Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 12-05-2002, 07:49 PM   #91
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Hope they do better with the bike than the P.R.

Considering the design parameters Harley has to work with, I'd say they were well up to the task, look what happens when they come out with a competitive design like the V-rod, the core market turns up their nose's, go figure that one out! Their job of meeting EPA requirements, Style parameters and keeping their buyers standing in line to pay over book for their products show true genius in my book. And new Harley's are every bit as innovative as Honda or what have you, I don't buy into the flag waver crap myself, I remember Lee Iaccoca standing in front of the statue of liberty waving flags, when half his car's had Mitsubishi engines in them, enough to make my dog puke.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2002, 11:05 PM   #92
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Re: Press Release: Bob to Build Him a Motorsickle

Check out my post on the Laverda story

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 08:36 AM   #93
triumph900
Founding Member

Default Re: Once upon a time there was a guy named Buell and a hypothetical Polaris situation

A LITTLE dumping?????????????????
triumph900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 09:10 AM   #94
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Press Release: New American Sportbike

I take your point. I wasn't labelling you an "America laster". If you felt that I was I apologize.

I'm trying to come up with an reason why there is so much irrational animosity towards Harley. They really do nothing that every other manufacturer would or could do if they could get away with it. So I'm reluctantly beginning to chalk it up to the sort of people who simply dislike everything about the US.

I've yet to hear Yamaha get ragged for their limited numbers of FJ1300s. These have resulted in inflated dealer prices locally and will continue to do so until the production numbers rise enough.

Triumph dealers also inflate prices of select models. Where's the knee-jerk reaction to them?
Old 12-06-2002, 09:21 AM   #95
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Hope they do better with the bike than the P.R.

If the other manufacturers could get away with a mystique like HD's they'd line right up for it. Honda is trying right now with its unintentionally humorous line of woodpecker designer clothing.

If you are looking for a culture that is jingoistic you need go no further than Japan. It'll be a cold day in hell when the Japanese open their trade doors for foreign bikes to compete on anything like an even basis.

The rub comes from the term "underperforming". For the people who like cruisers the amount of performance is perfectly adequate for their riding habits. And as far a reliability goes I've owned post-AMF HD's that were more reliable than same era Japanese bikes.

One man's meat is another man's poison.
Old 12-06-2002, 12:31 PM   #96
obandoj
Founding Member

We will see, price and performance will make it or brake it.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 02:38 PM   #97
Troy_Smith
Founding Member

Default Honda NAS from Laguna Seca 2001

I was excited when i read this headline, i thought it was in reference to Honda's NAS concept. That thing was very, very cool IMO.

This is cool news also, although i agree with others that it would be nice to see a domestic engine being used.
Troy_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 04:47 PM   #98
sarnali
Founding Member

No problem, My feeling is that it's a backlash to the whole Harley's best, F**k the rest attitude a few HD fans adopt, I don't think Harley's doing anything the other manufacturer's wouldn't do if they were in that market position, I think it's the old lefty attitude some have that everything America does is wrong, therefore everything America makes is junk, It doesn't occure to them that if you said "the government sucks" in most country's they'd lock you up and throw away the key. They criticise the country that gives them the freedom to criticise it in the first place, pretty lame in my book.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 12:18 PM   #99
pplassm
Founding Member

Honda didn't really contest flattrack until the 80's. After they won a few times, they realized the futility of expending funds only to be thwarted by protectionist rule changes every year. In fact, some of the old RS750s are still competitive against the XRs, even if the competitors have to make parts themselves.

Now, Yamaha, that's another story. Remember the TZ750(700) miler? Immediately banned by the AMA. It's no surprise the Japanese gave up on flat track.