Within the first month 3 42.86%
In between the 2nd and 3rd month 0 0%
After 3 months 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2008, 06:01 AM   #1
jshurak
Registered Member

Default How long before you took it to the highway

By highway, I mean something with on and off ramps that runs for miles and miles and miles! Like the turnpike or 95 or what ever!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2008, 07:28 AM   #2
lrredsoxfan06
Registered Member

I don't have a bike yet, but when I do get one, I'll give it two weeks max.

First week, I'll probably be timid. Parking lots, local side streets, learning the bike itself, etc is included in the first week for me..not 95!

Then I say two weeks max because the weather could be bad depending on when I get the bike. If its raining, snowing, whatever I won't be able to ride.
lrredsoxfan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:57 AM   #3
vermicious
Registered Member

First day. I bought a bike in lieu of a car -- highway riding was an immediate necessity.
vermicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:59 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Don't worry about it. Do this: Since most accidents happen within 15 miles of home, store your bike 15 miles away. Then you can ride safely anywhere. (Thx to Klazy Ken)
Old 07-09-2008, 10:36 AM   #5
12er
Founding Member

while speeds are higher you dont have to worry about cross traffic, so I find it much easier to ride the slab. Safe on the highway for me is 5 to 10 over traffic in the fast lane. Then you have nobody on your left and should be leaving most everyone behind. So forward and right is all you have to focus the most of your attention on. Still have to check the rear view often for the ones that will run up your backside just as in the cage. If you run the slow lane be very very alert to the jack@sses that swerve across 3 lanes not to miss their off ramp. They love to take a rider out.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:48 AM   #6
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

The first bike I rode on the street was a 250 Bultaco Matador with Trials Universal tires, that was back in the days of 70mph speed limits and 20 foot long Buicks. There was no way I was going on the freeway with that LOL

I think as a general rule you should wait as long as you can before you tackle freeway traffic, I've been doing this for a while and I-5 still puts the fear in me at times, to many d*ckheads in too much of a hurry.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:06 PM   #7
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I've been doing this for a while and I-5 still puts the fear in me at times, to many d*ckheads in too much of a hurry.
The key to safety is to get in the fast lane and put the hammer down, so that you're going a bit faster than other traffic. That way you can avoid having to pay as much attention to behind you, and you can ignore problems coming from your left. You also have a shoulder to escape to if needed.

Down here, it's the 15 between St Bernardino and Barstow that's a death trap. The only way I'll ride that is in the fast lane at 85-90.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:20 PM   #8
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
The key to safety is to get in the fast lane and put the hammer down, so that you're going a bit faster than other traffic. That way you can avoid having to pay as much attention to behind you, and you can ignore problems coming from your left. You also have a shoulder to escape to if needed.

that's what I do, you know how traffic is between Seattle and Tacoma, either crawling or hauling ass, sometimes at the same time !

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:52 PM   #9
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

Make sure you know how traffic runs in that particular area before you jump in. In other words run it in your cage, I'm assuming this is a ride necesitated by commuting, first so you know how it goes. Twice a day I cross an interchange of 2 red,white and blue routes and a state route thrown in as desert. Knowledge of how it works there made the first ride thru on a bike a little safer, I think. I can't imagine what it would have been like to have been an new rider unfamiliar with the road and the insanity that takes place there at quitting time. Familiarity allows me to be the aggressor.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:30 PM   #10
lrredsoxfan06
Registered Member

Staying in the fast lane does seem like the best way to ride as there is no traffic in the left lane, you have the shoulder as a scapegoat, etc. Since I am only 18 years old, and this will be my first street bike, my parents, family friends, etc are all telling me, BE CAREFUL. I'm mature for my age, but I can't control how someone else operates their vehicle. The fast lane, at least driving in the car, does seem the easiest to drive in. Either that, or the far right lane...but that's slower, lol.
lrredsoxfan06 is offline   Reply With Quote