Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 07-16-2009, 10:14 AM   #1
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Harley lays off 1000.

As profit plummets, Harley to cut 1,000 more jobs - JSOnline

How's that "Union standing firm" thing workin' for ya?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-16-2009, 10:45 AM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
As profit plummets, Harley to cut 1,000 more jobs - JSOnline

How's that "Union standing firm" thing workin' for ya?

So you think if the Union didn't exist, or took cuts then these layoffs wouldn't happen? The company would keep them out of the goodness of their hearts?

There were 300 salaried positions eliminated too. How'd that 'non-union' thing work out for them?
Old 07-16-2009, 10:49 AM   #3
acecycleins
Founding Member

2nd quarter profits are 91% off of last year's 2nd qtr. Sadly, it comes down to HD not reducing manufacturing fast enough. Start looking for $13,500 new Softtails. They'll be all the rage about October.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Management, union, or otherwise, 1300 people are worried about feeding their families and keeping a roof over their heads. I've been unemployed. It sucks.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Well, yes, if the union made some concessions they may very well have avoided some of the cuts. It's happened at non-union companies. Unions are thug organizations where the lazy earn as much as the industrious. I know this from having been in a union.

One thing is sure. Not one Union official lost his job. Think about that one the next time someone pushes that old labor vs management chestnut. Union officials never lose their jobs.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:14 PM   #6
kawinsane
Registered Member

im acquainted with someone who works at the harley plant in york pa. theyve probably cut 1200 people as of last year. good luck with that union
kawinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:32 PM   #7
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Well, yes, if the union made some concessions they may very well have avoided some of the cuts."

Sorry, but having been down that road more than once, I can confirm your statement is false. You will just work for less until they lay you off. Pay cuts are just the first step so the management geniuses can secure their bonuses for the year. After that, they lay off to secure them for the next year. Just look at the fiasco of the Gov giving billions to failing companies only to have them give millions in bonuses to the people that drove it into the ground in the first place. So a Union offical never loses his job? Go check the last time a CEO and his cronies took the same pay cut they asked their employees to take. Good luck.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:44 PM   #8
SmokeU
Registered Member

I toured the Kansas City HD plant a few years ago. It was a study in typical American excess. They could have easily saved some money by building the place with efficiency instead of extravegance in mind.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:54 PM   #9
acecycleins
Founding Member

HD- the motorcycle version of GM. Funny to say it that way, but 1- they are producing WAY too many bikes based on the economy and 2- they have way too many dealers.
Remember the 90's when you walked into a HD shop and saw 12 bikes and tons of accessories and clothes in a 7000sqft shop. Now we have 100k sqft shops and 30 bikes having birthdays. HD blew their business model about 7 yrs ago when they started demanding that the "old school" dealers start building mega shops. Bet those guys at Tifton HD are glad they put off the new building now.
Expect production numbers to decrease to the low 200k mark by the end of next year. One thing is for sure- if you reduce the production the quality control will be better. They were better off with the waiting list. Business Karma: Building too many things people can't buy.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:56 PM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
"Well, yes, if the union made some concessions they may very well have avoided some of the cuts."

Sorry, but having been down that road more than once, I can confirm your statement is false. You will just work for less until they lay you off. Pay cuts are just the first step so the management geniuses can secure their bonuses for the year. After that, they lay off to secure them for the next year. Just look at the fiasco of the Gov giving billions to failing companies only to have them give millions in bonuses to the people that drove it into the ground in the first place. So a Union offical never loses his job? Go check the last time a CEO and his cronies took the same pay cut they asked their employees to take. Good luck.
Funny, I took a temporary pay cut at a printing firm I worked at and kept my job and went back to the higher rate after 6 months. The boss gave up his apartment and lived in the office. But, then it wasn't a union company and there wasn't a huge payroll for the union guys to meet before a single worker got paid.

Generally CEOs work for their money. Union officials do not. As a class they are simply thieves. This is why they get along with the govt so well. Identical interests. Unions survive by creating and worsening problems, not solving them. Hey! That's just like the govt too. And whether you believe it or not many CEOs have had their pay and bonuses cut. But you won't hear that from our marxist press because their job is to aid Obama create a marxist state.

Oh yeah, that union thing is working out really good for the airlines, steel, mining, oil and auto industries too. The unions are as responsible for the destruction of GM and Chrysler as management is. They all knew the train wreck was coming and did nothing. Sort of like our govt and the looming social security crisis. The only unions that are expanding are govt unions where the money can just be forcibly raped from the taxpayers so that your Chicago City somnabulist employees can retire at age 50 with 80% pensions. That's what union supporters are protecting. Govt employees. LOL!

On a more entertaining note, did you see that the House Democrats voted down the bill that would require them to join the socialized medicine program that they want to force on us? ROTFL!