Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-25-2002, 10:14 AM   #1
pushrod
Founding Member

Default Re: Break the Mold

Hoo-yah, Minime!

My only problem with riding to work is that works sux so much more when you've just come in off a bike. The bright spot, of course, is that you look forward to getting off at the end of the day, so you can ride! Which takes forever, which sorta sux.

Oh well. To paraphrase, " A bad bike commute is better than a good ride in a cage".

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-25-2002, 10:16 AM   #2
Bat_Matt
Founding Member

Looks like JohnnyB is inspiring all kinds of thoughtful commentary around here. Love the little tidbits like this. Glad to hear you were able to break the mold and keep up the great work.

Matt
Bat_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 10:25 AM   #3
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Minime,

Boy do I know what you're talking about. For about a year, I was commuting 126 miles a day (round trip), racked up HUGE miles on my bike, and I remember actually going out to my bike one Saturday morning, looking at it and thinking "I don't feel like going for a ride." The realization of that blew me away.

I got lucky though - a couple of weeks later, I was down at the shop, picking my bike up from yet another valve adjustment, when I met a guy who was picking up his Hayabusa. I noticed that the 'Busa looked a helluva lot better in black than the one's I'd seen previously, and told him so. We struck up a conversation for about 1/2 an hour, then we went for a ride around Lake Berryessa. Man was that a hoot. I was throwin' my ponderous plastic pig into the corners, hangin' with this 'busa, and having a blast. What a revelation! I also got to see EXACTLY how much slower my CBR is than a 'busa on that day, when we hit a straight that was about a mile long... downshifted to third, whacked the throttle open, look down to watch the tack needle, upshift just past peak power, look back up... to see a DOT of a 'Busa taillight in the distance. *whew*

Oddly enough, that was fun too... yeah I got smoked, but it was fun watching the fastest bike on the planet make mincemeat of my CBR.

Sorry for the long post.
Old 03-25-2002, 10:32 AM   #4
bluedot
Founding Member

I agree .... ride to work.

I was fortunate enough to have a beautiful reverse commute with lots of road and no traffic.

The problem was that "loosing pent-up frustration" scenario lead to occasional hooliganisms, which in turn led to often hooliganisms, which eventually lead to getting caught.

So now I'm back in the car, watching the occasional rider (with more self control than myself) enjoying the route to work I once did.

I decided what I need is an off-road route to work .. hehe

bluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 10:48 AM   #5
KPaulCook
Banned

For those of in Seattle, bikes used to be seen only in the spring, summer, fall or when ever it didn't rain which is not often. In last few years Seattle has grown and unfornuately the tree huggers and like have blocked any attempts for to build new roads or expand existing roads. The HOV, car pool lanes, are now the reason why you see more motorcycles during bad weather. I try to commute every day by bike, but I also take a ride on Sunday on one of the many great twisty mountain roads around Seattle. I agree that the ride to work can get boring sometimes but I still think a bad on my bike is better than any good day in my car. My attitude is that the commute keeps me sharp for my Sunday drive and vice versa. I agree with Minime I arrive at work with a better mind set and it also allows me to detox or chill out when I come back home.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 10:50 AM   #6
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default Thanks.

You've made my day just writing that. hahaha!!! mincemeat. haha!
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 10:53 AM   #7
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Looks like whatever infects Mr. Burns, is contagious. MO should rent him out to other publications (for a hefty fee) to see if he can inspire this sort of writing everywhere.

Seriously... Thanks Brent, this was a nice little piece.
Old 03-25-2002, 10:53 AM   #8
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default Thanks Minime

This one out of the ordinary story that broke the mold just made my day. The writing and the posts are just great quality.

Thanks
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 10:54 AM   #9
jmeyn
Founding Member

Well done, mini! Look out, Peter Egan!

You can define Take a Ride To Work as a search for legal ways to get there more quickly, safely and/or pleasantly. If you're single, you can Take a Long Ride Home. It's win-win-win.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 11:00 AM   #10
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: Thanks.

Yeah, but your gas mileage is terrible.

Sob!
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote