Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-20-2003, 02:02 PM   #21
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: What logic?

Well said. Given that we take risks by riding a motorcycle we can reduce the chance of injury by wearing a helmet.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2003, 02:04 PM   #22
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

No, the fact that you ride a motorcycle is because the government LETS YOU. They can be restricted or outlawed at will just as they are on many public lands and roads. Given that they are certainly more dangerous to life and limb with or without a helmet, the next logical step is banning them all. Given that I ride a motorcycle without a helmet and accept the inherent risks, it's stupid of you to call me stupid. Since you are the judge and jury of what is stupid and what isn't, I guess I overstepped my bounds by challenging your utmost authority. But, given that I'm older than 21, I really don't care what you think. Maybe try to follow the logic that if motorcycles are too dangerous without helmets, that maybe, JUST MAYBE, one legislator will think they are too still too dangerous with them.
Old 01-20-2003, 02:05 PM   #23
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Actually we can redice them with education. Crashing better may or may not save your life. Not crashing will.
Old 01-20-2003, 02:07 PM   #24
KPaulCook
Banned

Agree.
Old 01-20-2003, 02:09 PM   #25
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: A change of heart.

"Also most folks think we are nuts anyway to ride motorcycles."

KPaul, I think you hit it on the head here. Helmets aren't the answer anyone is looking for. There are thousands of ways to save more money and prevent more injuries in every kind of activity we do. Unfortunately, we as motorcyclists are the most unorginized, non-voting block the legislators can find.
Old 01-20-2003, 02:16 PM   #26
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Helmet Debate in Arkansas

First, the "burden" must be proven, before anyone would actually bear it. Since the AMA and ABATE have certainly disproved that theory many times over, and also proved that education is much more effective in reducing injuries and death rather than sticking a helmet on an untrained operator. As I say, "crashing better isn't safety". I think what he has probably hasn't learned to live with, are people that try to force their agenda on everyone else that they don't agree with or participate in "unapproved" activities. Since I'm sure the majority of people don't like motorcycles anyway, I guess you could live with a total ban, since they will out-vote you.
Old 01-20-2003, 02:22 PM   #27
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Well, we have a choice in Illinois, but some other states they don't. Choice is good and I agree with you.
Old 01-20-2003, 03:00 PM   #28
F451
Founding Member

As with everything in life there is good and bad, rhyme and reason, and the all the gray degrees between. Freedom, is probably the most misunderstood American concept there is. With any "freedom" comes "accountability and responsibility." Period. There are people who should not be riding motorcycles, but they do (and for that matter driving cars, but they do). As long as someone is willing to pay the consequences of their actions, then I'm all right by them. It's the boneheads with their bizarre sense of "entitlement" that scares me the most. When these folks ride I can only hope that when they hit the embankment it's enough to finish the job and not hurts others.

I would wear a helmet even without the law. The ROI on a helmet is short and the benefits many. It's not me that I'm so worried about, it's those who should not by driving any form of vehicle on the roadways (including a Segway) that scare the hell out of me...that's why I wear a helmet.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 03:09 PM   #29
KPaulCook
Banned

Default 1999 Interview With Harry Hurt about Motorcycle Safety

Harry Hurt Interview click this
Old 01-20-2003, 03:59 PM   #30
dominatr37
Founding Member

I'm making one comment on this and not coming back to see the flames that follow.

Riding without a helmet is moronic. It's that simple. riding with one of those non-DOT beanies is just as pathetically stupid. I have a friend who would not listen to reason concerning the beanie crap. He went down in September , doing 20MPH. He hit his head on a curb, began bleeding from the ears immediately, and then went blind. He lapsed into a coma, and spent 10 weeks that way. As of now, he is still in a wheelchair,and unable to do the simple things in life we all take for granted. Supposedly he has a good shot at making a complete recovery. But it will take years. If he had a real helmet, a full face DOT SNELL helmet on, he would have walked away. riding without a helmet or with a beanie in is for idiots. It has nothing to do with "Freedom" and everything to do with selfishness.

Where is the social burden? On the ambulance worker who has to see people with their heads split open. On the families (Like my friends wife and little boy) who now have to deal with a father/husband who can't even feed himself for who knows how long.

I am all for every personal freedom I can get. I'm as conservative as they come. But some things are common sense. I firmly believe the helmet law should be tied into the national seatbelt/drinking age/road funds laws. No state helmet law? no road funds, per state.
dominatr37 is offline   Reply With Quote