Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 12-04-2002, 08:24 PM   #51
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Press Release: New American Sportbike

scam would be my guess, it takes a lot to start up a viable m/c company, look at whats come and gone in the last 10 years, the only one making any kind of real progress is Triumph.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2002, 08:45 PM   #52
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Hope they do better with the bike than the P.R.

Porsche built a V-4 engine for them in about '82 or '83, they've had their hand in developing this one since then, Harley's done an impressive job with the a/c pushrod engines, considering the enviromental and styling hoops they have to jump through, that remains their core-competancey [ large defence/aerospace manufacturer term-O-the- day] but sooner or later I think they'll have to go to a V-rod style line up, It makes good sense get help from acknowledged design leaders like Porsche or Rotax.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 03:25 AM   #53
Grover
Founding Member

Sorry dlinder, why don't you go back and read MO's review of the firebolt and the comparo they did vs. the 900SS. IN THE TWISTIES, the firebolt outran the R1 and the RC51. Now, that is a qualified statement, but what's more important to you, handling prowess that is, in my and many other's opinions, second to none, or the ability to totally screw up a corner and have your high-powered bike make up for it on the next long straitaway merely by twisting your wrist.

The firebolt is one of the best handling street motorcycles ever built in the opinion of many riders (myself included) and many motojournalists. Don't go making silly comments like the ones above unless you have a clue what you're talking about. I'll take Rossi on a firebolt over your club racer on an R-1 at any track that doesn't have straightaways longer than 3/4 mile or so.

And for what it's worth, my beloved 900SS got absolutely stomped by the 'bolt in that MO comparo I referred to above, and it pissed me off something fierce. Then I went out and actually rode one. I quickly realized that JohnnieB was completely right.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 03:29 AM   #54
Grover
Founding Member

It was designed almost entirely by Porshe with help from a few select H-D guys that spoke german and lived there for a few years. Harley had additional input and made/suggested changes as testing progressed. Most of the individual parts are sourced (I think) and the engines are assembled in Kansas City.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 03:39 AM   #55
Buzglyd
Founding Member

According to the most recent "Enthusiast" magazine, H-D will meet 2008 EPA/CARB targets with the Twin Cam motor so the ol' pushrod will be around for awhile.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 03:40 AM   #56
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Wow! A new American sportbike! Well, it's a picture of a new Americannn sportbike, with lots of good PR and plenty of promises. I wonder if they have that trainload of money to lose on sportbikes like the Japanese do? Is Fischer going to sell theirs for $10,599?? Probably more line $29,599, which will put them right up there with Confederate and Big Dog for sales. As Polaris and Excelcior-Henderson found out, it takes lots of R&D after the product is built to get it right. Instead of Fischer telling me how wonderful their product is, how about they make some and let the consumer make those decisions. All there is now is plenty of hype and a few drawings. Boy, I'm excited.
Old 12-05-2002, 04:18 AM   #57
seruzawa
The Toad

Sheesh, seruzawa. You can't even mention that Americans did build sportbikes a long time ago without taking flack from the "hate America" crowd.
Old 12-05-2002, 04:29 AM   #58
seruzawa
The Toad

Then you'd better not mention all that American engineering that Honda bought back in the 70's in their attempt to best HD at flattrack. Squids don't want to read about that at all.

For some strange reason when the Japanese do it it's always fully justified and perfectly okay. Imagine what Japanese sportbikes would look like if they didn't hire Italians to style them. Can you say "Honda Benly"?

This is conflict is beginning to sound more like dealing with deep-seated America-haters, a very common animal here in the States. Why doesn't Yammerhammer get wacked for building air-cooled V-twins? Some of the same clowns who constantly rag HD have nothing but praise for Yamaha.
Old 12-05-2002, 04:36 AM   #59
seruzawa
The Toad

All I was saying was that there have been American Sortbikes for nigh unto 100 years. Maybe they lost their edge a long time ago, but still they did exist.

I do recall that HD humiliated Honda and everyone else for years at flattrack during the 70's. Honda's massive spending didn't help them much either.

I'm not about to defend the arrogant complacency of American industry after

WWII. Too many American companies thought that they could ride the wave of post-war prosperity forever. We'd probably still be buying 30's era automotive technology if it weren't for foreign competition.
Old 12-05-2002, 04:39 AM   #60
mconlon
Founding Member

So, an "American" bike, eh? With an Austrian engine which is also being used in "Italian" bikes?!?!? Remember, the new Indians get ragged on all the time by people who deride their use of Harley-clone engines--how is this any different? Different bike category; same old story. Wake me when there's a sportbike produced in the USA with a new, competitive, US-designed and built engine and maybe I'll pay attention.

mconlon is offline   Reply With Quote