Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2008, 07:31 AM   #11
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

Buy a Mustang convertible, a GT would be best. Motorcycling is not going to work for this guy, for one thing he's a big SOB, anything short of a Goldwing or Road Glide is going to feel like a monkey humping a football. Both weigh a ton and he can't balance, ergo he's going to kiss the highway on a pretty regular basis with a very spendy and heavy motorcycle. His old lady is not going to be comfortable so it's a one sided proposition in the first place, biting the dust, hurting himself and shelling out bucks for repairs is going to nail the coffin shut in pretty short order.

Buy the Mustang, drop the top, crank up the jams, grab a Latte` and hit the road. You'll both be happier in the long run..
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2008, 09:00 AM   #12
vermicious
Registered Member
 
vermicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 553
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
Riding with a hack is a whole different thing from a two-wheeler. Different physics entirely. IMHO he would have a learning curve, but he is unlikely to dump it while he is learning!

He should however take a good hack class to be sure he understands the techniques he'll need to ride it. They are not necessarily obvious.
I can back Sachi up on all points based on my own experience. It might actually be easier for a non-rider to adapt to riding with a hack as I long time riders tend to get steering paralysis the first time out
vermicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:01 AM   #13
acecycleins
Founding Member
 
acecycleins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 4,129
Default

Tell him to find a used T-Rex. Motorcycle powered, Two front wheel, Bucket seats. All for the low, low price of $30K. $43k if you want video- check out the premium members link to fwd an ebay find I just insured for a guy in Florida.Campagna- Fun, Style, Performance

here, did your homework for you:
__________________
"Slack" - a state of being in which everything flows smoothly.....a frame of mind so at ease that the universe naturally cooperates.

Last edited by acecycleins : 07-09-2008 at 09:18 AM.
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:16 AM   #14
newagetwotone
Registered Member
 
newagetwotone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,302
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Buy a Mustang convertible, a GT would be best. Motorcycling is not going to work for this guy, for one thing he's a big SOB, anything short of a Goldwing or Road Glide is going to feel like a monkey humping a football. Both weigh a ton and he can't balance, ergo he's going to kiss the highway on a pretty regular basis with a very spendy and heavy motorcycle. His old lady is not going to be comfortable so it's a one sided proposition in the first place, biting the dust, hurting himself and shelling out bucks for repairs is going to nail the coffin shut in pretty short order.

Buy the Mustang, drop the top, crank up the jams, grab a Latte` and hit the road. You'll both be happier in the long run..
ok so how can you have a balance problem when you have a trike?
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:18 AM   #15
newagetwotone
Registered Member
 
newagetwotone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,302
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Tell him to find a used T-Rex. Motorcycle powered, Two front wheel, Bucket seats. All for the low, low price of $30K. $43k if you want video- check out the premium members link to fwd an ebay find I just insured for a guy in Florida.
Now THAT is cool, i want one of those..

anyways, its considered a motorcycle(insurance wise)? hm, awesome. That might be a good thing to suggest to him...
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:32 AM   #16
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagetwotone View Post
ok so how can you have a balance problem when you have a trike?
Pretty easy, did you ever ride one of those Honda three wheelers? it's pretty easy to get out of shape on those. A three wheeled motorcycle is going to handle pretty strangely too, not neccissarily a balance issue but a point it in the right direction issue.
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:36 AM   #17
newagetwotone
Registered Member
 
newagetwotone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,302
Default

Got ya. I road a couple of 3-wheeled ATVs years back but the only time i turned one of those over was hitting a rock...erm, boulder far to fast... I have no experience at all with side cars or trikes so i figured I'd ask.

The other suggestion I had made was him looking at like a 650 burgman and a set of those training wheel things our biker cops use in the winter, not sure if he'd go for it or not.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:40 AM   #18
acecycleins
Founding Member
 
acecycleins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 4,129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagetwotone View Post
Got ya. I road a couple of 3-wheeled ATVs years back but the only time i turned one of those over was hitting a rock...erm, boulder far to fast... I have no experience at all with side cars or trikes so i figured I'd ask.

The other suggestion I had made was him looking at like a 650 burgman and a set of those training wheel things our biker cops use in the winter, not sure if he'd go for it or not.
The out-rigger style trike set-ups are junk. Buy a Can-Am Spyder for $16K first.
__________________
"Slack" - a state of being in which everything flows smoothly.....a frame of mind so at ease that the universe naturally cooperates.
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:41 AM   #19
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator
 
sachiwilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagetwotone View Post
ok so how can you have a balance problem when you have a trike?
Go too fast around a corner and you can lift a wheel. On a trike with two wheels in the back, you can easily tip over. That's why the old three-wheel offroad vehicles were replaced by Quads. And also why manufacturers like T-Rex and Polaris are making their three wheelers with two wheels in the front.

A sidehack outfit needs two different techniques -- one for left turns (which transfers weight to the hack wheel) and one for right turns (which transfers all the weight off the hack wheel.) Left turns are pretty easy on a hack, but if you really overdo it you can lift the motorcycle rear wheel! As for right-hand turns, it's pretty easy to lift the hack wheel right off the ground. A skilled rider can fly the chair, but you do have to know how to balance the rig.

In short it takes practice and understanding of the physics involved.
__________________
Frappé LaRue
*Safety Queen*
Are you a Rounder?

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:05 AM   #20
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

I think the Miata is a great suggestion if they can fit. A Mini-Cooper convertible is an excellent alternative if he needs more room. Lastly, he could and get a Can-Am Spyder at his local powersports dealer. They have so much computer nanny built in, he'd never get in trouble.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off