Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 10-02-2008, 02:28 PM   #11
Xantithor
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies to this. Definitely came to the right place for expert advice. By the way I loved the gunbus link. I work with a guy that drives a BossHoss 502. Doesn't have the Nitros, but now I have a pic of the gunbus on his work locker.

Wouldn't surprise me if he asked where the nearest dealer is for that.
Xantithor is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2008, 02:31 PM   #12
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
THIS is the only REAL MAN'S motorcycle in the entire world. All other bikes are owned by panty-waisted poossies with small units! Hayabusa? Girl's bike! M109? Girl's bike! Duck1198? Girl's bike! Heritage Special? Girl's bike! boss Hoss? Girl's bike!
Nah, that thing's just an old roller-skate nailed to a 2x4 with an orange-crate tacked to it............
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:39 PM   #13
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
THIS is the only REAL MAN'S motorcycle in the entire world.
What world are you in? That GUNBUS POS ain't even a hardtail. Shocks are for pussies.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:32 PM   #14
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
What world are you in? That GUNBUS POS ain't even a hardtail. Shocks are for pussies.
They have a strut kit if you want one. Wait til you see the Merlin engined variant.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:04 AM   #15
Xantithor
Registered Member

So Happy I’m able to get onto the internet being deployed overseas. It allows me more time to read your guys/gals inputs on Motorcycles for the new rider. I wanted to post some more questions in regards to the discussion of the Monster 696. I managed to get over to a show that had the 696 on display. Here’s where this story gets interesting. After talking to a Duc rep he took me off to the side, and bluntly said this bike is not for you.

Obviously I was a bit stunned, but more so curious as to the reasons why. His justifications were that the Duc even though low priced, but the unknown costs will eat into my wallet. Premium Gas (when it was $4 a gallon), and maintenance/tune-ups at a dealership.

Now the bike I was pointed out to be more of something I should look into was the Yamaha Raider. This one being belt driven, uses regular gas, and has less maintenance than the Duc. I have to admit I like the styling of this one. I’ve been more so a cruiser/standard motorcycle fan than any other bike. No disrespect to any other bikes, but they just look alien-ish to me. It could be the best bike in the known world, but if I can’t stand how it looks I’m not interested.

Granted I have several people in my squadron that ride, but it comes with a bias opinion as to why their choice of bike is better than others. Oh you should get a Harley Bobcat, Oh you should get a Honda Intruder, etc etc.

I’ve read over another section in regards to first time bike riders about maneuverability.
It’s better to have a bike that in a pinch you can get the F out of the way of what’s in front of you. Whether it being a driver not paying attention to the rider, or some sort of obstruction in the road.

I fully intend on taking the MSF course. Hell I’ll take it multiple times if need be.
Would it be in my best interest to stay away from the Yamaha Raider, and stay with the Duc being its listed a good learning bike? Is there another cruiser/standard bike that I should look at, or am I just juggling hand grenades underwater with my choice of bike style?
Old 02-07-2009, 07:30 AM   #16
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Would it be in my best interest to stay away from the Yamaha Raider,.."

Yes, for numerous reasons.

"...and stay with the Duc being its listed a good learning bike? "

Yes, for even more reasons.

The Duc is cool. Get the bike you like and the hell with anyone that doesn't like it.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:29 AM   #17
seruzawa
The Toad

I don't know. I still have a tough time calling a 70hp bike a "learners bike".

I've ridden my friend's 696. I doubt that anyone ever got passed by a volvo on one.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:30 AM   #18
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantithor View Post
Would it be in my best interest to stay away from the Yamaha Raider, and stay with the Duc being its listed a good learning bike? Is there another cruiser/standard bike that I should look at, or am I just juggling hand grenades underwater with my choice of bike style?
If you are going to go with a cruiser, don't limit yourself to just looking at the Raider. Look around and see what you like. For the most part cruisers are less about performance and more about comfort and style. So look at a bunch and sit on all of them. See what fits you the best. But keep in mind, the weight of a large cruiser (and a raider is large) are quite heavy and may not be the easiest thing to learn on.

If you decide to move away from the Ducs due to maintenance and whatnot, you might want to look at Triumph. They have cruisers and standards that may fit your need. Their retro line of standards (Bonneville, Thruxton, and Scrambler) are different but still in sort of the same vein as the monster, and their cruiser line (the America and the Speedmaster) are different and lighter than most other cruisers.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:32 AM   #19
Xantithor
Registered Member

Quote:
I don't know. I still have a tough time calling a 70hp bike a "learners bike".

I've ridden my friend's 696. I doubt that anyone ever got passed by a volvo on one.
That was a general consensus of the riders in my squadron. Especially after finding a person who rides a Duc. Its not something that I should get into.

Quote:
If you are going to go with a cruiser, don't limit yourself to just looking at the Raider. Look around and see what you like. For the most part cruisers are less about performance and more about comfort and style. So look at a bunch and sit on all of them. See what fits you the best.
Another very good point to make. Making it more known to others that I am serious, and I really want to learn is bringing other riders into the fold. I'm going to look into those other bikes that were mentioned, and do some research into other bikes people here have mentioned as well.

Harley Dyna Super Glide being one.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:36 AM   #20
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantithor View Post
That was a general consensus of the riders in my squadron. Especially after finding a person who rides a Duc. Its not something that I should get into.

Another very good point to make. Making it more known to others that I am serious, and I really want to learn is bringing other riders into the fold. I'm going to look into those other bikes that were mentioned, and do some research into other bikes people here have mentioned as well.

Harley Dyna Super Glide being one.
Regardless, you need to learn on something light and cheap. Read the sticky threads in the new rider's forum.