Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 11-04-2002, 04:00 PM   #1
nick_hk
Founding Member

Default Re: Death of the V-Twin in Road Racing

Since when has the track been considered a "road"? 'Road racing' refers to events that are held (and this is the really surprising bit) on a ROAD. The best example of such is the Isle of Mann TT, where Joey Dunlop ruled supreme. There are many road events staged in Ireland during the year, and several in mainland Britain. These events are all held on roads, with very little safety features, hence the morbid fascination with such events. Every year, riders die during these events.

Track racing is different. Nowadays WSBK and Moto GP events are held on purpose built tracks, full of safety features. You hardly ever see a rider dying on the track.

As I recall, V-twins NEVER had much luck in real road racing. Only Joey Dunlop succesfully raced a Honda SP-1 in the Isle of Mann TT. These events are now ruled by the Suzuki GSX-R family and Yamaha R 1s ....

REAL riding is on the ROAD.
nick_hk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-04-2002, 04:31 PM   #2
What__4
Founding Member

Error of it's ways? I guess you just started keeping up with racing, uh, the last couple of months. You might not sound so ignorant if you done a little research. Ask your sister, she probably knows more about superbike racing than you. World GP is slightly different than World Superbike but I guess not enough for you to notice. The only reason Ducati would need to change the firing order from a twin pulse would be to keep from lighting the rear tire up at 190 mph. It doesn't look like abandonment at the dealers, or in superbike or in the Garage at my house. And I guess death to the V-Twin means Honda will do away with theirs next year also.... Know anything about personal watercraft?

J Mckinney
What__4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 05:53 PM   #3
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Just when we thought you got it.....

After making numerous enemies and being the target of massive flames you finally realized the error of your whole price/performance mantra you have to go and do this.

I'll never understand your mentality. Your incredible immaturity is evident in your post. Have you ever even been to a motorcycle race?

Moto GP and Superbike are two completely different animals. Honda is campaigning the RC51 next year in Superbike not the CBR954. I'm not going to bother to explain anything else to you.

Since you love reading magazines, perhaps you should read some Kevin Cameron articles in Cycle World.

Let the flames begin!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 06:37 PM   #4
allbikesbiker
Registered Member

I'm sure that you have a specific type of spectacles to see 'the death of the V-Twin' in that article. I can't see it. For Moto GP, it was a two stroke war, having nothing to do with the Ducati V-twin, or the RC51 for that matter. Now, if you were referring to WSB then I'd have to agree that the V-Twin is probably not going to be top dog much longer, barring any unforseen rule changes to slow down the 1000cc 4's.

Once they start producing the road versions of the GP bikes by Aprilia, Honda, Yamaha and Ducati we'll all have a lot more fun on the street and a heck of a lot more competitive manufacturers in WSB...saying it again.. barring any rule changes.
allbikesbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 06:55 PM   #5
john
Founding Member

Well if you read the Article with input from Mr. Forni, the guy who designed the thing, he said the twin pulse would not deliver enough power to compete with other 4 strokes.......not that it wouldnt get enough traction.....
Old 11-04-2002, 07:18 PM   #6
ckirk
Registered Member

How did this news "article" by KPaulCook get any status under "Latest News"? He's either fishing with major flame bait or is a dithering uninformed moron. Hard to tell which but the fact you guys gave it any status or credence is frightening & does not bode well for your continuing credibility or my continued $ support.
ckirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 08:03 PM   #7
NotoriousDJW
Registered Member

Dang Kpaul,

I hope you're wearing some nomex underwear on this one. I think you should take note of the fact that whether there is a level playing field is still debatable because MotoGP rules have differing minimum weights for twins, triples, fours and fives, and six or more cylinders. The question that is not answered here is: What configuration is best if there are no rules other than max displacement? Still I applaud the inflammatory tone of your post.

Dennis
NotoriousDJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 08:04 PM   #8
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Dear What? Perhaps you had better rethink your reasoning behind Ducati's change in firing order. The plain fact is that many GP bikes changed to what was known as big bang timing where all of the power strokes occured close together to GAIN traction. The theory is that although this timing order reduced horse power it allowed time for the tire to "settle in" thereby saving the rear tire, making the bike easier to ride, and lowering lap times. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 08:59 PM   #9
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Why WSB doesn't matter any more

Unless the other Japanese makers come to play (Kawasaki has already said no, Yamaha too) does it matter if Ducati dominates a field full of Ducatis, a lone RC51 and a lone Aprilia? No one wants to play in a field where the rules aren't fair ....they have taken their toys to MotoGP.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 09:03 PM   #10
KPaulCook
Banned

Be a sport and play along. Seriously give us your opinion (no not wether I am an idiot or not my wife can answer that). What do think? Are V-Twins going to die like other dead engine confiugurations? I say yes. What say you?

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote