict personal freedom is a moot point, as you say Longride, we ride because they let us. And being an adult you make a personal decision to accept the risk of riding, but the fact is IF in a worst case scenario, you kiss the highway your better off with a helmet. No intelligent person can realisticly argue against that. you know it as well as I do, You may choose to accept THAT risk also, and I don't care which way you go with it myself, but Alot of "impressionable types" don't have your background and experiance, by them mashing their melons through whatever reason we all get saddled with a motorcycles are dangerous trip. Total B*****t,? yes it is but its also the realty that we operate under, I'm aware of the give up freedom for security, get neither argument, but the helmet fight is one we can't win. If it saves one D***f***k from offing his/her self then in the greater scheme of things its worth it. The state is in our s**t either way
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 12:07 AM   #40
obandoj
Founding Member

You probably think that helmets break necks, right?
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote