Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 07-10-2008, 09:58 AM   #71
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrredsoxfan06 View Post
I compiled a list of questions for possible bike prospect owners.

It is as follows:

Where has the motorcycle been stored while it has been idle? How long as the bike been idle?

Have you ever gotten a full service for your bike? If so, when is the last time? If not, have you ever gotten it serviced?

When was the last time you changed the oil on the motorcycle?

Have the tires ever been replaced, or have the original ones always been on the bike?

Are these good questions to ask? Should I make them more specific? Should I ask anymore questions?

Thanks.
I've bought dozens of used bikes over the years and I never bother with many questions. The bikes' conditions speak for themselves. I simply figure that the guy with the bike will tell any lie to sell it.

check out Gabes's artcicles on buying used bikes on this page under "tips and tricks" http://www.motorcycle.com/how-to/index.html

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2008, 10:35 AM   #72
lrredsoxfan06
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
I've bought dozens of used bikes over the years and I never bother with many questions. The bikes' conditions speak for themselves. I simply figure that the guy with the bike will tell any lie to sell it.

check out Gabes's artcicles on buying used bikes on this page under "tips and tricks" http://www.motorcycle.com/how-to/index.html
You're probably right about people lying to get the bike off of their hands. I mean, I might as well because I may seem like I know what I'm talking about, and they may tell the truth. Plus, I THINK there are still some honest people out there, lol.

Thanks for the information and the link.
lrredsoxfan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:40 AM   #73
lrredsoxfan06
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
The best way to get rust out of a tank is to add about a 1/2 gallon of gas, drop a lite match in it and run like a gosh darn son-of-a-gun...seriously, there's loads of excellent running used bikes out there, as noted, don't buy someone else's headache.

Find a bike someones been riding daily, usually a person who wants a new bike, balks at getting shellacked by the dealer on trade in value and sells it on his or her own. That's the bike you want, it's been ridden if not daily then consistantly so mantainance and upkeep would most likely have been performed, you avoid the endless headaches of farting around with gummed up carbs, kinked chains, hard and cracked tires and general neglect that happens to a lot of bikes that have been parked for years. They're out there, you just have to look and be patient.
Haha, yea. Now that I have been a little more patient with my search for a bike, I am coming across more and more good ones. Of course there are bikes with MINOR problems such as scratched fairings, maybe a blinker doesn't work, etc., but I know those aren't as big of problems as a gummed up carb or rusted gas tank.

I think I'm timid and asking a lot of questions about 'what to do if ...?', etc. because I'm anticipating a bad occasion. There are good bike owners, and good bikes out there, yes, but this will be my first bike, my first big transaction if you will, so I'm a little nervous. Hopefully everything goes well is all...

Time will tell though..

Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:08 PM   #74
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrredsoxfan06 View Post
You're probably right about people lying to get the bike off of their hands. I mean, I might as well because I may seem like I know what I'm talking about, and they may tell the truth. Plus, I THINK there are still some honest people out there, lol.

Thanks for the information and the link.
If you are serious about learning about motorcycles and apply yourself to the subject you will soon learn that the vast majority of m/c owners are not very knowledgeable and after a few years experience you will also discover that after a short inspection of a bike you will know more about it than the owner does.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:40 PM   #75
lrredsoxfan06
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
If you are serious about learning about motorcycles and apply yourself to the subject you will soon learn that the vast majority of m/c owners are not very knowledgeable and after a few years experience you will also discover that after a short inspection of a bike you will know more about it than the owner does.
Yea, I can definately see that in myself. Ever since I was young, when I started learned about a new subject, I've always stuck to it until I learned enough where I was teaching people.

Motorcycles right now is my new subject and I thank you guys for the lessons!
Old 08-05-2008, 03:26 PM   #76
lrredsoxfan06
Registered Member

I haven't been here in a while, but while I was gone, I was looking into bikes. Ironically, you guys gave me some advice, and some said a Kawasaki Ninja 250 or 500 would be a great starter bike, and there is one RIGHT DOWN MY STREET. I never noticed it until you guys gave me advice.

Any way, I think a Ninja 250 or a Ninja 500 might be too small for me. My friend recently got an '08 Suzuki GSX. He's probably about 5 inches shorter than me, as I'm 6' 3". The bike looks a little big for him, but he manages. Being 6' 3", I think I'll grow out of a Ninja 250 or Ninja 500 fairly quickly.

Are there any other bikes that are under or a little over $3000 that will fit my height and experience? I'm a new rider to refresh everyone's minds.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:05 PM   #77
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

KLR 650 - single-cylinder street-legal dualsport with lots of ground clearance. They've been making them forever, and most of them will continue running about 50-years after the Sun burns-out.

Might not be the sportbike you want - but for your size and weight, a bike with the abilities of the KLR might be the "ideal" bike for YOU.

However, only YOU can make that decision.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:08 PM   #78
lrredsoxfan06
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
KLR 650 - single-cylinder street-legal dualsport with lots of ground clearance. They've been making them forever, and most of them will continue running about 50-years after the Sun burns-out.

Might not be the sportbike you want - but for your size and weight, a bike with the abilities of the KLR might be the "ideal" bike for YOU.

However, only YOU can make that decision.
Right right, I totally understand about buying for me. I'm big on Nikes and Jordans as well, and I'm kind of the teacher in that hobby of mine. Kids start to collect, and I tell them, buy what YOU like, NOT what EVERYONE ELSE likes.

I mean, I'm going to keep searching around, and will probably end up getting a bike over $3000 or so to get something a little bigger and little faster.

Maybe a Ninja 500 will work, I don't know..

Anyone else have a suggestion or two?
Old 08-06-2008, 06:59 PM   #79
lrredsoxfan06
Registered Member

Any other suggestions for starter bikes other than a KLR, or a Ninja 250, or a Ninja 500?
Old 08-06-2008, 07:39 PM   #80
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Did you read through the sticky thread in this learning to ride forum? It's all there.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote