Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 11-05-2002, 12:39 PM   #71
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Death of the V-Twin in Road Racing

Death of the V-Twin in Road Racing. Is what we are talking about not rather you have a book of quotations at your desk. Think for your self. Attack the idea not the person. Or maybe Lincoln's quote applys to you instead of me.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2002, 12:58 PM   #72
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Confucious Say

The flames on this thread aren't headed my way KPaul-san. I would say your "colorful manner" rubs a lot of people the wrong way.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 01:30 PM   #73
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Justifiable Paranoia

You're attacking a friend. He's responding to one of your opponents.

I suggested you do this and look at the result; Sorry KPaul. You got a lot of good responses though, didn't you?
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 01:34 PM   #74
rsheidler
Founding Member

Question is how much of Honda's domination in 2003 is due to to Rossi? Clearly, Yamaha was off the pace early, although how much of this was due to a slow "learning curve" on Biaggi's part is a question. By later in the season, Biaggi was every bit as fast as Rossi most of the time -- couldn't tranaslate it into race wins that often but it wasn't the bike's speed at issue.

Today, Barros tried the M1 for the first time, at Valencia, and by the end of the day, had matched his qualifying times from last weekend (this reportedly on race, not qualifying tires), which suggests that the 4 cylinder is not inherently inferior to the 5.

For pure motor performance, the 3 cyl Aprilia is generally regarded as having the most power, the issue is getting the bike weight down to close to the legal minimum, and learning to control that power.

I think it is way to early to declare one configuration inherently superior.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 01:41 PM   #75
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Apologize for what?

Why not just sit back and let your forum function as a forum. I'm terribly disappointed in you and Sean.

Most of us accepted this post as food for thought and conversation.
Old 11-05-2002, 01:46 PM   #76
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Sad day for MO

You're sucking up, Sean. Sorry, but you are. This thread is the worst thing I've seen at MO. John Burns can't help being vicious, that's who he is. But you should be ashamed of yourself.
Old 11-05-2002, 01:47 PM   #77
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Barros on a 4-stroke was the best thing to happen to MotoGP this Year

Damn, ever since Barros got on a 4-stroke, he has turned what was a Rossi parade into great racing. Now that he is on a Yamaha, he went out his first day (today) and matched his best qualifying time from last weekend. Imagine what he can do once he learns the bike and gets its suspension etc dialed in!

And I am rambling too......

bob
Old 11-05-2002, 02:31 PM   #78
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Bit of an oversimplification

A twin-pulse v4 would have SOME characteristics of a twin but in terms of volumetric efficiency is is still pretty much like any other 4 -- when it comes to getting the cylinder filled with air/fuel, getting it ignited and burned quickly, and then getting the burned gasses out. Compared to a big twin, it will have a shorter stroke, and thus lower peak piston speeds -- and corresponding higher potential peak rpm.

This is where a twin (any configuration) is at a disadvantage compared to a multi. Two big cylinders are harder to fill quickly, and it is more difficult to induce the flame front completely across the combustion chamber at very high speeds. Then, if you shorten the stroke to limit peak piston speeds comperable to those of 4+ cylinder motors, you would need to increase the bore even further, making it even more difficult to get the fuel/air mixture completely burned in the milliseconds allowed. Fundamentally, singles and twins are inherently slower reving engines than multis, all other things being equal. That is why WSB gave the displacement advantage, and that is the reason why MotoGP has different weight limits for different configurations. Honda could have gone with a 6 and would likely have produced more peak power, but would have had to have higher weight as well.

The power delivery of a twin-pulse v4 will potentially have more in common with a v-twin, which is likely why Ducati are testing it -- if nothing else, their existing understanding of how to get power down to the track, from their WSB experience will better translate to the new bike.

I am not sure, but I believe that the Honda V5 is also timed to fire like a twin -- if so, does that make it also essentially a V-twin?

This same approach has been used for several years in the 500 2-stroke gp bikes as a means of getting more rear-wheel traction. As I understand it, the so called "big bang" engines have a little softer breakway -- it is easier to tiptoe right up to the edge of the limit without crossing over it.
Old 11-05-2002, 03:45 PM   #79
BykerGeek
Founding Member

Is KPaul any relation to Mrs Paul (of fish stick fame and glory) ? This whole thread smells of rotting minced fish chum; ie Capt. KPaul has been trolling for bites.
BykerGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 04:20 PM   #80
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default Staff Opening

Okay, I spend a lot of time lurking.

I ride a Road King and a a hi-viz/red Roadcrafter and love it.

I've been irked by a lot of what KPaul says, but consider this: when the news posts are knowledgable and informative it tends to reduce/remove the need or desire for reader input. when KPaul comes out of the woodwork/closet/clear blue sky with something like this, I read some of the most informative posts and intelligent, issue-driven debate I've read on this site in a lond darn time, and I've been reading here since I was in my teens, back when this was a BBS, back when Bartell's was involved. I still don't know beans about racing; just never been interested. But I've learned more about WSB and MotoGP and so forth from this "news story" feedback than I've ever known.

So if KPaul *is* playing 'village idiot' then I'm all for it; give him a job. If it's true that his knowledge base approaches that of a mollusk then it's incontrivertible that his instigation in this case has served to draw the best from many of the rest of you.

"It's a good thing." (tm)

Damon

pii-esse: just got back from Biketoberfest for the first time. I never knew you weren't suposed to ride. A lot of H-D guys seemed genuinely nervous being around someone who rode all the way from Atlanta. I got the tee-shirt that says "I rode my bike to Trailer Week" because I had, and now I know why there are problems with parking in Daytona. It's not so much the bike a it is the bike trailer hitched to the SUV hitched to the Winnebago.