Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 08-29-2008, 09:42 PM   #1
redsavina
Registered Member

Default Experience to move up?

I appreciate all of the responses I have received in the past from these forums. They have definately made me a better rider.

I did my MSF class in March, and picked up a 2006 Suzuki M50. Since then, I have put about 4500 miles on it, and I ride about 4x per week. I just got a new job 6 weeks ago thats 80 miles each way (yeah, pretty crazy commute) and I am riding my bike to work 2x per week now, plus for fun on the weekends.

I have been on my buddies 2002 YZR 600, and although I was a little nervous cause its a sport bike, I found it to be very comfortable. By the time I rode his, I felt as though my M50 was lacking in acceleration (plus, im 6'2" and 295lbs). I found the speed and handling on my friends 600 to be more of what I wished my bike could do. After riding his a few times, both on the streets and the freeway, I felt extreemly confident that I could ride that much bike.

I have found that my M50 is a bit uncomfortable to commute to work for me. I ride 1/2 the distance on a major freeway, then the other 1/2 the distance on single lane country roads, doing about 75mph the entire way. My bike is stock, so no windshield, and no throttle lock. I am pretty tired when I finish my ride, even after doing it for 6 weeks now.

I am thinking about moving up into a sport touring bike. This would better meet my commuting needs, as well as hopefully provide more power and response than I currently experience.

I have never been on a sport touring bike, and I see that the motor sizes are like 1300 on many of them. Are these bikes going to respond more like a 600 sport bike like my friend has, or are these going to be much more powerful? I would really like something that I could tune for a custom fit (shocks, seat, etc) and hang on to for a few years. Although my M50 is a blast to ride around town and stuff, it was really a learning bike for me.

My research tells me that the most dangerous times during a riders development is the first 6 months, and then again at 2 years. Is it pretty appropriate for me to be thinking about getting on a sport touring bike, or would I be getting ahead of myself? How have you guys made decisions about moving up?

Last edited by redsavina : 08-29-2008 at 09:45 PM.
redsavina is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-29-2008, 10:19 PM   #2
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

IMHO the main issue you'd have moving up to a sport-touring bike will be the weight, not so much the overall power. The ST bikes are typically tuned for more torque, and they have a less peaky engine as a result.

The Honda ST1100 or 1300, Yamaha FJR, and Kawasaki Concours are all disgustingly heavy machines IMHO, with weights well over 600 pounds, and close to 700. A lot of people like these bikes, but I just question whether they are right for you at this moment. You can get smaller ST bikes (BMW F800 for one) that may suit you better.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:35 PM   #3
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Spend Ten Bucks on a "Cramp Buster" throttle-control in the meanwhile. That'll help a bit, easy to install, easy to use - helps stave off "arm pump" in your right hand.

Ask around at your local Dealerships; I've yet to see a BMW Dealer that doesn't carry them. It's also an excuse to ogle all the different bikes, and maybe make a few new friends.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:19 PM   #4
12er
Founding Member

Here's what I would suggest;

BMW
800 st
1150 R with a windshield
GS 800

Suzuki
Vstrom 650
SV650

Kaw
zzr600
ninja 650
Versys 650

Ducati
Monster
Multistrada

Honda
VFR
F4i with soft bags and a double bubble and heli bars

Yamaha
FZ6
YZF600r with soft bags and a double bubble and heli bars

Triumph
Tiger though may be a bit much for now, wish the 675 version would come out
1050sprint, same engine as the tiger though...

Buell
Ulysses

I'd back up Sachi on the heavyweights. I have a K1200RS and while I love it, I would like something lighter to tool around on and commute with. Not recommended for low experience due to being top heavy compared to your m50 and a hell of a lot more powerful. Though they are much more torquey and dont have the top end rush of a 600, they just move anywhere on the tach. Spend a day hitting all the shops trying everything on.

Last edited by 12er : 08-30-2008 at 12:09 AM.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:20 AM   #5
MOKE1K
Registered Member

There are many ways to look at this. First obviously a sport bike will have better acceleration and better handeling characteristics.
Thats a given. Dont let that fool you. I think personaly a good idea would be to get more seat time on your M50. Learn how to extract its true performance take your time and become a better rider.By that time you'll be even more educated in what you'll want.

In the 6 months youve been riding, I dont think you can gain a true understanding of how much power your M50 actually has. I think most will agree you get better with seat time. All the bikes everyone has mentioned are great alternatives. But seriously you sound like one of my younger customers that buys a 600ss then comes back in 6months thinking a more powerful bike is what they need. But when you are ready, sell it on your own, outright so you get the most out of it. Good luck.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:33 PM   #6
12er
Founding Member

M50 links and tutorials - Motorcycle-Journal Forums Little m50 info
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 06:14 PM   #7
pushrod
Founding Member

Red,

+1 on the wait 'til you have decided you've 'outgrown' the M50.

You are one big lunch away from 300 lbs. And you're over six feet tall. Bear in mind that most bikes are built for a male that is 5' 10", and 185lbs. That means the seat-to-bar and seat-to-footpeg distances and the suspension is set up for someone a lot smaller and lighter than you.

Before you drop a chunk o' change on another bike, try upgrading the suspension on your bike. Add a throttle rocker, and maybe a small windshield. The improved suspension will make a new bike out of the M50, and the other things will improve the rideability.

Meantime, you can be shopping around for Bike #2.

My vote (no fair looking at my avatar) would be the new Triumph Tiger. However, the V-strom is a heck of a bike, and the GS1200 and the Adventurer are certainly no slouches. Note they are all 'big' bikes.

Good luck, and keep that head on a swivel!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 06:45 PM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

One of them Bandits would probably fit you. You can use them for just about any motorcycle purpose you can name except real off-road riding. Smooth powerband, comfortable seating, good brakes, what's not to like. Leave those sportbikes whose suspensions can beat you to death on public roads for the track.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:59 PM   #9
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
The Honda ST1100 or 1300, Yamaha FJR, and Kawasaki Concours are all disgustingly heavy machines IMHO, with weights well over 600 pounds, and close to 700.
Oh please, disgustingly heavy??? Somebody else's "HO" might be that an overdone Honda 599 with so many gizmos patched into it's wiring harness that you have to have yet another gizmo just to figure out which damn gizmo you can use at any given moment is pretty disgusting. Not me personally, but someone...

Likewise, I've seen some fat chicks who can really dance. One of the best balanced, easiest to ride bikes I ever rode was a 2002 Goldwing. I don't want one, but I'm not going to call them disgusting just because they're heavy. There's more to it than that. When I'm whipping down the Interstate at 80+ with semis, cross-winds, a passenger, etc., I like some weight when it's engineered into the bike correctly.

Last edited by Kenneth_Moore : 08-31-2008 at 02:11 PM.
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:14 PM   #10
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Well, nyah to you too!

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote