Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 10-13-2008, 10:44 PM   #1
HisServant77
Registered Member

Default Ninja 250r a good size?

Hi,

I hope I'm posting this in the right place!

I have been searching but haven't found much help anywhere. I am about 6'1" and somewhere around 180-190 lbs. I've absolutely no experience with bikes, but am wanting to get one sometime soon. After searching around, I decided that the 2008 Ninja 250r is the style I'm wanting, and even has been listed as being great for beginners! The reviews and specs show it seems to be everything that I'm looking at getting as a first bike, and for what I'd use it for.

The only problem I can think of though, is my size! I've seen videos and reviews of larger people who have managed the bike decently, but I am wondering if I can get a straight answer here.

Would I be fine with this bike? I don't mind giving up absolute comfort and such, for this bike. I just wouldn't want to get the bike when my size would be too much for it. I suppose the 500r would be the next one but its looks, cost, and how well it is for beginners turns it away from me.

I'd really appreciate any help and answers! Thank you so much, in advance!
HisServant77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-14-2008, 01:16 AM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

If you're wanting a NEW 250 - you should know the 500 is only larger in length and displacement - very little difference in the "ergo" department, other than a longer reach to the bars.

You will probably be fine on tjhe Ninja 250, if you can find one.

However, I'd go for a "used" bike first - plastic-covered sportbikes, no matter the displacement - seem to be dropped with alarming regularity by inexperienced riders. And sometimes the experienced as well..............

That said, The Wife dropped her Ninja 500 FIVE TIMES and only broke a turn-signal on the second-to last, and bent the rear brake-pedal twice. Other than that, only minor scuffs to the bar-ends and pegs was the sum-total of damage. I did not expect to be so lucky, and neither should YOU.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:09 AM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
You will probably be fine on tjhe Ninja 250, if you can find one.
HisServant, he's right, the Ninja 250 is selling like hotcakes; the gas crunch and the re-design has it sold out in many areas. If you don't mind waiting for a new one (put a deposit down at the dealer) you'll be rewarded with an all-new design that is almost impossible to tell from the bigger sportbikes.

Be sure to check out the "New Rider Read This First" thread. It has the accumulated wisdom of the ages. Or is that "aged" motorcyclists?

Last edited by Kenneth_Moore : 10-14-2008 at 05:13 AM.
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:04 AM   #4
HisServant77
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies! So I'd be safe to get a 250r, that's good.

They are hard to come by, now though? Funds right now for me are a bit tight, even for this very affordable bike, so I was going to have to wait until later this year possibly. Will it really be difficult to find one?
Also being VERY new to all this, I was looking into everything, and read things that turned away from buying used due to unseen problems with the bike and other things. I guess I should really consider getting it used? . . .

Thanks, I'll also check out the New Riders thread I couldn't figure out the forum navigation at first yesterday, but I get it now, thanks!
Old 10-14-2008, 10:08 AM   #5
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisServant77 View Post
Thanks for the replies! So I'd be safe to get a 250r, that's good.

They are hard to come by, now though? Funds right now for me are a bit tight, even for this very affordable bike, so I was going to have to wait until later this year possibly. Will it really be difficult to find one?
Also being VERY new to all this, I was looking into everything, and read things that turned away from buying used due to unseen problems with the bike and other things. I guess I should really consider getting it used? . . .

Thanks, I'll also check out the New Riders thread I couldn't figure out the forum navigation at first yesterday, but I get it now, thanks!

You're gonna drop it. More than once. Buy a used 7 or 8 yo model for about $1800. You'll be fine from there.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:36 AM   #6
HisServant77
Registered Member

Well buying used seems to be the way to go, but it doesn't seem easy. Everyone I find selling is wanting it for equal or more than buying new! Crazy.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:11 AM   #7
12er
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisServant77 View Post
Well buying used seems to be the way to go, but it doesn't seem easy. Everyone I find selling is wanting it for equal or more than buying new! Crazy.
The 250's are good at going for near retail, hence buy used and sell it when your ready to upgrade at near no loss. At least used your not paying sales tax and doc, prep, license etc.

Last edited by 12er : 10-15-2008 at 09:55 AM.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:30 PM   #8
HisServant77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
The 250's are good at going for near retail, hence buy used and sell it when your ready to upgrade at near no loss. At least used your not paying sales tax and doc, prep, license etc.
Thinking of it that way actually does make it so much better to think about
Old 10-17-2008, 07:09 PM   #9
MadScientistMatt
Founding Member

I'm just a little taller than you and the older Ninja 250 fits me very well, believe it or not. The newer design is a little more cramped but should be OK. I've ridden a Ninja 250 around the block before and was very impressed with how easy it was to ride. My own bike is a Suzuki GS500F which I also would not hesitate to recommend to a tall beginner.
MadScientistMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:20 PM   #10
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Default Lone dissenting vote...

I will be the lone dissenting vote. I would recommend the Ninja 500. I am 6'5" and have been on both the 250 and 500, and the 500 fit so much better (not that the 250 was bad). If you were thinking about getting a new 250, then I would suggest a couple year old 500. If you have any measure of self-control, the 500 will carry you alot further through the learning process.