Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 12-05-2002, 04:47 AM   #61
redrooster077
Founding Member

Default Re: Press Release: New American Sportbike

A '62 COBRA?!?! I'd like to see that. Just what powerplant did they use?
redrooster077 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2002, 05:14 AM   #62
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I think it's a little different. Indian was claiming all this "heritage" and "since 1901" BS and then taking softail frames and sticking Harley clone motors in them.

Now if Fischer was calling themselves the "new Laverda" that might be a different story.

Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 05:22 AM   #63
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Wake me when it's over.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 07:13 AM   #64
rsheidler
Founding Member

Original models used the 260 cu in Ford V8 from the Fairlaine -- quickly changed to the 289. I recall that the base version was the same hi po 271 hp used in the HP Mustangs -- other versions with various intakes, up to 4 dual choke Webers produced lots more.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 07:28 AM   #65
rsheidler
Founding Member

Do the Italians complain that Aprilias are not real Italian bikes 'cause they use Austrian engines?

As to Indian, I think part of the outrage at their use of Harley clone engines is due to the fact that Harley and Indian were always arch rivals. Using a Harley engine is kinda like someone deciding to produce a modern replica of a 55 Chevy and powering it with a small block Ford V8!
Old 12-05-2002, 07:55 AM   #66
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Buell Vibration

Maybe some of the engineers lurking around here can explain how engine vibration contributed to warped front disks. Since every late model Buell I have seen had a big single disk, I assume that your use of the plural form refers to sequential, rather simultaneous warping.

Reliability of Buells (or more accurately, lack of same) is what has thus far prevented my from buying one. I am waiting for a bit more feedback on the new ones before getting serious.

As to power, if you really want more, go with some other bike, but for real world sport riding, I seriously doubt that 5% of existing sportsbike riders come close to using the perfomance of even the most obsolete sportsbikes out there. For most, more hp is a crutch to compensate for lack of corner speed.
Old 12-05-2002, 08:10 AM   #67
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Hope they do better with the bike than the P.R.

Yeah, that is the Tul-aris mentioned above. A really interesting project. In this case, the engine is the least interesting part. The good doctor Tul... something or other (that is the Tul part of the name) is a real rocket scientist, applying cutting edge technology to chassis development. I believe it has some serious success in CCS Midwest Region racing this past season.
Old 12-05-2002, 08:20 AM   #68
KPaulCook
Banned

ouch
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 08:32 AM   #69
john
Founding Member

Yeah and back in the day Harley sold race bikes.......times change......funny that, harley heritage is stooped in sportbikes......

i was reading about a 54-57 (somewhere in there) K model,,,,,,,,it was race spec but sold to customers,,,,,,,390lbs and 100 hp were the specs, it is out of a harley histroy book, so take it for what it is worth.....its amazing a company can be so retroactive, performance wise.
Old 12-05-2002, 08:33 AM   #70
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Hope they do better with the bike than the P.R.

My Ford Escape was designed almost entirely by Mazda, my Mazda Miata was styled by Americans in Southern California, my Ducati was built by a company traded on the New York Stock Exchange -- the financial resources of Texas Pacific Corp permitted hiring manufacturing and quality control expertise from Germany and Japan. All these are better vehicles as a result. No company or country has a monopoly on expertise -- all successful manufacturing organizations will try obtain the best available expertise, with little regard to nationality.

Porsche happens to be one of the most successful consulting design and industrial engineering firms -- doing a great deal of work for competitors like Mercedes and BMW -- if it is OK for BMW to use them, why should someone rag on HD for doing so?