Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 07-08-2008, 07:06 PM   #1
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Default Alright i've got a braintwister for you...

Alright lets start out by letting you know that I was pretty stunned and confused by this question, so I said I would forward it to some people who was more knowledgeable.

One of my lifetime friends is a rather successful small business owner and has recently become interested in open air vehicles. To give you some back story here, he can not ride a bike, never learned how. His fiance is blind and terrified of motorcycles (has been on one but feels horribly out of control "leaning like that") When he first asked me about "small open air vehicles" my response was "buy a Miata" he said smaller.

So to get to the point, he has proposed this question: He wants a motorcycle but can't balance and can't take this fiance with him, she wont let him buy one she cant ride on. Neither of them are small people either, he's over 6'4 and 300lbs+ and shes, not small. He found this online...

Tri-Cars

And was immediately over joyed. He wants to buy either one off those, a bike with a normal side car or a Trike.

Now my first thought is, first bike + goldwing = crash or worse, dead. But his situation is unique, I figured you guys would have something interesting to say. So, any ideas?
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2008, 07:12 PM   #2
lrredsoxfan06
Registered Member

From my 5 year relationship with my girlfriend, I have learned that when a girl wants something, they usually get it, lol. His fiance doesn't feel comfortable on a bike, so he is probably uneasy about getting one as is for her sake.

With the tri-car, it sounds like a good fit. If he were to take her out on a ride, she will probably let him know beforehand, don't speed, act crazy, turn wildly, etc etc.

I have never ridden a motorcycle myself, but I feel like he'd get used to a tri-car and wouldn't make bad choices with someone else riding with him. I don't know his past as far as speeding and such, but I'm assuming he wouldn't put his fiance at risk of injury, possibly death.

I hope this helps. Feel free to post more questions.
lrredsoxfan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:15 PM   #3
newagetwotone
Registered Member

He's had his license for a very short time, 3-4 months only got it to drive the company van (deliveries, to meetings and what not) but not a wreck, not a ticket. yet. This is something he was considering doing next spring, not right now.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:46 PM   #4
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Riding with a hack is a whole different thing from a two-wheeler. Different physics entirely. IMHO he would have a learning curve, but he is unlikely to dump it while he is learning!

He should however take a good hack class to be sure he understands the techniques he'll need to ride it. They are not necessarily obvious. I seem to recall that the MSF offers occasional classes; that would be one way to go. Otherwise he can check out Hack'd magazine for info both on the outfits and for potential training.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:10 PM   #5
newagetwotone
Registered Member

awesome Sachi. A GL1800 trike isn't going to send him tearing down the road or anything is it? (more worried about too much acceleration than anything.)
Old 07-08-2008, 08:58 PM   #6
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Not with one of those Hannigan hacks! Those things are heavy.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:20 PM   #7
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

What about one O' them 3-wheeled Roadster-thingies with the Honda CX-650 transverse-twin or MotoGuzzi engine in it?

(can't think of the name of them things)
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:53 AM   #8
lrredsoxfan06
Registered Member

That's true. I didn't think about how heavy it would be..
lrredsoxfan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:43 AM   #9
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Now my first thought is, first bike + goldwing = crash or worse, dead. But his situation is unique, I figured you guys would have something interesting to say. So, any ideas?"

Tell him to take up golf. Golf carts are open air vehicles, and the less people we have killing themselves, the less government 'attention' we will get to 'fix' the problem.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:51 AM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

There are vehicles with more than two wheels?