Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 07-08-2008, 12:12 PM   #51
lrredsoxfan06
Registered Member

Oh ok, I've got it. Its just like a car in the sense that a well maintanenced vehicle will last longer...leading to more miles.

What are things to look for before buying a used bike? With this, I mean, what are some typical problems with used bikes that sit for awhile? The gas tank needs to be cleaned, cracking of anything?, etc.

Thanks.
lrredsoxfan06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2008, 12:36 PM   #52
pushrod
Founding Member

Bikes are like any other machine. If it sits outside in the sun and rain, it'll be much worse off than one that is kept inside, preferably nowhere near an ozone-generating electric motor.

Here's some general vehicle-buying tips:

Look for dry cracking of the tire sidewalls; see if you can stick a thumbnail in the tread. If it's as hard as a No. 2 pencil, you'll be buying tires immediately.

Look at the tailpipe. Stick a finger in and get a good swipe. If you get a bunch of black slime, the bike is either running really rich, or the guy never changed oil and/or the rings are shot.

Open the gas tank. Smell the aroma that wafts out. If it smells sickly sweet, the fluid therein has been there way too long, and you will need to drain and flush the tank. Probably need to rebuild the carb(s) as well.

Determine how much is either damaged or not original. Find out the reasons. Look at the bike from the front and back. If the bike looks out-of-kilter, it may have been crashed.

Lastly, when you find a bike that you like the looks of, and have maybe even sat on it, get back to us for some specific information.

Tally-ho!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:52 PM   #53
lrredsoxfan06
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Bikes are like any other machine. If it sits outside in the sun and rain, it'll be much worse off than one that is kept inside, preferably nowhere near an ozone-generating electric motor.

Here's some general vehicle-buying tips:

Look for dry cracking of the tire sidewalls; see if you can stick a thumbnail in the tread. If it's as hard as a No. 2 pencil, you'll be buying tires immediately.

Look at the tailpipe. Stick a finger in and get a good swipe. If you get a bunch of black slime, the bike is either running really rich, or the guy never changed oil and/or the rings are shot.

Open the gas tank. Smell the aroma that wafts out. If it smells sickly sweet, the fluid therein has been there way too long, and you will need to drain and flush the tank. Probably need to rebuild the carb(s) as well.

Determine how much is either damaged or not original. Find out the reasons. Look at the bike from the front and back. If the bike looks out-of-kilter, it may have been crashed.

Lastly, when you find a bike that you like the looks of, and have maybe even sat on it, get back to us for some specific information.

Tally-ho!
Great information. It all sounds like minor stuff, or at least easy to check out when the bike is right in front of you.

Hopefully I will be going out to buy a bike by October or November as I have to save up, but these tips will stay with me.

Thanks so much for all the information you guys have brought me!
Old 07-09-2008, 09:12 AM   #54
lrredsoxfan06
Registered Member

I compiled a list of questions for possible bike prospect owners.

It is as follows:

Where has the motorcycle been stored while it has been idle? How long as the bike been idle?

Have you ever gotten a full service for your bike? If so, when is the last time? If not, have you ever gotten it serviced?

When was the last time you changed the oil on the motorcycle?

Have the tires ever been replaced, or have the original ones always been on the bike?

Are these good questions to ask? Should I make them more specific? Should I ask anymore questions?

Thanks.

Last edited by lrredsoxfan06 : 07-09-2008 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:29 AM   #55
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

You can also ask if/when the chain and/or sprockets and brake pads were last replaced. But you need to do a visual inspection of the bike to make sure. For example, check the tread depth of the tires, check the thickness of the brake pads, check the chain and rear sprocket for wear. To see if a bike has ever fallen over or been dropped (at any speed), check the bar ends, fairings, tank, engine covers, and muffler(s) for scratches/dings/cracks. And make sure you take the bike for a test ride; after you've taken the MSF course, of course.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:15 AM   #56
lrredsoxfan06
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable View Post
You can also ask if/when the chain and/or sprockets and brake pads were last replaced. But you need to do a visual inspection of the bike to make sure. For example, check the tread depth of the tires, check the thickness of the brake pads, check the chain and rear sprocket for wear. To see if a bike has ever fallen over or been dropped (at any speed), check the bar ends, fairings, tank, engine covers, and muffler(s) for scratches/dings/cracks. And make sure you take the bike for a test ride; after you've taken the MSF course, of course.
Ok, good. I am on to something, lol. I am actually learning something, haha.

Thanks for the things to look for. I believe someone else earlier posted similar stuff, so thanks to him or her too.

I'm getting more and more excited for a bike.

What sites do you recommend to buy gear? (Helmets, jackets, etc.)
Old 07-09-2008, 01:28 PM   #57
pushrod
Founding Member

Check the 'new bike" 'sticky'. There are a myriad of choices, and many sources.

One thing you can do is go to your local shops and try things on, and see what they look like up close. Then check pricing against e-shop prices.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:57 PM   #58
lrredsoxfan06
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Check the 'new bike" 'sticky'. There are a myriad of choices, and many sources.

One thing you can do is go to your local shops and try things on, and see what they look like up close. Then check pricing against e-shop prices.
Ok, great, I'll definitely check out that sticky.

Yea, I was planning on checking out a few local shops to get my sizes down more or less, and see what different styles are out there. I'm not really worried about the prices as I'll pay them to get good quality. We'll see what surfaces up though.

Another question...how long does a bike have to sit with gas in the tank before it starts to 'rot'?
Old 07-09-2008, 03:08 PM   #59
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Not too long. Six months is enough to start gumming up carbs.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:44 PM   #60
lrredsoxfan06
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
Not too long. Six months is enough to start gumming up carbs.
Wow, that's not long at all! All my bike prospects have been sitting for a good while, so I'll definately be checking that out when the time comes.

When the carbs start to 'rot', and gas sits in the tank too long, what has to be fixed?, replaced? How much would it be? Are carbs expensive to replace?

Thanks again guys!