Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 08-29-2009, 02:09 PM   #31
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
But the majority ARE ex football players. And according to you just because I dont play the game, I could understand the game even better than an ex football player,...right!
That implies that all Ex-Football Players "understand" the game better than everybody else. An assumption that has no basis in the real world. Just like the "Smartest Guys in the Room" at Enron understood all the ins and outs of running a multinational energy conglomerate, merely because they happened to bluff their way into an executive position. Or that Obama (or Bush, or Clinton, for that matter!) understand everything there is to know about leading the most powerful Nation on the planet, just because they managed to smile and nod and wave better than the guy that DIDN'T get Elected.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-29-2009, 04:13 PM   #32
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"But the majority ARE ex football players."

Actually the majority AREN'T ex football players, nor do they know any more than the guy sitting next to them, but you wore me down on this one. Think what you want. I really couldn't care less. Bye.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:57 PM   #33
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
"They wreck more cause they are driving at 100% all the time. Street drivers arent, they are just going to the store for milk?"

Which is exactly why I said at least 30 times that riding on a track and riding on a street take two different skill sets. One is for pushing the speed envelope, and the other is for dealing with potholes, gravel, and terrible drivers, etc.. Rarely do the two skill sets intersect.

Rarely do the two "skill sets" intersect....

Ok there, I typed it Just wanted to see how silly I sounded saying "skill sets"

Do you hear yourself, at all these days? Ok what prey tell do you think happens on a roadrace motorcycle at a race track?

You dont think they have potholes at tracks or cracks, white painted lines, dirt, oil, turtles, mongoose? And trust me theres deffinatly terrible riders out their, and since youve brought up terrible drivers lets talk about trying to avoid someone thats trying to hit you,..."on purpose"? What do you do then? Please tell me oh wise milk getter?

LR if you can survive this type of riding that robs your attention span that much and do it at a 150mph, consistantly, it will pay dividens on the street. Your absolutly crazy to think this doesnt help you on the street, crazy. Anticipating someones next move at over a hundred mph when they are right next to you (closer than a car) with two riders on the outside and three coming up behind you can help you a bundle on the street its the same exact thing. Riding is riding!

Riding is riding brother no matter what your on, or where your at, "skill sets" as you like to call them, always intersect on a motorcyale havent you ever known a flat-tracker to make the transition between that and roadracing thats a great example. Not trying to wear you down at all but your wrong. My opinion...whispering take a trackday, come on do it, just do it, come on do it....
Old 08-29-2009, 09:14 PM   #34
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Yes, yes it has. But that still doesn't mean I can use every bit of power and maneuverability the car has available, ESPECIALLY on the Street.

I believe also that I've become a better than average Street Rider over the years, but still haven't even come close to the limits that a pricepoint bike (Yamaha FZ6) is capable of.

Again, neither has over 99% of everybody out there today. YOU might be an exception to that, MOKE. I don't know - I've never seen you ride, but I'm not gonna "judge" either way. I'm just sayin' that the overwhelming majority of people that believe they "NEED More Power" are deluding themselves.

Who doesn't imagine themselves the equal of guys like Valentino Rossi or Sam Strano? It just ain't gonna happen, though. Not for the majority of us, no matter how many exhausts or Power Commanders they put on their bike. It'll just be louder, and a bit MORE uncontrollable, if they can by dumb-luck manage to get 6-more HP 500rpm before redline.

Iam not saying your using it on the street, Iam just saying all that racing on the track has made you a better driver all around. And that relates to the street. It doesnt matter a this point whether you use it all, everday you enter a race or practice your getting closer to using it all right?

It would be the same with your FZ6. If you were to take say 10 trackdays and used instuctors within that school to help you realize your potential and go faster, you would come closer and closer to using all of the bike. Hell the first time you start to have problems with clearance issues with the pegs will make you realize these are just steps that get you closer and closer to using the full potential of your bike. You at least know what Iam talking about because youve race cars. Even riding dirt bikes can help you on the street. Exhaust or not

Sure most dont need more power, the only time I use most of my bike on the street is waaaay out in the back country roads, that would be the only time- unless shes doing double duty at a trackday. Listen I dont proclaim to be anybody but myself who is an average rider with a little bit of race experience not alot, compairitivly speaking that is. But when someone has no experience and they keeping trying to prove they know the answers without having any experience at all? that just doesnt make sence specially when I believe different. I'v seen it help riders. Its helped me countless time on the street to avoid accidents.

Last edited by MOKE1K : 08-29-2009 at 09:30 PM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:32 PM   #35
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
"But the majority ARE ex football players."

Actually the majority AREN'T ex football players, nor do they know any more than the guy sitting next to them, but you wore me down on this one. Think what you want. I really couldn't care less. Bye.
Dude I don't even watch football and every commentator I see is an Ex football player with the exception of one or two women here and there? What league are you reffering to,... Canadian?
Old 08-30-2009, 05:07 PM   #36
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Creeist, what was the original topic of this thread? Something about a road racer that's been made street-legal I seem to remember...

Like so many MX riders are finding out, to go fast now days doesn't involve a 20 year old CR500, but a new high-zoot four stroke that get's 15-18 hours out of a motor before you have to spend three thousand dollars to maintain, or it grenades and then the real big money starts tabbing up.

Back in the day I inherited my Uncle's 1969 Mach III Kawasaki 500 tripple that was modified to the point of insanity. Every few weeks the center cylinder would fry, and I'd end up spending $50.00 on a piston & hone job for the center slug. Now if you're good with tools, and have an un-limited bank account, that's just fine, I guess...

Where was I...Oh yes, there is noting more frustrating than riding a high-tuned race bike in traffic. You might as well be in a Dodge Dart, with the A/C on, listening to the radio.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:06 PM   #37
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Creeist, what was the original topic of this thread? Something about a road racer that's been made street-legal I seem to remember...

Like so many MX riders are finding out, to go fast now days doesn't involve a 20 year old CR500, but a new high-zoot four stroke that get's 15-18 hours out of a motor before you have to spend three thousand dollars to maintain, or it grenades and then the real big money starts tabbing up.

Back in the day I inherited my Uncle's 1969 Mach III Kawasaki 500 tripple that was modified to the point of insanity. Every few weeks the center cylinder would fry, and I'd end up spending $50.00 on a piston & hone job for the center slug. Now if you're good with tools, and have an un-limited bank account, that's just fine, I guess...

Where was I...Oh yes, there is noting more frustrating than riding a high-tuned race bike in traffic. You might as well be in a Dodge Dart, with the A/C on, listening to the radio.
Back in the 70s a friend loaned me his Yamaha 100 twin. He'd had it ported and put race expansion chambers on it. I used it to ride with my wife down Sunset Blvd from Van Ness to the Cinerama dome to see a re-show of 2001: A Space Odessy.. That was one of the worst bike trips I can recall. That danged thing only had a power band of about 1000 rpm. You had to scream it down the road... took forever to get started from a stop. Couldn't ride it more than 15-20 minutes or it would overheat. Race bikes pretty much suck on the street.

Then there was the ported MachIV.......
Old 08-31-2009, 08:56 AM   #38
pplassm
Founding Member

Actually, the Ilmor sounds pretty interesting to me. I'd love to ride one, but probably wouldn't buy one.

I just bought this instead:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2572/...f052077dc0.jpg

Racebike? i dunno.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3865647055_f052077dc0.jpg (171.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-31-2009, 09:21 AM   #39
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Actually, the Ilmor sounds pretty interesting to me. I'd love to ride one, but probably wouldn't buy one.

Racebike? i dunno.
Picture won't expand. That's a GS1150, right? Sweeeet. I see a red one parked in front of a nearby business in summer. Still a damm nice ride.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:46 AM   #40
pushrod
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post

Racebike? i dunno.

That shore is a purty bike!

Dinky front rotors, though!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote