Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 10-02-2008, 09:18 AM   #1
James81
Registered Member

Default Bike security?

Hey guys, first time poster here. Had a quick question about bike security. I'm lookin at buying my first nice bike (GSX-R6), and the sales guy is trying to sell me on a LoJack installation for a cool $900. I live in Chicago, in a relatively low crime (by Chicago standards) area, but I would be street parking about half the time (the other half would be in a garage).

Is this really neccessary. Does bike theft happen that often, and is LoJack the best way to prevent it, or is there a more simple (read less expensive) way to secure my bike? Also, any general advice as to bike security would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
James81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2008, 09:26 AM   #2
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

I wouldn't. MSRP for the LoJack is $500-600 plus installation, plus a yearly maintenance fee. Just get really good insurance.

But, that is the least of your problems. A GSX-R600 is not a good first bike at all. I would take the $900 the dealer is trying to take from you and put it into gear and training (or a dirt cheap beater bike) so you live to see your first oil change.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:27 AM   #3
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Does bike theft happen that often..""

In Chicago? Are you kidding? That thing will be gone in one summer if you park it in the same spot. LoJack might work, but a garage would be much better.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:32 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Why on earth would you buy a GSXR600 in Chicago? Would you try to fly an F-16 if you'd never flown before. What makes you think you have the competence to ride a race replica?

And yes, 600 Sportbikes are #1 in theft. Better to get a SuzukiSV650. You might live longer and it'll go just as fast at the places you'll be riding.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:58 AM   #5
James81
Registered Member

Hey, thanks for the input guys. Sounds like I'll be garaging this alot closer to 100% of the time and save the $900

Yeah, I've been pretty torn on the GSX. I honestly don't care about performance, I care about the looks. I was actually leaning toward the SV650, (I love the naked look and there are a ton of rockets running around) but I love the power selection mode that the GSX offers. Anyone have any experience with this?
James81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:09 PM   #6
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by James81 View Post
Hey, thanks for the input guys. Sounds like I'll be garaging this alot closer to 100% of the time and save the $900

Yeah, I've been pretty torn on the GSX. I honestly don't care about performance, I care about the looks. I was actually leaning toward the SV650, (I love the naked look and there are a ton of rockets running around) but I love the power selection mode that the GSX offers. Anyone have any experience with this?
The power selection mode will not help someone with very little riding experience.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:16 PM   #7
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Garaging is best plus a Kryptonite chain and lock for when you can't. I'll also add one more opinion to the others and agree the GSXR is an incredibly poor choice for a first bike, really. The SV 650 will go faster than you'll want to go, it has a more controlable riding position and has a much more realistic power delivery and power band for street riding.

With the SV you can learn to ride and enjoy yourself, with the GSXR you'll be fighting the bike the whole way, you really need to think this through, don't let some salesman talk you into anything. It's your money, your decision and your bike.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote