Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 08-28-2008, 01:10 PM   #1
pgirl
Registered Member

Default Need Help!

HI, I need help on finding a bike that will fit my height..I'm a female that is 5'3 and I sat on just about every 600cc sports bike and im still too short. My legs cant touch ground. I love the sports bike rather than the cruiser. I was told from a dealer I can buy a 2008 sv650/abs and have it dropped down to 4 inches. I was also told from friends i will lose the riding quality on it and its not safe.I know there are 250 ninja's out there but I dont want a beginner bike as i already had one of those few yrs ago..so would the dropping 4 inches a good idea or is there a sports bike that is a 600 or 500 that i can fit on? your help would be greatly appreciated..Thanks!
pgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-28-2008, 01:23 PM   #2
MOKE1K
Registered Member

We lower bikes at our dealership all the time, but to stay safe we will only lower a maximum of 3". And yes you will lose alot of turning radius. Now even though you may not be looking to win the world Motogp championship it does take away from your radius as I have mentioned. In the right situation that could be hazardous.
Just my two cents.Try the gs500 / ex500. Good bikes.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:20 PM   #3
12er
Founding Member

Also look for one with a thicker seat, the YZF600R for instance. You should be able to take the seat to a local seat wizard and have them cut some of the foam out to drop it down without a drastic suspension change. That or a racing tail section with just the foam rubber strip, long miles may hurt though. Buy biker shorts to wear under your riding gear.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:05 PM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

A friend of mine just bought his wife, who is 5', tall a Ninja 500. She can get her feet on the ground.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:13 PM   #5
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
Also look for one with a thicker seat, the YZF600R for instance. You should be able to take the seat to a local seat wizard and have them cut some of the foam out to drop it down without a drastic suspension change. That or a racing tail section with just the foam rubber strip, long miles may hurt though. Buy biker shorts to wear under your riding gear.

Funny you mention that about shaving the seats. In the early 90'z in Honolulu as a tech(alot of Japanese) that was the only way we had to fit the customer. The other way we never did, but saw alot of service customers that came into the shop like this... Remove locking nut on rear shock and run adjusting nut out to near max travel,...Dhhooo?

This makes for a great pogo stick, and a dangerous ride.
Wish I woulda though of the lowering link dohicky first:[

Last edited by MOKE1K : 08-29-2008 at 06:26 AM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:38 AM   #6
MMO
Registered Member

You should check out 125cc Hyosung GT125 Motorcycle available at Marshys Motorcycles.
MMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:04 PM   #7
ninja6
Registered Member

If anyone is thinking of buying a Hyosung, just send me your money and I'll flush it down the toilet for you.
ninja6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:49 PM   #8
acecycleins
Founding Member

PGirl- Welcome to MO. Inside you will find old, grizzled, hard-nosed, very experienced riders. Most are very helpful. You will notice an edge of sarcasm in the air. Don't worry, Sachi will keep them in check.
Would I lower a bike by 4 inches. not just NO, but H&LL NO! You will compromise handling. Isn't that the reason you selected the sportbike? I would suggest looking at a shoe with a 2inch platform, first. Honestly, The SV is a great choice and I would (as 12er suggest) check seating options. You can easily hack 1 1/2 inches to 2 inches out of the foam in the thigh area or bucket. I'd call Works shocks and ask a rep if they make a lower shock for the SV. Expect about an inch. So, there are two plus of your inches right there. I would not lower the front suspension- but rather raise the legs in the triple trees to keep the bike level. I would ask your dealer if they have a relationship with a Racetech technician or call Traxxion Dynamics in Woodstock GA and ask them for advise. I believe that if you lose 2 inches between the seat and the supension changes you'll be right where you need to be.

Last edited by acecycleins : 12-11-2008 at 10:05 AM.
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:08 AM   #9
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMO View Post
You should check out 125cc Hyosung GT125 Motorcycle available at Marshys Motorcycles.
Market your company elsewhere -.-
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:11 AM   #10
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja6 View Post
If anyone is thinking of buying a Hyosung, just send me your money and I'll flush it down the toilet for you.
So ok, I'll bite. What do you ACTUALLY know about them. Friend of mine has one and loves it, MO did a review of a couple of Hyosungs and they seem like fine bikes. Other than the fact that they aren't one of the big 4, What can you tell me about them?
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote