Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   I'm NEW to all of this...ALL help appreciated!! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/8707-im-new-all-all-help-appreciated.html)

sachiwilson 07-09-2008 03:42 PM

Carbs are expensive to replace. What you would want to do is clean them out if possible. I *think* (but don't know for sure; I know someone else will chime in) that a carb can get gummed up to the point of no return, and in that case new carbs will be needed.

What you want to see is a bike that runs cleanly, both at idle and at speed under load.

Another thing to check for if a bike has been sitting is the gas tank. Is it full of rust? Trying to keep rust particles from clogging a carb is an exercise in futility.

lrredsoxfan06 07-09-2008 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachiwilson (Post 188731)
Carbs are expensive to replace. What you would want to do is clean them out if possible. I *think* (but don't know for sure; I know someone else will chime in) that a carb can get gummed up to the point of no return, and in that case new carbs will be needed.

What you want to see is a bike that runs cleanly, both at idle and at speed under load.

Another thing to check for if a bike has been sitting is the gas tank. Is it full of rust? Trying to keep rust particles from clogging a carb is an exercise in futility.

Yea, people have mentioned the gas tank. Say it is full of rust, how would you go about cleaning it out, or whatever? I mean, what would you do if it was rusted?

sachiwilson 07-09-2008 05:58 PM

There are a few methods. If it isn't too bad, the traditional method is to take the tank off, put in a handful of bolts and nuts, and shake the tank for a few hours to knock off all the crud. Then flush it out really well! It *does* work, but obviously that's a lot of work!

It is also possible to get a tank cleaned by a professional. Or you can clean it and use a tank coating -- it's been a long while since I was up on which coatings are good and which bad, so that's as far as I can go on the advice.

Kenneth_Moore 07-09-2008 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lrredsoxfan06 (Post 188736)
Yea, people have mentioned the gas tank. Say it is full of rust, how would you go about cleaning it out, or whatever? I mean, what would you do if it was rusted?

Open the tank and point a flashlight in there. If it's rusty, move along. The exception is if you're buying a rare collectible, and you aren't. Buy a bike that's running well, there's no reason to buy somebody else's problems. There are always great bikes for sale that somebody just got tired of. The owner won't want to let you ride it; so, tell him you want to follow him around for a few miles. You can see how easily it starts, if it blows smoke on acceleration, alal sorts of stuff. If he/she won't do it, move along.

The_AirHawk 07-09-2008 06:30 PM

Oddly enough, there's an electrolysis method using warm salt water and a battery charger that will de-rust a fuel tank.............

(with the "warm salt water" bath being a standing joke around here)

lrredsoxfan06 07-09-2008 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachiwilson (Post 188751)
There are a few methods. If it isn't too bad, the traditional method is to take the tank off, put in a handful of bolts and nuts, and shake the tank for a few hours to knock off all the crud. Then flush it out really well! It *does* work, but obviously that's a lot of work!

It is also possible to get a tank cleaned by a professional. Or you can clean it and use a tank coating -- it's been a long while since I was up on which coatings are good and which bad, so that's as far as I can go on the advice.

Hey, a little bit of information goes a long way. As the title says, ALL help appreciated.

Thanks.

lrredsoxfan06 07-09-2008 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 188757)
Open the tank and point a flashlight in there. If it's rusty, move along. The exception is if you're buying a rare collectible, and you aren't. Buy a bike that's running well, there's no reason to buy somebody else's problems. There are always great bikes for sale that somebody just got tired of. The owner won't want to let you ride it; so, tell him you want to follow him around for a few miles. You can see how easily it starts, if it blows smoke on acceleration, alal sorts of stuff. If he/she won't do it, move along.

True true. I have found a bunch of bikes for sale around my area, and a lot have cracks or scratches on the fairings. They don't bother me as much.

Basically what I'm trying to figure out with the gas tank being rusted, or the carbs needed replacement, etc., what is the price on them, and the work needed to be put into fixing these particular problems. I don't expect to find a basically brand new, used bike, for a used bike price. I am more or less looking for a bike with the least amount of problems, but with the best price at that. I doubt I will find a PERFECT bike, you know? There will be a bike that stands out in my eyes, and I will more than likely roll with that one.

Thanks for the advice.

seruzawa 07-10-2008 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lrredsoxfan06 (Post 188775)
True true. I have found a bunch of bikes for sale around my area, and a lot have cracks or scratches on the fairings. They don't bother me as much.

Basically what I'm trying to figure out with the gas tank being rusted, or the carbs needed replacement, etc., what is the price on them, and the work needed to be put into fixing these particular problems. I don't expect to find a basically brand new, used bike, for a used bike price. I am more or less looking for a bike with the least amount of problems, but with the best price at that. I doubt I will find a PERFECT bike, you know? There will be a bike that stands out in my eyes, and I will more than likely roll with that one.

Thanks for the advice.

A fuel tank, if even available will cost hundreds. A bank of 4 new carbs will run you close to $2K on most any motorcycle.... if they are even available. Sometimes one can find them on ebay, but often those are crap too. Avoid motorcycles that are "ready to restore", "need a little tlc" or whatever other bs some @$$hole is hawking to get some sucker to buy his POS. There are plenty of good running motorcycles out there. Don't waste your time with some crooked jerk's 'fixer upper'.

Kenneth_Moore 07-10-2008 05:44 AM

Deadsocksfan, how much money can you spend on bike? You tell Klazy Ken. He find you nice bike for dat much.

sarnali2 07-10-2008 07:24 AM

The best way to get rust out of a tank is to add about a 1/2 gallon of gas, drop a lite match in it and run like a gosh darn son-of-a-gun...seriously, there's loads of excellent running used bikes out there, as noted, don't buy someone else's headache.

Find a bike someones been riding daily, usually a person who wants a new bike, balks at getting shellacked by the dealer on trade in value and sells it on his or her own. That's the bike you want, it's been ridden if not daily then consistantly so mantainance and upkeep would most likely have been performed, you avoid the endless headaches of farting around with gummed up carbs, kinked chains, hard and cracked tires and general neglect that happens to a lot of bikes that have been parked for years. They're out there, you just have to look and be patient.