Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 02-16-2010, 09:33 AM   #31
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I only saw a few episodes but on biker build off they had to bulid a bike and complete a trip on it, so they werent assembling candy to put in showrooms, they made something that functioned & had to prove it.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-16-2010, 09:49 AM   #32
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

I was waiting for the Kawasaki episode of Twist of the Throttle to come on HD Theater last night and they had some excerpts from the show. Maybe it was a Farewell Special or something. Anyhoo, Paul Sr. was really ripping into the older kid in one part...the youngster was almost crying, Sr. was kicking down doors. The older kid grabbed his bandana and left. Then they showed the fat kid with the crummy haircut was shopping with some hot chick who may have been boinking him. They were buying t-shirts and stuff.

The Kawasaki show was really neat. I think the racetrack they showed was where Mr. Duke rode the new Ninja 600. They said it was the first time they'd allowed ganja journalists to ride there. Or is that ganjin?

Last edited by Kenneth_Moore : 02-16-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:58 AM   #33
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
I was waiting for the Kawasaki episode of Twist of the Throttle to come on HD Theater last night and they had some excerpts from the show... The Kawasaki show was really neat. I think the racetrack they showed was where Mr. Duke rode the new Ninja 600. They said it was the first time they'd allowed ganja journalists to ride there.
D@mn! I missed that one. I'm gonna have to look it up on TiVo
Old 02-16-2010, 10:24 AM   #34
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
D@mn! I missed that one. I'm gonna have to look it up on TiVo
Yeah, it was great' I'm sure it will be on again. I'm going to find all the episodes and DVR them.

I'd forgotten about the Kawi triples, the Mach III was before my time, but their legend lived on. That damn thing was making 90 hp; back in the day of flexy-flyer frames and bias ply tires. Kawasaki went into the bike building game just to get brand recognition for their other industrial products. Their assembly line and factory were very impressive. It's mass production, no doubt, but they seem to have a passion for bikes; certainly the leadership does.

I'd love to see the same type of show on Suzook; I've heard they are a very small company compared to Honda and Kawi. I guess Yamaha comes in somewhere in-between.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:22 AM   #35
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:

I'd love to see the same type of show on Suzook; I've heard they are a very small company compared to Honda and Kawi. I guess Yamaha comes in somewhere in-between.

One of the English mags did a tour of the Suzuki factory a year or two ago, they said basically they were the Japanese version of Ducati. Everything done in-house at one fairly small factory, motors all blueprinted and balanced, dedicated and enthusiastic workers....they came away very impressed.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:01 PM   #36
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Corporate-wise Honda and Suzuki are larger than Kawasaki and Yamaha. However Honda and Yamaha motorcycle sales are much larger than Suzuki and Kawasaki. As I recall Yamaha is the smallest of the 4 corporations with Kawasaki next.

Recent revenue figures:
Yamaha- $4.6 billion
Kawasaki- $15 billion
Suzuki- $33.4 billion
Honda- $120 billion

It's interesting that although Suzuki brought in 7 times as much revenue as Yamaha their actual income was $300 million vs $200 million for Yamaha. Honda's was about $1.2 billion. I guess there's better profit in musical instruments than in cars and motorcycles.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:11 PM   #37
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I understood the cars, bikes & power equipment relation, but not the bikes, (no cars, or power equipment) & music equipment. Mitsubishi makes TV's & cars???
Old 02-16-2010, 01:19 PM   #38
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Star Ride View Post
I understood the cars, bikes & power equipment relation, but not the bikes, (no cars, or power equipment) & music equipment. Mitsubishi makes TV's & cars???
Yamaha makes musical instruments. Some very good ones too I might add. My wife has a Yamaha acoustical guitar. In fact, the Yamaha logo is three crossed tuning forks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yamaha-logo_000.jpg (14.3 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by seruzawa : 02-16-2010 at 01:21 PM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:47 PM   #39
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Yamaha makes musical instruments. Some very good ones too I might add. My wife has a Yamaha acoustical guitar. In fact, the Yamaha logo is three crossed tuning forks.
Yamaha owns the offshore outboard market. I bought one of the first ones widely sold in the 80's. It was a 3 cylinder 90hp; 2-stroke of course. It was 1/3 the size and 1/2 the weight of the competitive Johnson 100hp, which was a V-4. I beat the crap out of that motor for years on a Whaler 17' and couldn't break it. Then I got the 250 on my Grady-White and it ran just as well with incredible gas economy.

Suzuki is the "Ducati" of Japan? That explains the new 'Strada!
Old 02-18-2010, 05:48 PM   #40
silentgrayfellow
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Star Ride View Post
Mitsubishi makes way more than that. They are into everything.

Mitsubishi Corporation - Our Business - Search by Products and Services

So is Kawasaki. They make rail cars, ships, powerplants, all kinds of stuff. The full name of the company is Kawasaki Heavy Industries (KHI). Motorcycles are just a sideline for them.

Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd.
silentgrayfellow is offline   Reply With Quote