Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 08-18-2008, 07:22 AM   #1
wpk1985
Registered Member

Default Im 6'9 and want a street bike, any suggestions?

Im 6'8 3/4, 245lbs(lean muscle), with a 40' inseam. I plan to get a xr650 to get my riding experience up, but I want to buy both my dual and my stretbike at the same time so I Can catch these end of the summer sales. What is a good streetbike(sport) for someone my size. I have been looking at katana's, vfr's, multistrada and the gsx 650.
wpk1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-18-2008, 07:41 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Probably a big "DP" like a Tiger, BMW GS or a V-Strom. The 1250 Bandit or an FZ1 might do it too. Sportbikes are definitely out.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:44 AM   #3
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpk1985 View Post
Im 6'8 3/4, 245lbs(lean muscle), with a 40' inseam. I plan to get a xr650 to get my riding experience up, but I want to buy both my dual and my stretbike at the same time so I Can catch these end of the summer sales. What is a good streetbike(sport) for someone my size. I have been looking at katana's, vfr's, multistrada and the gsx 650.
Good god, I don't know what you are going to fit on. Sportbikes are usually designed for guys around 5'10", but of course work for people taller than that. But 6'9" is a whole lot to cram onto a sportbike.

The Multistrada and GSX650 should be more forgiving as the ergos are more upright which requires a lot less folding of the appendages.

Once you become a lot more experienced riding you might want to sit on some of the bigger sport touring bikes like the Yamaha FJR, Kawasaki Concourse14, or the Honda ST1300.

...or you could just buy a Honda Civic and remove two of the tires.

Please tell me you are enjoying the benefits of a large 8 figure contract in some sort of professional sport.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:14 AM   #4
acecycleins
Founding Member

Depends on the money you want to spend. If you're thrifty, Id'd say a new KLR650. They look good, have great ergos and can go for miles. Just about any BMW GS model. Triumph's last generation Tiger would work great. If you have respect for the power, the first generation of Yamaha FZ1 would work. The old school models would include, but not be limited to (my attempt at lawyer humor): Yamaha FJ1200 (89-93), Honda CBR1000F (90-93), Any Suzuki Bandit 1200. Outside of that you're in cruiser or tourbike mode. As for the Multi- it's got a real dirtbike stance. With your frame that may be a little much to take for more than 100 miles at a time.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:23 AM   #5
wpk1985
Registered Member

Here's and article I would like you guys to look at, cause dude is sround the same height as me Opinions from a TALL beginning rider and new member [Archive] - Beginner and Beyond Forums
Old 08-18-2008, 11:23 AM   #6
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I'd try a V strom, they should have enough leg room for you.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:07 PM   #7
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Call Shaq and have him sell you that custom chopper JJ made him.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:52 PM   #8
12er
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Depends on the money you want to spend. If you're thrifty, Id'd say a new KLR650. They look good, have great ergos and can go for miles. Just about any BMW GS model. Triumph's last generation Tiger would work great. If you have respect for the power, the first generation of Yamaha FZ1 would work. The old school models would include, but not be limited to (my attempt at lawyer humor): Yamaha FJ1200 (89-93), Honda CBR1000F (90-93), Any Suzuki Bandit 1200. Outside of that you're in cruiser or tourbike mode. As for the Multi- it's got a real dirtbike stance. With your frame that may be a little much to take for more than 100 miles at a time.
With ya on all but the older FZ1. I'm 6'6 and the knee notches on the tank of the first gen fz1 are about 2 inches below where they need to be for me and I only run a 36" inseam. Carry on.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:39 PM   #9
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

You may be one of the few people on the planet who can actually ride a typical chopper without looking like someone who's suffering from acute apendicitis. You might fit on a VStrom, and with the right tires the 1000 is sporty enough for anyone but the most dedicated knee-dragger. Multi-Strada? Why go through all the hassle of owning a Ducati and wind up with a bike that's almost as ugly as a Strom?
Old 08-18-2008, 08:25 PM   #10
wpk1985
Registered Member

Here is a pic of me on a R1........

Last edited by BrowningBAR : 08-19-2008 at 05:54 AM.