Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 08-22-2008, 10:53 AM   #1
MichaelPadway
Registered Member

Default Riding in the Rain and Dark

The worst riding conditions make the best riders.

Recently I got caught in the rain at the end of a long day. I rode from California to Spearfish, South Dakota, and arrived as the shadows were growing long.

I could see thunderstorms ahead, and sweated out my gas situation until I finally had a chance to fill up. At the gas station, I heard that not only was there heavy rain, but hail as well.

Newly confident with a full tank, I headed into the storms. First the bugs were washed from the bike, then I got soaked, then that clammy feeling of wet, cold leather.

Soon I was concentrating on making time on the windy roads of Spearfish Canyon, with some mud thrown in where the road was being worked on. I don't like riding when it is dark, and the rain made it worse. However, I have to admit that I felt really good about the ride almost the second I finished that part of the trip. While I would never choose to ride in these conditions, it was the kind of thing that can't help but make you a better rider.

From now on, when you find yourself weather challenged, go for it with gusto. Wet conditions force you to be smooth.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-22-2008, 11:11 AM   #2
12er
Founding Member

Key word "Smooth." Easy gas, easy brakes, easy turn. Keep your distance front and rear. But if your lid keeps fogging or the rain is running down the inside of your shield, sometimes you just have to call it.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
Buzglyd
Founding Member

And if you crash in that rain storm, contact attorney Michael Padway!

We'll sue God for ruining your trip. Our cut is only 90% plus expenses.

Spam fixed.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:48 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

I have ridden in sodden dark conditions many times. However, like a tour in Nam, I don't seek them out.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:08 PM   #5
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I rode in a snowstorm once for about 60 miles on the interstate. I don't think it made me a better rider, but it did scare the shyt out of me. AVOID SNOW!
Old 08-22-2008, 12:35 PM   #6
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

You mean like Wednesday when I spent 3 1/2 hours in an unseasonable monsoon riding up to seattle, then meeting my GF at the Northlake tavern for some pizza and beer, then back home in rush hour to the south end?...

On a positive note, Harley ABS works really well, they've got it dialed in good. Anyway, you're right. riding in crappy weather does tend to increase your skills and if you gear up for it it's no big deal. Plus you get to look down your nose at all the sidewalk commandos cowering from the rain in their Harley stickered cages LOL

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:16 PM   #7
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelPadway View Post

Soon I was concentrating on making time on the windy roads of Spearfish Canyon, with some mud thrown in where the road was being worked on. I don't like riding when it is dark, and the rain made it worse. However, I have to admit that I felt really good about the ride almost the second I finished that part of the trip. .
Michael Padway strode confidently into the bar, his leathers glistening in the Budwieser neon light glowing from behind the bar. There was a tinkling sound at each step of his black work boots as the conchos on his arm chaps found each other in the folds of leather. "Redbull and Vodka" barked Michael as the bartender's gaze met his. The bartender knew he was indeed dealing with a confident man, and hurried to fill the order as quickly as possible. Michael surveyed the bar, a look of scorn, no pity, for the trailer-dragging queens who hadn't challenged Spearfish Canyon that day. He hocked up an enormous loogie, and blew it out in a perfect rainbow arc at the feet of the nearest loser. "You're pretty dry for a man with a bar and shield tattoo on his wrist. What's the matter, ya scared?"

Tune in next year for the exciting conclusion of: "Michael Padway, The Man, The Rider, The Personal Loss and Injury Lawsuit Attorney."
Old 08-22-2008, 02:12 PM   #8
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

"Plus you get to look down your nose at all the sidewalk commandos cowering from the rain in their Harley stickered cages LOL" S2

This alone is enough to make sure I try to ride every day until the ice comes. Only here the stickers are on big pickup trucks. Did I mention "big"? HD is the most popular 4 wheeled vehicle 2 wheel sticker. Not that you see any others out in the "poo", but at least they aren't wearing stickers on their cages.

Last edited by sfcdjevans : 08-22-2008 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Credit where credit is due
sfcdjevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:36 PM   #9
pushrod
Founding Member

+1!

I rode on a four-lane for a couple hours a while back, and the temperature dropped to below 60!

I was Miguel-Freakin'-Duhamel after that ride, lemme tell ya!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:38 PM   #10
pushrod
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
You mean like Wednesday when I spent 3 1/2 hours in an unseasonable monsoon riding up to seattle,
Is there such a thing as 'an unseasonable monsoon' in the Seattle area?

I thought the Governor declares a State of Emergency every time it fails to rain two days in a row...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote