Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 12-04-2002, 02:44 PM   #41
dlinder
Founding Member

Default Re: Press Release: New American Sportbike

I think he means 'real sportbikes' in the sense that they are built to be competitive performance wise and not depend on people buying it because it's American.

A much better rider (or simply someone willing to push much harder on the street, often a foolish proposition) being able to embarrass a pilot who sucks, on a Buell is not the same as being competitive.

I'm sorry, but that Firebolt is just not taking down an R-1. It's not taking an R-6 for that matter. Again, obviously if the guy riding the R-1 sucks, they might... but I could beat my girlfriend if she was driving a dodge viper and I was in a neon (because she can't drive manual).

I would be willing to bet that a decent club racer on an R-1 could thrash Rossi on a Firebolt. That's not competitive and it's not sporting. It might be 'sporty', but that's a little different.
dlinder is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2002, 02:50 PM   #42
dlinder
Founding Member

Default Re: Hope they do better with the bike than the P.R.

There are lots and lots of things that you can't explain to a squid. I don't even understand quantum gravity, to tell the truth.

But that said, it's going to take some mighty fancy splainin' to convince anyone that Porsche's role in the design of the V-rod engine was as incidental as you are suggesting that it was. At least anyone that knows anything about the facts... or Harley Davidson's history... or ever ridden a Harley with a Harley designed engine... or anyone who ever heard of Harley Davidson's superbike program.

Let's call Pascal Picotte up and see if you can explain to him about Harley's engine designing prowess...
dlinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 03:08 PM   #43
rsheidler
Founding Member

First comment -- of the people I know personally who own Buells, none chose it because it was American -- in fact none had previously owned an American bike. Most own several bikes, with BMW sportstourers and Japanese Sportbikes being most common.

My point was not that a good rider on a Buell could beat a mediocre rider on a R6, et al -- it was that, given equal skill, the Buell will at least be close. Don't believe me, ask MO's own Sean Alexander or Johnny Burns, who have plenty of seat time in both.

As to your conclusion that a decent club racer on an R-1 would thrash Rossi on a Firebolt .... if you can arrange that on any track with reasonably short straights (my choice would be the Streets of Willow), I'll bet my entire pension on Rossi.

rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 03:17 PM   #44
rsheidler
Founding Member

Oh yeah -- forgot to add to my last post....

By your logic -- that a Firebolt is not a sportsbike because it is not as fast on a track as an R6 -- that because of that it is "sporty" but not a "sportsbike," then my Mazda Miata is not a sportscar, but is just sporty, since it is not as fast on the track as is a Corvette or Porsche (see, I don't have a problem with Japanese inline 4s). For that matter, it is like saying that R6s are not sportsbikes because they are not as fast as R1s or CBR954s.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 03:20 PM   #45
torrnado
Founding Member

Finally...an American motorcycle ('superbike')...nobody asked for.
torrnado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 04:08 PM   #46
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Ok. So what are the facts? What was Porsche's role in the design of the V-Rod motor? Was it consulting or is it built in Stuttgart and shipped to Milwaukee?

Hint: Stuttgart is in Germany.....
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 04:39 PM   #47
rideondude
Founding Member

Default The "real" American Sportbike

Well, my Thunderbolt had warped front discs, various oil leaks, and misc problems, mostly due to vibration. Still, I liked the bike but it's the engine that's holding Erik Buell back. I wanted an American built sportbike but didn't get as much sport as I'd hoped. I wish Buell well but won't buy another one until there is a liquid-cooled motor that puts out some serious HP.
rideondude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 04:53 PM   #48
rideondude
Founding Member

Default Pics of the New American Sportbike

wow, what great pictures. clay mockup, 2 CAD photos and an artists conception. If they are as far along in development as they say, then a few "real" pics shouldn't be a big deal. Hell, tease us a little bit!
rideondude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 06:34 PM   #49
Mooner
Founding Member

Currently every big snowmobile manufacturer is putting out four strokers. They all are pitifully slow with the exception of Yamaha's RX-1. Engine based on (of course) the R-1. Polaris does have an 750cc four stoke with intercooled turbo that puts out 150 hp in their watercraft. Might be really cool in a bike if you could get the reliability.....
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 08:09 PM   #50
sarnali
Founding Member

I would say the direct line for todays sport bikes go's back to the Norton's, Vincent's, Brough's and Arial's starting in the 20's and 30's If your talking about lightweight, fast, good handlers, I think you need to cross the pond, American bikes have allways been fairly heavy and poor handling, as you recall, Harley didn't even build a hydrolic fork till '49 or a swingarm frame till the '55 model K, and Harley was an innovative company then, as now. Speaking of that, if these guy's claim to fame is their work on the VR1000, I'd have my doubts, Did that bike even finish 50% the races it entered?
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote