Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-19-2003, 05:49 AM   #1
Agent0090
Founding Member

Default Re: New Motorcycle Recovery System

Woo hoo! First post!

This reminds me of a doojiggie that I saw the other day (don't ask me where) for cars that records speed, throttle, and brake inputs for later downloads to a personal computer. I thought that all it needed was a GPS system to record where the car had been (and maybe a Wi-Fi link). I think that within the next year or two you'll be able to get the automotive equivalent of a Flight Data Recorder at least for your car, and maybe for your bike. That might make accident and theft investigations better, and maybe save us on insurance a bit. Bring on the technology.

Oh yeah, it might also allow THE HIGHWAY MAN to track the Asian Attrocity Cycles and upload the data directly to NORAD for targeting by the DEATH LASER SATTELITE. Every new technology has its dark side, I suppose.

Agent0090 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-19-2003, 06:38 AM   #2
everiman
Registered Member

Never mind the highway man, my kids will be getting their drivers licenses soon. Can ya imagine? "Sure you can use the 999 (OK the chevette), so long as you go straight the to Library and back". Bein a kid just ain't gonna be what it used to be.
everiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 08:15 AM   #3
GreyOne
Registered Member

If the officers of the law had access to what we had been up to, in the hour or miles prior to an accident or speeding ticket, it could get interesting. I don't know many sport bike riders who don't boot it up to 100+ at least a couple of times every ride.
GreyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 08:43 AM   #4
ciao
Founding Member

This is scary stuff. One car rental chain in the U.S. installed GPS in its cars, and then fine print in its contracts saying the renter would be fined for each instance of speeding. After the car is returned the renter's credit card is billed accordingly. Some cars on the market have electronic systems that record the last minutes of engine and road speed and this information has been used in criminal and civil cases against drivers. And some manufacturers can download info like maximum rpms in order to deny warranty claims. It's bad enough that our computers at home and work record everything we do. We don't need our bikes doing the same thing.
ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 10:04 AM   #5
Chango
Founding Member

I guess I must be some kind of weirdo. I only boot it up to 100+ a couple of times per month, usually because some Ex(crement)cursion driver wants to be in my lane while I'm still there...

Remember kids, it's always easier to do things the hard way. Chango
Old 01-19-2003, 10:33 AM   #6
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Maybe, if you can turn it off!

Without the ability to cloak it I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 11:10 AM   #7
sarnali
Founding Member

"Yes Mr. Sarnali, even though Officer Friendly stopped you for 70 in a 60, your CycleRatz 1200[tm] gps system indicates that you usually travel in excess of 85mph and, on occasion your vehical engine speed exceeds the EPA rpm limit of 6000rpm, We'll just ammend your citation accordingly, shall we?"
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 12:57 PM   #8
ironmike
Founding Member

Default Re: Maybe, if you can turn it off!

Let 'em bring it on! We'll have the requested "cloaking device" fully beta tested... only problem, you'll still have to de-cloak and drop shields to fire weapons systems... oh yeah, and it's not too stable at warp drive speeds...
ironmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 01:11 PM   #9
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

You know, if the occifers o'the Law get this tech to use against the Citizenz, the ACLU would be suing faster than you can say "Jackbooted thugs" to force said occifers and their vehicles to be likewise monitored.

There was a thread a few months back about the behaviour of Law Occifers on the roadways. I wonder: Would anything change if there were objective and immediate consequences (enforced by automated computer system) based on their driving habits in the "company car" while off duty/not answering a call?

Of course, it's not much of a stretch (in theory) that such a SkyNet system of GPS/speed/RPM/local-speed-limit reporting could be tied into an automated ticketing computer. We wouldn't need the highway patrol at all. The States' Police and States' Bureaus of Investigation could/should handle the violent calls, and the excess money could/should be returned to the citizens as some minor recompense for their curtailed liberty.
Old 01-19-2003, 01:21 PM   #10
ciao
Founding Member

...to force said occifers and their vehicles to be likewise monitored.

It's already commonplace for police vehicles, ambulances and commercial fleets of all kinds - even pizza delivery cars - to be monitored real time for their location, etc.

ciao is offline   Reply With Quote