Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 07-07-2008, 03:13 PM   #31
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

I don't hear any bashing. Just intelligent consideration of what we're telling you. You'll make a good decision, I'm sure.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2008, 03:23 PM   #32
12er
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrredsoxfan06 View Post
I understand where you are coming from. Before I buy any bike, I will run the numbers on insurance, all the work that needs to be done since I will be buying used, the gear that will need to be bought, etc.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but by the looks of it, $2000 - $5000 plus per year for a Ninja 500 or a Suzuki GS500 seems high. Don't get me wrong, $2000 - $3000 is probably more accurate..Acecycleins, can you please run the numbers for me on a Ninja 500 and a Suzuki GS500?

Also before I buy any bike, I will sit on the bike of course, test the leg room, and test drive it if the owner will let me.

I hope I don't seem like I am bashing you, or trying to act like I'm smarter or better than you. Just replying to what you said..conversating is all.

Thanks for all the new information.
dont know what the ninja and suzuki 500's run. But the 600 super sports tend to run the 2k to 5k for a new rider. Price the bikes you like and call your agent to see if you can swing the insurance. That will help you narrow it down real fast. Then figure $1000 for gear into your budget, you may be able to find everything for half that but what fits and you like limit selection. Personally my riding gear is about $1800. With a Dual sport you can run some of your MX gear without looking out of place. Helmet at least, boots too if they are comfy for ya. Just depends on how deep your wallet is.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:35 PM   #33
lrredsoxfan06
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
I don't hear any bashing. Just intelligent consideration of what we're telling you. You'll make a good decision, I'm sure.
Ok good, lol. I didn't want to come off the wrong way.

Thanks.
lrredsoxfan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:40 PM   #34
lrredsoxfan06
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
dont know what the ninja and suzuki 500's run. But the 600 super sports tend to run the 2k to 5k for a new rider. Price the bikes you like and call your agent to see if you can swing the insurance. That will help you narrow it down real fast. Then figure $1000 for gear into your budget, you may be able to find everything for half that but what fits and you like limit selection. Personally my riding gear is about $1800. With a Dual sport you can run some of your MX gear without looking out of place. Helmet at least, boots too if they are comfy for ya. Just depends on how deep your wallet is.
Oh ok, I understand as far as the insurance with the 600 dual sport bikes insurance. The three main bikes I am looking at right now are the Ninja 250, Ninja 500, and a Suzuki GS500. According to a few who have replied here, and after some research, these are some of the slower, beginning rider friendly, sport bikes.

Based off of this, is there another bike equivalent to the Ninja 250, or close to it? (Something like...Ninja 500 = Suzuki GS500)

I've also done some research on riding gear, and I am kind of weeding out stuff I don't like, while finding some sites, stores, and gear I do like.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:53 PM   #35
lrredsoxfan06
Registered Member

How often do motorcycles need an oil change?

To buy a used bike..what's a good mileage range?
For example, I've seen bikes for sale that have 1,000 miles on it, to bikes that have 13,000 miles on it. For starters, or someone like me, what's a good range to look for as far as miles?

Thanks again, and sorry for all the questions, lol.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:25 PM   #36
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

3000 miles is the standard for oil changes.

As far as a "good mileage range", it depends on how old the bike is and what it is. Some bikes (Goldwings, some BMWs, other touring bikes) can go well over 100K miles with no problems. All out sport bikes, on the other hand, tend to be thrashed at lower miles.

An old bike with exceptionally low miles (say, for example, you find a 1996 Nighthawk with less than a thousand miles) are NOT necessarily good deals. Motorcycles deteriorate when they are not used; an older bike that has not been used may have aged and cracked rubber bits, the engine seals may have dried up (so they no longer fit, and they'll leak), the tires will be unusable, and so on.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:56 PM   #37
lrredsoxfan06
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
3000 miles is the standard for oil changes.

As far as a "good mileage range", it depends on how old the bike is and what it is. Some bikes (Goldwings, some BMWs, other touring bikes) can go well over 100K miles with no problems. All out sport bikes, on the other hand, tend to be thrashed at lower miles.

An old bike with exceptionally low miles (say, for example, you find a 1996 Nighthawk with less than a thousand miles) are NOT necessarily good deals. Motorcycles deteriorate when they are not used; an older bike that has not been used may have aged and cracked rubber bits, the engine seals may have dried up (so they no longer fit, and they'll leak), the tires will be unusable, and so on.
Good information, thanks so much!

Is a 2002 Ninja 250 with about 800 miles a good deal? The owner said he recently cleaned out the carb and gas tank too. How many more miles you think this bike has?

Another prospect is a 1997 Ninja 250 with about 8000 miles. Again, how many miles you think this bike has left in it?

Last, there is a bike for sale that is a 2003 Ninja 500 with a little over 8500 miles. Good pick?

By the way, when I ask if the above bikes are good deals, I mean as far as miles. I wouldn't mention them if they were out of my price range. I know good prices, lol, that's the easy part. As a beginner, I am learning ins and outs of specs, gas mileage, etc etc.

You also say, sport bikes 'tend to be thrashed at lower miles'. 'Lower miles' being 20000 - 30000? How many are you referring to?

Last edited by lrredsoxfan06 : 07-07-2008 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:57 PM   #38
lrredsoxfan06
Registered Member

Is there another bike equivalent to the Ninja 250, or close to it? (Something like...Ninja 500 = Suzuki GS500)
Old 07-07-2008, 05:15 PM   #39
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrredsoxfan06 View Post
Is there another bike equivalent to the Ninja 250, or close to it? (Something like...Ninja 500 = Suzuki GS500)
Honda VTR 250. But they don't sell 'em here anymore. Only from '88 to '90 - until the update last year of the Ninja 250, the VTR was STILL a superior bike (better suspended, motor made a tad more power, less vibes, better rubber). Now, I don't know which one is the "better" bike - probably the Ninja, 'cuz they updated the parts that were sorely lacking compared to the VTR.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:36 PM   #40
lrredsoxfan06
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Honda VTR 250. But they don't sell 'em here anymore. Only from '88 to '90 - until the update last year of the Ninja 250, the VTR was STILL a superior bike (better suspended, motor made a tad more power, less vibes, better rubber). Now, I don't know which one is the "better" bike - probably the Ninja, 'cuz they updated the parts that were sorely lacking compared to the VTR.
Cool. That's some nice information, thanks.

Any help with post #37 I posted?

Also, Acecycleins, please help with those insurance quotes if possible.

Thanks guys.