Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 11-05-2002, 04:38 AM   #21
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Why WSB doesn't matter any more

The rules aren't fair? Remember, (well you can't because you just started "reading" about racing two months ago) when the 750cc four-1000cc twin rule was implemented, the 750cc fours were making more power than the 1000cc twins. Two cylinder engine development advanced and yes the series is now dominated by twins and could use some tweaking.

If your beloved Japanese manufacturers (is your wife Japanese?) wanted to run at the front, all they had to do was manuafacture a 1000cc twin and do it. Honda did. Suzuki tried and failed. Kawasaki and Yamaha didn't bother. In fact Kawasaki hasn't advanced the Zx-7 or Zx9 in years preferring to concentrate on Supersport.

Part of the job of a sanctioning body is to create a level playing field for all-notice the addition of 1000cc fours for 2003. If the fours become too dominant, look for additional changes to help twins and three cylinder machines.

If you had ever bothered to actually attend a race, you might realize that the diversity of the machinery is what makes racing exciting. Perhaps you would prefer a spec series. The Japanese could have all stepped up and built a competitive bike under the current rule structure. Hell they all sell more bikes in a month than Ducati sells in a year.

Why don't you give the Italians some credit for engineering excellence. Personally, I like the Superbike format because it allows one to see machinery raced that is available (with some exceptions, e.g. R7, VR1000) in the showroom.

In MotoGP it doesn't take a genuis to realize that given equal displacements, a 4 or 5 cylinder machine will make more power than a two cylinder. Thanks for the update. The team who spends the most will win, just like Formula One which is dominated by Ferrari (using a V-10 not available in any of its cars so perhaps the "death of the V-12 post is next).

You keep reading your magazines and let us know when you've learned something new. I'll be at 3-4 races in 2003.

Poppa Wheelie
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2002, 04:45 AM   #22
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Death of the V-Twin in Road Racing

I don't know if a 250cc four is inferior. I think the manufacturers realize that 4-stroke development is vital due to the fact that the Feds have targeted two-strokes for extinction.

I agree with everything else you said about KPaul though!
Old 11-05-2002, 04:45 AM   #23
bwarbiany23
Founding Member

Hence why you first of all, see 4-strokes at all in MotoGP. Honda wanted it in the first place.

And of course, why you see 1000cc I-4's in WSB and AMA Superbike. The Japanese manufacturers don't want to make a V-Twin, so they're pushing the rules to allow 1000cc I-4's, which frankly are going to whup up on the competition (late 2003 season, and all of 2004 if you ask me, I think the beginning of next season will be for development)

Brad
bwarbiany23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 04:51 AM   #24
red916
Founding Member

This is insane...
red916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 05:10 AM   #25
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Well JB, like I've said before, he's brought all of us together (cruiser and sportbike types alike) to universally despise him.

I'll pay double the subscription price to keep him off.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:15 AM   #26
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I agree. The Japanese understandably want to race what they sell. Liter class fours are hot right now. I don't expect Ducati or Aprilia to ever make an inline four so I'm sure after 2003 the rules will be tweaked to make Vtwins more competitive.

I think the best part about attending a race is hearing the different engine sounds as the bikes race around the track. I think an all I-4 series would get a bit dull.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:30 AM   #27
rsheidler
Founding Member

I seem to recall the late Mike "The Bike" Hailwood doing OK on his Ducati at the Isle of Mann TT a few years back.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 05:39 AM   #28
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Why WSB doesn't matter any more

I'll see you at Laguna next year.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 05:44 AM   #29
KPaulCook
Banned

Read the article sadsac