Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 07-09-2008, 01:41 PM   #21
pushrod
Founding Member

Can-Am is a good idea, but it'd be real easy to pitch his girl off the bike when he took a hot turn she couldn't see.

I gotta say, nerts on the bike idea. Several of his entering arguments are stacked WAY over in the 'bad idea' column.

Tell him to get a convertible. A BMW 330i is a tasty bit of sheetmetal. Or, as above, get a 'Stang.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2008, 05:01 PM   #22
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

This isn't exactly the thing I was thinkin' about - but it's the closest I could find with my teeny-tiny brain: http://thekneeslider.com/images/blackjackzero.jpg
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:49 PM   #23
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

The Morgan Three-Wheeler is what I was actually thinkin' about - or one of the replikas - heres a Harley-powered one:

http://thekneeslider.com/images/cyclecar2.jpg

http://thekneeslider.com/images/cyclecar2.jpg

But I think they're much-more "classy" looking with a Guzzi engine and drivetrain. Don't have a cobble-up so much crap, the Guzzi (or even a Honda CX or ST) drivetrain is already pretty-close to what one needs with minimal modifications.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:00 PM   #24
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Hm, I(underline that) want a Can-am spyder, set of Corbin saddlebags and seat and a month off from work to drive all over the country. Though it might be a good idea for him, especially with a corbin seat and backrest for his lady. I'll relay that to him. Im worried about leg room or the seating position being too "sporty" eh, what ever he can go sit on one there is a dealer about 20 minutes from here.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:15 AM   #25
bbtowns
Founding Member

Everyone looks at a bike with a side hack and says "I want one". Sidecars are cool looking. But 5% of those people still want one after they operate it for awhile. Sachi made some accurate points about training and handling, one of the things I noticed about driving one is that on slightly bending roads you constantly need to adjust your position in the lane, where bikes seem to do that without much thinking. Perhaps if I stuck with it more this would have gone away, but I'm thinking he should take a sidecar class (offered here in Portland through Adventure Sidecar) and see if he really likes it before considering a purchase.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:44 AM   #26
seruzawa
The Toad

The thing to remember about sidehacks is that no one ever thought, "Hey, I've got a great idea! I'll design a three wheeled vehicle with two wheels in tandem and one stuck out to the side like an outrigger! What a great idea! I bet we sell a million of 'em! They'll also be great for building up your left bicep and right tricep!" Sidecars are a solution from an era where a lot of people couldn't afford cars in Europe and the "solution" was to cobble together a sidecar so a guy could haul his family around, carry large amounts of stuff, etc. In virtually every area of engineering a sidecar is a bad idea. The fact that you need to tie bungies on to help hold the handlebar straight at speed is called a clue.

One of those three-wheeled thingies, with 2 wheels in front, that AirHawk wants so badly is a much much much better idea. They don't have those Can-Am computer devices to take all the fun out of it either.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:07 AM   #27
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Sidecars are a solution from an era where a lot of people couldn't afford cars in Europe and the "solution" was to cobble together a sidecar so a guy could haul his family around, carry large amounts of stuff, etc. In virtually every area of engineering a sidecar is a bad idea. The fact that you need to tie bungies on to help hold the handlebar straight at speed is called a clue.
Although everything you said is true, hacks are still *fun*!! That's why people continue to use them.

By the way, the steering issues you mention occur because the standard front fork suspension is designed for two wheels, not three. A front end that is designed to work with a chair will eliminate most or all of the side effects.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:51 AM   #28
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
This isn't exactly the thing I was thinkin' about - but it's the closest I could find with my teeny-tiny brain: http://thekneeslider.com/images/blackjackzero.jpg
That's the 3 wheeler they had at the St. Augustine M/C show! It was waaay cool!
Old 07-10-2008, 01:32 PM   #29
acecycleins
Founding Member

With protective gear and a half a litre of grey matter it would be pretty hard to F-up on the Can-Am. I got to ride one a few days ago and tried like h&ll to break the back end free. No dice! Stability and traction control do a great job of keeping the hooliganism to a minimum. It will, however, do 200ft burn-outs all day and night. But if you pitch it the computer re-tards (no jokes) the motor and everything quickly comes back into check. Didn't stop us from trying over and over, though.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:18 PM   #30
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
Although everything you said is true, hacks are still *fun*!! That's why people continue to use them.

By the way, the steering issues you mention occur because the standard front fork suspension is designed for two wheels, not three. A front end that is designed to work with a chair will eliminate most or all of the side effects.
The fact that they are engineering abortions is probably the reason they are so much fun.