Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 12-05-2002, 12:54 PM   #81
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Once upon a time there was a guy named Buell and a hypothetical Polaris situation

You and BuzLightYear are probably right that this thing will go anywhere. On the other hand I am sure folks thought Buell would go no where. However, Lets say they build a few of these things and even race a few. Polaris says hey these guys are on to something lets bring into the Polaris family. Like Harley brought Buell in.

It's possible ,likely no, but possible.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2002, 12:59 PM   #82
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: I'm not biting KPaul-san

"He's got his fingers in his ears right now going "na na na na na I can't hear you, na na na na." Oops I must of left my web cam on. LOL

[/b]"There is a huge difference between a company that builds a linup of multiple bikes in an established dealer network and someone building a one-off. " But there was this guy named Buell once.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 01:08 PM   #83
toofawater
Founding Member

Default Re: Press Release: Bob to Build Him a Motorsickle

thank you Gabe, thank you very much... just came home in crappy weather from a crappy job, read your article and laughed out loud. like I said, thanks.
toofawater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 02:06 PM   #84
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Once upon a time there was a guy named Buell and a hypothetical Polaris situation

I certainly would like to see growth in American manufacturers rather than assemblers like Indian and Big Dog. Getting into the sportbike market just seems insane going up against Japan, Inc. The Japanese can be pretty ruthless when it comes to defending their turf and have been known to do a little "dumping." (selling a product below value to drive out competitors).

On the other hand competing against H-D in the cruiser world isn't easy either. When I sold bikes I could count on one hand the number of Metric Cruisers I sold. Most were the V-Star 650 entry level type. Two years ago H-D was the #1 bike seller in the United States outselling Honda with basically one kind of bike (cruiser). It was an amazing acheivement. To date, the Victory line hasn't sold well but the new Vegas seems head and shoulders above their first model.

I'll need to see more than a cartoon of a new motorcycle before I get excited. Then the next question will be how will they sell it for anything approaching the price of a Japanese sportbike?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 02:36 PM   #85
nitrofly
Founding Member

Default Re: Press Release: New American Sportbike

The Rotax motors kick ass and using one gives this bike the very best chance of doing the same. There's a damn good reason why Aprilia - the most ass kickingest bike company in the world right now - stick this same powerplant in all their flagship bikes.

If Fischer can do the same but achieve the build quality of Triumph then this bike will be quite the mad thing.

And best of all we won't have to wait bloody months for spares to come from Italy when we wad it up.
Old 12-05-2002, 03:02 PM   #86
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell Vibration

As I stated in my earlier post -- I won't consider buying one until I see more evidence that those reliability problems are behind them.

Just because I love the concept and the handling, doesn't make me blind to their (hopefully former) weaknesses.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 03:04 PM   #87
rsheidler
Founding Member

Now we're talkin!
Old 12-05-2002, 03:13 PM   #88
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Now if Buell designed one around the Rotax engine...!

This is not as off-the-wall an idea as it might first seem. Harley has (or had) a relationship with Rotax -- at least before the Buell Blast, Harley was running Rotax singles in flat track and TT racing.

Rotax has a lot of expertise in both air and liquid cooled singles, so they probably could easily develop a unique, air cooled derevitive of the motor used in the Aprilia, that would be more in line with Eric's philosophy. They might even be able to come up with a 45 degree version rather than the 60 degree from the Aprilia, since they need a balance shaft anyway -- that would maintain the look and packaging features of the current Buells, and might be more palatable to the H-D brass.
Old 12-05-2002, 03:17 PM   #89
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Follow-up #2

Now if you really wanna get into wet dream territory (at least in MY dreams) we would use the KTM V-twin, which is much lighter and smaller, and let Eric design a new bike around that. Damn, where are the tissues?!
Old 12-05-2002, 06:29 PM   #90
sarnali
Founding Member

C'mon now, I didn't say anything about "hate America or hate Harley's! I merely pointed out that Brit. bikes were more sport oriented, than Harley, indian, Henderson et-al, You seem to have been around bikes at least as long as I have, so you know that back in the days of Vincent's and Norton's your American choice was a Hydra glide or a 45 servi-car, or an Indian roadmaster, nice bikes fer sure, but hardly sportbikes, The Harley and Indian race teams kicked ass for years, and watching On any sunday is pure heaven with the BSA and Harley's dukein' it out, I didn't mean to slam you, Just trying to keep it straight.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote