Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-20-2003, 07:26 AM   #11
hawkrider
Founding Member

Default Re: Helmet Debate in Arkansas

Here in California I would argue that there is no helmet law. Many of the HD riders wear those little things that look like half a peanut shell. They qualify as real helmets, so much for the successful application of the law.These thing offer little to no protection.

I wear helmets, sportbike or cruiser because I want too. I want to be protected as much as possible. Anyone who believes helmets are not effective is an idiot. However, I do not believe we should force anyone to do anthing. Being stupid should not be illegal.

Most states force you to wear a seat belt in your car. I don' t see the difference between this and the helmet law. Being an ever evolving society we are willing to accept new ways of doing things that will enhance our lives or help protect us. I never wore seat belts years ago, who did? But the fact is in combination with air bag technology these things work to save lives, these fact are undeniable.

Bull riders are wearing chest protectors, some are wearing helmets. More and more snow skiers are wearing helmets.

The point is that most people in our society embrace things that will improve or protect their well being. As for the rest, "Stupid is as stupid does".
hawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2003, 07:52 AM   #12
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Being an ever evolving society we are willing to accept new ways of doing things that will enhance our lives or help protect us."

George Orwell couldn't have said it better. It just took longer than 1984.
Old 01-20-2003, 08:33 AM   #13
Jakh77
Founding Member

I'm not buying any of this "burdon to society" bull***** until I see some universal healthcare in this country. Since when did Arkansas (and the rest of the US) turn into Norway?? BTW I always wear a helmet, and since when does it take a genious to figure out that helmetless riders get hurt worse? geez
Jakh77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 09:46 AM   #14
hawkrider
Founding Member

Longride, keyword here: "accept", ie we have a choice. BIG difference! Give us the the goods but always let us decide.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:54 AM   #15
hawkrider
Founding Member

Universal health care will never happen. I don't think I indicated that the burden argument was legit, it is not. I think we agree !

I agree with you, the "duh" factor clearly applies to wearing a helmet, but do not assume everybody gets it.

I love the argument that you should not wear a seat belt because if you were in a crash and the car cought fire your belt may malfunction trapping you in a burning car.

Everyone in sanctioned auto racing must be really dumb for wearing seat belts.
Old 01-20-2003, 10:02 AM   #16
morthrane
Founding Member

Helmet laws are retarded-- if they don't want to act like a hypocrite, then perhaps they should make helmets mandatory for ALL vehicles. RV's (especially!), trucks, econoboxes, sports cars...

Law or no, you won't find me more than a block away from home without a full face helmet on. I don't need a politician who doesn't ride to tell me how I need to be doing it.
morthrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 11:18 AM   #17
obandoj
Founding Member

Amen brother.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 11:53 AM   #18
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default What logic?

That we ride motorcycles (at all) is a given. Given that we ride motorcycles and accept the inherent risks, we are stupid and irresponsible when we ride them without a helmet. Making such behavior illegal is arguable. That the behavior is stupid and irresponsible is not.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 11:56 AM   #19
jmeyn
Founding Member

Sorry you don't buy the social burden theory, but you live in a democracy and you may or may not be outvoted by those who wish to avoid bearing your burden. Haven't you learned to live with that yet?
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 01:58 PM   #20
KPaulCook
Banned

Default A change of heart.

After reading all the posts, I have a change my mind on helmet laws. I used to support helmet laws in fact I wanted a full face helmet law. However, if the AMA would just neither support or oppose helmet laws it would be fine for me now. It is apparent that motorcyle riders love freedom i.e. probably one of the reasons we ride right. Also most folks think we are nuts anyway to ride motorcycles. So really if it doesn't affect my insurance rates, I am willing to live and let live. [*]I personally think folks are unwise to not wear a full face helmet. See David Hough's book Proficient Motorcycling for mention of a German study that studied full face vs other styles(click this)
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote