Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 08-06-2008, 10:02 AM   #1
jakescheel
Registered Member

Default WIll someone please help me out

i have been wanting a motorcycle for a while now and my aunt has an 82 goldwing is this a good bike for beginers?
jakescheel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2008, 10:10 AM   #2
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakescheel View Post
i have been wanting a motorcycle for a while now and my aunt has an 82 goldwing is this a good bike for beginers?
NO! But it is a good bike. Talk her out of it. Replace the tires and brake lines and get the carbs cleaned.
Go buy a 93-96 XL650- fall down. Get back up. And repeat. Take a MSF course and play with that $1500 bike until you get some skillz. Then sell it for what you paid and replace the worn out seat on that Wing before people start making fun of you.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:13 AM   #3
jakescheel
Registered Member

no im going to buy it from her. i dont really have much of an option since im broke
jakescheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:15 AM   #4
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Good lord. Do you really think you can start out on a Wing? I don't care HOW broke you are, you can find something better than that.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:23 AM   #5
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
Good lord. Do you really think you can start out on a Wing? I don't care HOW broke you are, you can find something better than that.
At least it’s an old Gold Wing which weighed in at about 690lbs versus a new Gold Wing that comes in at 930lbs with all the extras.

A 930lb motorcycle...good god, how is that fun?
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:53 AM   #6
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

WIll someone please help me out

Sure! Which way did you come in?

HAH! I'll be here all week, be sure to tip your waitresses.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:33 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

If you feel that you must then make sure you do the MSF course first. Then spend several hours in a large parking lot doing starts and stops and wheeling the bike around by hand. Leave plenty of following distance. I own an '80 Goldwing with '82 front calipers and the brakes need a strong squeeze. The CofG is pretty low so it doesn't tip over as easily as many bikes, but, Lord, learning on one of those is pretty stiff. Not as bad as learning on a Harley though. Don't skimp on the low speed practice maneuvers. Hope it has case guards.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:47 AM   #8
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
If you feel that you must then make sure you do the MSF course first. Then spend several hours in a large parking lot doing starts and stops and wheeling the bike around by hand. Leave plenty of following distance. I own an '80 Goldwing with '82 front calipers and the brakes need a strong squeeze. The CofG is pretty low so it doesn't tip over as easily as many bikes, but, Lord, learning on one of those is pretty stiff. Not as bad as learning on a Harley though. Don't skimp on the low speed practice maneuvers. Hope it has case guards.
Whew! For a moment there I thought you said Wheelieing. That would have been impressive.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:50 PM   #9
pushrod
Founding Member

I dunno about Harley's being hard to learn on.

Low Cg, huge flywheel (so it's less likely to stall); lots of rake, so the front is less likely to tuck under if you manage to apply too much brake...

Shoot, get a Dresser with the front and rear bars, they are even easy to pick up!

Saying all that, an old 'Wing, even one that runs properly, is not the ideal bike on which one should learn to ride. And it's a reach to think that a garage queen is going to run right.

If you ignore all of us, then try to remember one thing: If the bike starts to fall, get the h3ll away from it! You're not going to save it, and it'll damn sure ruin your leg and/or ankle.

Lastly- Seru, how are the old 'Wings on fuel? I seem to recall they were quite fond of it...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
I dunno about Harley's being hard to learn on.

Low Cg, huge flywheel (so it's less likely to stall); lots of rake, so the front is less likely to tuck under if you manage to apply too much brake...

Shoot, get a Dresser with the front and rear bars, they are even easy to pick up!

Saying all that, an old 'Wing, even one that runs properly, is not the ideal bike on which one should learn to ride. And it's a reach to think that a garage queen is going to run right.

If you ignore all of us, then try to remember one thing: If the bike starts to fall, get the h3ll away from it! You're not going to save it, and it'll damn sure ruin your leg and/or ankle.

Lastly- Seru, how are the old 'Wings on fuel? I seem to recall they were quite fond of it...
It runs close to 40mpg on my commutes. But fill the luggage and add my wife and run 75 on the Interstate and it drops to ~32. Makes it interesting touring out here in places where the gas stations are 150 miles apart. If I keep it below 70 then I get about 36, not too bad.

My wife loves the seat on it so she won't let me sell it. What a problem, eh?