Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-19-2003, 03:05 PM   #11
TheFox
Founding Member

Default No more donut runs.

You are correct. My friends in the Cook County Sheriff's Dept. say that if they are in one location for more than 5 minutes when not or a call or their reported in lunch break, they cut in on the radio to ask if you're ok. They can't hold still in their car without good reason. Something about transponders in the radios.

--The Fox

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-19-2003, 04:35 PM   #12
Mahnken
Founding Member

Default Re: New Motorcycle Recovery System

Try www.vehicletrack.com they're based near San Diego, CA. You can put this on anything. You can set it up so you can kill the ignition, or even have it work as a governor (keep the kids under the speedlimit). This device uses cell towers to get you the GPS information. I plan on getting one and putting it on my sport bike. I like the fact the it can page you if you wish.
Mahnken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 05:17 PM   #13
SV650TX
Founding Member

A small point about cars: I used to work for a BMW dealer, so I know how techy those crazy Germans are. I also know how much pride they take in their product. They replaced thousands of V8 engines for people simply because they were making a harmless noise at idle. They knew it was their own fault, so as long as your 530, 730, 540, or 740 had fewer than 100,000 miles on it, you got a brand new powerplant at no cost. Your post reminded me of a young punk with an M3 trying to get a free engine after he floated the valves. These engines come with rev limiters, so the only way he could have jacked the engine is by forcing it into the wrong gear at a high speed. The e.c.m. showed that the crank got up to 11,500 rpm before the scatter. BMW rightly said "Up yours, buddy." As for the bike tracking, I would like to be able to find who took my Suzy so I could pound him. Guess we'll see if the system backfires.
SV650TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 05:57 PM   #14
gooseman_1
Founding Member

I'm not a conspiracy-theorist type; in fact I'm usually the opposite. But I agree with sarnali on this one, this sh!t is scary! (At least potentially)
gooseman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 08:39 AM   #15
Jakh77
Founding Member

Default Re: Maybe, if you can turn it off!

It's relatively simple to "cloak" a non-military band GPS system.

http://www.phrack-dont-give-a-*****-....php?p=60&a=13
Jakh77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 08:41 AM   #16
Jakh77
Founding Member

durn, it censored the address, just go to phrack.org and do a search for GPS. It's a pretty cool and cheap homede device that blocks the low power signals that the GPS puts out
Jakh77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 06:50 AM   #17
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

No thank you, Cycle Trak. I'm not going to be rooked into buying the "features" provided by your company. Even the threat of Big Brotherism is enough to keep me away from such technology.

I prefer to keep my own log entries and receipts when doing my IBA events. I will continue to eliminate the risk of theft rather than working to recover a stolen bike. A security system, Kryptonite wheel lock and chain have served me well over the years.

Before I became more theft aware I had a bike stolen and when I got it back it had been trashed.

Lock 'em up whenever you leave 'em. That means in the garage at home too.
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 02:44 PM   #18
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

You are darned tootin! This system, while useful for tracking stolen bikes has much potential for mischief in the wrong hands - which would be nearly all of them but your own.

sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote