Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 12-05-2002, 08:44 AM   #71
john
Founding Member

Default Re: I'm not biting KPaul-san

they only ever made 10.............have fun geting one

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2002, 08:44 AM   #72
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Press Release: New American Sportbike

That and all the P.R. associated with the release of the first Chief model. I figured I'd give them a break on the clone motor thing because Indian kept repeating it was just a stopgap measure until they designed and built its own motor.

Then they come out the the new engine and any idiot can see it's an Evo clone with round fins. Geez! Is this what we were waiting for? At least the Kawasaki Drifter has its own motor. Maybe Kawi should have sued for the rights to the Indian name.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 10:02 AM   #73
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: I'm not biting KPaul-san

It's just another KPaul apples to oranges comparison. There is a huge difference between a company that builds a linup of multiple bikes in an established dealer network and someone building a one-off.

He's got his fingers in his ears right now going "na na na na na I can't hear you, na na na na."
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 11:05 AM   #74
intruderman
Founding Member

Default My sentiments exactly.

Polaris? Are you listening? Harley's been dropping the ball long enough. I know we can build a better engine than Japan, Inc. if we try.
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 11:10 AM   #75
intruderman
Founding Member

Default Let Polaris do it.

Anybody else read that interview with what's-his-name of Victory motorcycles recently in the print rags? He hinted at a Victory sportbike someday. They've got the capital to do it and I wish they would. If Bloor can do it with Triumph then I know Polaris can.
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 12:19 PM   #76
blackburd
Founding Member

Dude, Don't put any money on the club rider.

GP racers operate on a entirely different leve.
blackburd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 12:20 PM   #77
dlinder
Founding Member

Default Re: Hope they do better with the bike than the P.R.

It's great if they bring in an outside firm to 'help' them design their engine (read: design their engine). I'm not opposed to great engines, or great bikes.

I am opposed to the extent to which people buy into American jingoism to wave the Harley Davidson banner. I don't buy japanese bikes because they are Japanese... I buy Japanese bikes because they are the best. Ducati and Aprillia are great too, but overpriced (especially Ducati of course) and relatively unreliable. I'd buy an American bike if it was better, but they aren't. I'm not buying into the HD marketing department's line that because the company is in the US, that I should have some special allegiance to them... Would people who worked at HD insist on keeping me in business if I ran a shop that produced overpriced, underperforming goods (I'm an American too, after all)?

If HD had to bring in outside engineers to design a decent engine, that just suggests that their internal engineers are not up to the task. That's a strong suggestion that Harley Davidson is a second rate firm in terms of engineering (if not in marketing).

When Japanese manufactuers had to bring in American engineers, it was (similarly) because Japanese motorcycle engineering was second rate at the time. I wouldn't have bought a product from them then, any more than I'll buy a HD product today.
dlinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 12:40 PM   #78
dlinder
Founding Member

I'll retract my hypothetical Rossi race. I don't think I'm wrong, but unless you one of you guys have his cel phone number, debating that speculative point is (I admit) pretty silly.

To you, maybe a sportsbike is just any motorcycle that is fast and can corner well at the hands of a very capable pilot. By that definition; sure the Buell is a sportbike. Of course so is just about everything this side of a fat boy.

I think of sportbikes in terms of machines that could realistically be raced, right out of the box. Machines that are all about performance, not looks or image (think: streetfighters generally) or practicality (think: sport-tourers).

To me a Firebolt is a pretty neat machine, although not one I personally would ever consider, given its price, looks, and reliability. I wouldn't label it a 'real' or 'hardcore' sportbike, but maybe you would (which was the original point).
Old 12-05-2002, 12:47 PM   #79
dlinder
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell Vibration

'Bike' magazine from the UK has a new Buell (lightning, I think) in its long term test fleet. They seem to have been having nothing but problems with it from day one.

Hey, if you guys love them that much, go for it. However, gushing reviews from MO (who as everyone knows had a major ad agreement with Buell) aren't going to pay your repair bills. If you printed them out they might help to wipe the oil off of your garage floor, though.
Old 12-05-2002, 12:51 PM   #80
jmeyn
Founding Member

Now if Buell designed one around the Rotax engine...!
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote