Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   New "Big Guy" Rider (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/9075-new-big-guy-rider.html)

pdxdave 08-02-2008 12:27 AM

New "Big Guy" Rider

Hey everyone -
I'm looking to buy my first cruiser so that I can ride with my friends; these guys all have bikes - when we go anywhere, I have to take my car. What a drag!

I have a limited amount of riding experience, mostly when I was younger. I've never owned nor driven a cruiser and I'm looking for advice/suggestions, etc. on what might be options for this big, hairy dude to consider. I'm 6'3" and 350lbs! I need a bike that's going to support me, have decent get-up and go, and doesn't make me look like a grizzly bear riding a pocket bike!

Any suggestions on a bike, cc, size/style - anything!

Thanks for your help!

sarnali2 08-02-2008 07:23 AM

I'm about your size, a little shorter though..Suzuki Boulevard series and Yamaha/Star Silverados are pretty big bikes but they'd be a handfull to learn on. Mostly we recommend a smaller bike to learn on but at our size it's pretty well out of the question so you're kinda stuck. As long as you have some strength and balance to hold up a heavy bike like that, that's what I'd get. Be sure to buy low mile used if you can becuase you'll probably stall and drop it at some point, that's where the strength comes in, big as you are you can probably keep from dropping it. The Silverado's have crash bars so that'll help, take an MSF class and wear your helmet gloves and boots. good luck

Kenneth_Moore 08-02-2008 09:11 AM

With that size and weight, the usual answers for first bikes aren't going to cut it. Get a 750cc and up cruiser and make sure it has crash bars. I mean "engine guards."

12er 08-02-2008 09:58 AM

Are you long body or long legs? Long legs dont work too well on 24" seat heights. I have a 36" inseam and cant sit on most cruisers as my knee's work as steering locks. Well mini apes or ape hangers being the only option. I'd say get a Nighthawk 750 to start out on and get your groove back on a bike. Then after your comfortable on a bike again see if your buddies will let you ride theirs so you can get a better idea of what you want out of riding, and if a cruiser is even for you. Just remember a cruiser is a hell of a lot more comfortable in the show room than on the road. Slab speeds on a windshieldless cruiser = hanging on for dear life vs. being able to lean into the wind on a more standard bike like the Nighthawk. I say this more due to our size (I'm 6'6 315) as we are sails in the wind and our long arms put us more in the kick back position. Add in a 70+ mph head wind and your hanging on tight.

Lastly how is your back? Most cruisers with the more forward foot pegs or boards places all your weight on your lower back. Limited suspension travel on cruisers means most every bump goes right up your spine. So were back to the Nighthawk, still has some classic style with the chrome pipes and exposed engine, can be picked up used dirt cheap and has enough power to move you around without being intimidating. Ride it for 6 months to a year and decide on what you want then. Finally, buy all the gear! Full Face helmet, jacket, boots, gloves and at the very least a pair of draggin' jeans. If gear cost too much, price a skin graft.

The_AirHawk 08-02-2008 02:16 PM

Have you taken an MSF safety course in the last 5-years or so? If not, I predict you'll be a skin crayon before your new bike is old-enough for its first oil change.

Hopefully you'll survive it so you can tell your grandkids what terrible devices those "murdercycles" are.

longride 08-03-2008 05:36 AM

"Hopefully you'll survive it so you can tell your grandkids what terrible devices those "murdercycles" are."

I tell it to everyone that will listen. I encourage them to please take up golf.

The_AirHawk 08-03-2008 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 190512)
I tell it to everyone that will listen. I encourage them to please take up golf.

GOLF?!! Hell, that's F'n DANGEROUS! All them loonies out there with clubs, smackin' balls willy-nilly; usually the courses are located near serene Wildlife Santuaries that are full of Bears and Cougars, with the water-hazards filled with Alligators and venomous Cotton-mouth snakes! - hell, you're not even required to be licensed to drive one of them little carts!

That's extremely irresponsible of you - you should recommend Bowling from now on.

newagetwotone 08-03-2008 02:17 PM

Ever had a bowling ball dropped on your foot? now imagine someone with sweaty fingers loosing it on the back swing.... thats a horrible suggestion too!

Wii Bowling, now thats safe.

ac7ss 08-03-2008 07:52 PM

I am 6'3" 330 and comfortably ride my '82 Honda Sabre (750cc) with the Vulcans and Harleys when we have runs for work. I also use it for my daily commute (50+ miles each way). While a cruiser would be nice, spending that kind of $$$ for a replacement toy won't pass the budget test. The bike cost me about $1100 four years ago and runs great. I have to kill it to get the financing approval. :)

sarnali2 08-04-2008 06:45 AM

Fun bikes....

Quote:

Originally Posted by ac7ss (Post 190542)
I am 6'3" 330 and comfortably ride my '82 Honda Sabre (750cc) with the Vulcans and Harleys when we have runs for work. I also use it for my daily commute (50+ miles each way). While a cruiser would be nice, spending that kind of $$$ for a replacement toy won't pass the budget test. The bike cost me about $1100 four years ago and runs great. I have to kill it to get the financing approval. :)

I had an '84 V65 Sabre back in the early '90's, bought it for $1900, rode the crap out of it for a couple of years and sold it for $1500...hell of a deal LOL. I had to replace the regulator/rectifier and a connector, other than that it was a pretty decent bike.