Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 07-21-2008, 09:48 PM   #1
jogh
Registered Member

Default Need some advice

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum but I'm in need of some pro advice.
I'm 18 and thinking of getting a bike for riding around campus and the city. I'm looking for a sport type bike (I think) that works best for this and has good MPG and reliability. I'm also not looking for the top of the line bikes as I am a college student and am looking for something on the low end of the price range. Any tips are appreciated.
jogh is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-21-2008, 10:23 PM   #2
Jimmyhnrx
Registered Member

Craig's List. Just bought a 2001 Suzuki Intruder 14000 miles for under 3k. Search other city's not just where you live. Just check it out very well.
Jimmyhnrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:41 PM   #3
sachiwilson

Read the sticky thread in this Learning to Ride forum. It'll give you quite a bit of info on your choices.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:38 AM   #4
acecycleins
Founding Member

[QUOTE=jogh;189612].
I'm 18

Let's just Pick this apart:
"I'm 18"- usually a pretty tough age to insure most things on.
"bike for riding around campus and the city"- are you sure it's a bike you "need"?
"looking for a sport type bike (I think)"- please refer to "I'm 18" x 10.
"works best for this and has good MPG and reliability"- sound like you have two differing goals.

You need something that is economical and utilitarian. You need a VESPA. Or something like it. Think of it like this. Scooters are easy to maintain if you buy a four stroke version. They get between 50-80 mpg for the crappy versions. The things can be parked most anywhere. They can travel at hwy speeds if you buy a 250cc or up model and mostly- THEY ARE CHEAP TO INSURE. Which will become an issue if you take the sportbike route. Ride a scooter until you're done with school and sell it to the next kid when you're ready to leave. If you take care of it and it looks as good as when you bought it you might even get your money back from the initial investment.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:23 AM   #5
Amoryl
Registered Member

also remember that even though it's a scooter, you still need to wear proper riding gear just as if it's a supersport or a high end cruiser. scooters are still more like motorcycles than bicycles, meaning you need all the gear AND obey traffic laws as a motor vehicle, not a pedal bike. I see far FAR too many people (especially when I lived in a college town) ride scooters like a bike, ignoring lights, riding on bike trails, cutting across quads and fields, and behaving like they're not at all bound to traffic laws.
Amoryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:10 AM   #6
sachiwilson

Heck, even bicycles have to follow traffic laws (although they are permitted some variations, of course).

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:19 AM   #7
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
Heck, even bicycles have to follow traffic laws (although they are permitted some variations, of course).
That includes Speed Limits - I know one person who received a ticket for speeding on a bicycle. It was a downhill-slope, school zone - 20mph. He was busted for 28............

Of course, the indignation and protesting, combined with self-righteous posturing afterward didn't elicit much sympathy from myself. Bicyclists are among the WORST road-offenders I've ever seen. Possibly even more of a menace than Squidboys on Gixxer-thouz, Yo.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk; 07-22-2008 at 11:21 AM..
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:52 AM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
That includes Speed Limits - I know one person who received a ticket for speeding on a bicycle. It was a downhill-slope, school zone - 20mph. He was busted for 28............

Of course, the indignation and protesting, combined with self-righteous posturing afterward didn't elicit much sympathy from myself. Bicyclists are among the WORST road-offenders I've ever seen. Possibly even more of a menace than Squidboys on Gixxer-thouz, Yo.
Yes, but you have to understand. Their environmental conscientiousness makes them entirely superior to the common riff-raff. A friend of mine's daughter is always posturing about how wonderful she is because she doesn't have a car. She's better than everyone else and is not afraid to say so. I feel so badly now as I tear though the mountains spewing premix and blue smoke everywhere. I'm so ashamed. What should I do?
Old 07-25-2008, 01:12 AM   #9
william rozar
Banned

Default Need Some advice

Interpret the steamy filament in this learning to be carried forum. It shall bestow you reasonably a crumb of info on your choice.

Last edited by sachiwilson; 07-25-2008 at 09:54 AM..
william rozar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:27 AM   #10
newagetwotone
Registered Member

What the hell?
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote