Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 08-12-2008, 11:45 AM   #1
razortech
Registered Member

Question Is there any alternate ways of breaking-in a ninja 250r

The break-in for the ninja 250r is is apparently staying below 4000rpm for 500miles...that would be annoying. Is there any alternative way that is faster, and any on eknow of any side bags or tank bags that can be used on the ninja cause ill be using it to carry books a laptop and groceries once in a while.
razortech is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2008, 11:54 AM   #2
sachiwilson

Yeah, there is a hard-and-fast breakin technique that racers (and others) use for quickly getting an engine seated. Let me look around and see if I can find an explanation of the technique.

I do understand your concern - I broke in a Honda CB-1 (400 cc, very high revs per mph) back in 1989, and couldn't go on the freeway for what seemed like AGES!

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:13 PM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

What you do is whack the throttle full open and let it wind up to redline. Do that about 4 or 5 times, with a few minutes of normal operation in between. That will seal the rings. The rest of the bearing and stuff will be ok, just don't do WFO for extended periods.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:18 PM   #4
razortech
Registered Member

k thanks. Im checking if there are a few different options and are also looking for ppls opinion on which one is best. By the way wat is WFO?
razortech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:43 PM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by razortech View Post
k thanks. Im checking if there are a few different options and are also looking for ppls opinion on which one is best. By the way wat is WFO?
This is the website that gets all the attention: Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

WFO: Wide Fu<king Open
Old 08-12-2008, 01:18 PM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Remove seat and soak motorcycle in warm salt water for 48 hours. Replace seat. Discard the motorcycle..
Old 08-12-2008, 05:21 PM   #7
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Don't keep the motor at the same RPM for an extended period of time, go up and down in the rev range, and right before you shut it off, go through the gears hard on the throttle, right below the redline. Do that for a couple tanks of gas and you're set. Also, some folks run non-detergent single weight oil (like Valvolene 40R) for the first 300 miles, to scuff up the bore & seat the rings.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:03 AM   #8
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

These are the saddlebags I move between my big bike (Honda Blackbird) and my small bike (Ninja 250): Nelson-Rigg Silver Streak Deluxe Sport Saddelbags > Luggage & Bags > Street > SandhillsPowersports.com
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:20 PM   #9
acecycleins
Founding Member

The bike motor is bullet proof. Keep the revs below 5k and you're fine. Vary the speed often. If this style it too much to grasp take it to your local speed shop and ask them for 1hr slots and put it on a dyno. Won't go far, but you will rack up the miles.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:21 PM   #10
pushrod
Founding Member

The Joe Rocket soft saddlebags are supposed to be nice...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote